Membership - Correct behavior for Unsubscribe Button for Paypal

We are testing the "unsubscribe" button for a subscription that we signed up with Paypal.

We clicked on "Unsubscribe" button in the user's account and were redirected to the Paypal account. When we login into Paypal, we get the following message:

"The unsubscribe button you clicked is invalid. You can find the status of all subscriptions in 'My preapproved payments'."

Is this the correct behavior for the "unsubscribe"? Do we need to manually remove the subscription in Paypal account?

We ask this because we've used another plugin in the past that automatically cancelled the Paypal recurring payment once the user clicked on "Unsubscribe".

• Domas
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hello Hector,

I hope you are well today and thanks for asking!

Can you please tell me which subscription method are you using finite, indefinite or serial as that will depend how the button works.

Thanks,
    Domas

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hello there Hector,

Thanks for posting back.

I personally recommend the user does it direct in PayPal in the my pre-approved payments however the button improvement is in progress as the new release of Membership plugin is being worked upon by our lead developers.

In the meantime, can you kindly try the approach suggested here : https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/thanks-for-such-great-plugin-i-am-using-membership-plugin#post-547439 and see if that helps ?

Is that also happening in live mode or only in Sandbox mode ?

Please advise.

Cheers, PC

• Hector Torres
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Hello Mac,

We read the post you sent us like to. In there it said that someone had this problem and fixed it by adding the "Paypal Merchant Id" instead of the Paypal email in the Paypal settings of the plugin.

We checked our settings and indeed we had our Paypal email in the field "PayPal Merchant Account ID" instead of the Paypal merchant id.

So we changed the email to the merchant id. We tried the "Unsubscribe" again and got the same result. I'm attaching a screen shot of the Paypal screen we get re-directed to after clicking i\on Unsubscribe. And the URL we get re-directed to is:
    https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_subscr-find&alias=OUR_PAYPAL_MERCHANT_ID

OUR_PAYPAL_MERCHANT_ID is our actual paypal merchant id.

• Hector Torres

PS I forgot the following:

First thanks for your reply.

We are using LIVE Paypal mode.

You also mentioned "I personally recommend the user does it direct in PayPal in the my pre-approved payments" . Unfortunately, that is very inconvenient and confusing to the user. Users want to take the least number of steps possible. If the user needs to take all of these steps to unsubscribe, they will end up contacting us for help. We've already experienced this in the past with other plugins.

So if automatic "unsubscribe" is not an option now, please ask the developers to implement this in the future.

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hello there Hector,

Thanks for posting back and trying that out for me.

I also see the same issue on my PayPal sandbox and unfortunately I can not test with PayPal live as its not allowed to be used to charge people in India.

I have sent a note to our developer @Rheinard so that he is aware about this and with the new version, we can get this fixed and streamline the unsubscribe feature.

He should be around with his feedback soon.

Cheers, PC

• Rheinard

Hi @Hector Torres,

Unfortunately at this time PC's suggestion is the best recommended way to cancel a subscription. Its the way that PayPal Standard's operation works, that said, you are right in saying that some plugins have found a work around.

At this stage we are not too keen on implementing the workaround in our current version as it is relying on older PayPal API's and a bit of a hacky way to make it happen. We are, however, looking to improve the experience here as we're reviewing our gateways to ensure we're using current API's that do not require work arounds.

We WILL definitely look into getting this issue resolved as we too agree that this is not the best experience for end users. Unfortunately I cannot give you a definitive time frame at this stage as new code still needs to be developed and tested.

Cheers,
    Rheinard

• Hector Torres

Mac and Rheinard, thanks a lot for your replies. I hope to see some type of automatic unsubscribe from Paypal in a future release.

So when the user goes into Paypal and cancels the serial monthly payment manually, do we need to go into the Membership plugin members screen and manually remove the subscription from the user?

We also use Authorize.net for checkout but we have not tested the "unsubscribe" for an Authorize.net subscription. Is the authorize.net unsubscribe supposed to be automatic?

• Rheinard

Hi @Hector Torres,

We'll work at a PayPal solution for a future release. :slight_smile: Regarding cancellations inside the member's PayPal account, PayPal will send a notification (IPN) to your website and Membership will see that a subscription was cancelled and cancel it automatically.

Authorize.net fortunately has a more flexible API for dealing with this issue. Clicking a 'Cancel Subscription' button should automatically cancel the subscription with Authorize.net.

Cheers,
    Rheinard

• Hector Torres

Thanks a lot for the explanation. We tested the "unsubscribe" from the Paypal account and indeed it cancelled the Membership subscription. Actually it shows that it will be cancelled at the end of the "serial" period which is what we want.

We have not yet tested the authorize.net "unsubscribe" but we'll take your word that its automatic :slight_smile:

• Hector Torres

We have not yet tested a subscription or "unsubscribe" with authorize.net because we were having other bigger issues with the Membership plugin and Affiliate plugin that @Paul and @Rheinard are aware of. It looks like tomorrow we might get around to testing authorize.net.

Thanks!

• Hector Torres

We were finally able to test the authorize.net "Unsubscribe" button today.

Good news: it worked perfectly as expected. After clicking on "UNSUBSCRIBE" the system left me on the same page
    mydomain.com/account
    and displayed the message saying that the account was cancelled.

Hopefully you guys can fix this in the future for Paypal "unsubscribe". As I mentioned before, I have seen other membership plugins do it for Paypal so it can be done. you guys are awesome so I'm sure you'll figure it out.

Thanks!

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @Hector Torres,

Hope you're well today, that's great news! Glad that worked correctly.

And don't worry we'll get the PayPal unsubscribe fixed as soon as possible. :slight_smile:

Plus you'll be pleased to know, we have some pretty big changes coming in Membership 4.0 :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.