Membership customizing questions

Hello,

i have couple of questions regarding the Membership customization:

1. How to add new currency?

2. How to make new payment gateway? I basically need:
- the user to register on website
- then to choose the subscription
- then to present him the page with the explanation how to pay without adding the subscription to his account or forwarding him to some payment gateway
- to send welcome email with username and password, subscription plan he has chosen, price of the plan and the explanation how to pay for the subscription plan he has chosen. The subscription will be added (by admin in the backend) to him manually when the user pays the amount in the bank or post office.

3. How to remove "Upgrade to" paragraph on Subscriptions page and how to customize this and other pages? When i click to edit any of them, the content is empty.

4. How can subscribed member cancel his account and will cancellation through the website stop the requiring payment on Paypal?

5. How to customize emails sent to the registered users?

I hope that you will be able to help me with these.

Best regards,

Veljko Simovic

• Patrick

Hi there @Veljko

I hope you had a great weekend!

Let's start with your 2nd question first, as the answer to that may well render the other ones moot for now.

What you have described is basically a Manual Payment option. The Membership plugin does not have that built-in as you have discovered.

However, our new Protected Content plugin does have that payment option built-in, along with oodles of other features that are simply not possible with Membership. Like enabling multiple subscriptions per user, for example.

Would you perhaps want to consider using Protected Content instead of Membership?
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/protected-content/

If so, please contact our accounts team via email, and they'll be happy to switch your single product account over to that plugin instead, so you can enjoy all the additional benefits it has to offer.

I hope this helps! And thanks for being a member

• Veljko

Hello Patrick,

i am not interested in Protected plugin since i bought it first and lost 20 days debugging it with your colleagues. I believe that you also replied on this thread at some point. Here it is, just to remind:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/ive-just-installed-protected-content-plugin-and-i-need#post-797040

After getting nowhere i switched back to Membership.

One of your colleagues mentioned to me some API you have for creating my own Payment gateway in Membership plugin. Can you tell me more about that? And of course about my other questions i posted here.

Thank you,

Veljko Simovic

• Ash

Hello @Veljko

I hope you are well today.

1. How to add new currency?

Please add the following code:

add_filter( 'membership_available_currencies', 'membership_available_currencies_cb' );
    function membership_available_currencies_cb( $currency ){
    	$currency['BDT'] = 'BDT- Bangladeshi Taka';
    	return $currency;
    }

You need to make changes in this line:
    $currency['BDT'] = 'BDT- Bangladeshi Taka';

You can add those codes in your functions.php in the theme, if you think your theme won’t be changed. Otherwise mu-plugins is the best solution. To use mu-plugins, go to /wp-content/ and find the folder with name 'mu-plugins'. If there is no folder in that name, then create a folder, name it 'mu-plugins', create a file inside that, give any name you like and paste the code in there. You don't need to activate that plugin. Mu-plugins means must use plugins, so it will be activated automatically always. If you use mu-plugins then add a php start tag at the beginning of the code.

#2:
    As Patrick said, you need to develop a manual gateway plugin gateway. I am sorry there is no documentation of creating more gateway, but you can follow the available gateways. You can find the gateway files in wp-content/plugins/membership/membershipincludes/gateways folder.

3. How to remove "Upgrade to" paragraph on Subscriptions page and how to customize this and other pages? When i click to edit any of them, the content is empty.

These pages are virtual. The text comes from the plugin code. You can try out Text Change module in Ultimate Branding (it has some more features too) plugin to change any wording. You also can try https://wordpress.org/plugins/quick-localization/ plugin.

4. How can subscribed member cancel his account and will cancellation through the website stop the requiring payment on Paypal?

If any member cancels his subscription, he will still have access to the end of the current membership.

5. How to customize emails sent to the registered users?

Which emails are you referring to? There is a communication system integrated into membership plugin. You need to go to Membership > Communication and there you can send your own custom email based on some conditions.

Hope it helps Please feel free to ask more question if you have.

Cheers
    Ash

• Veljko

Hello Ash,

1. Solved

2. I will check that out or solve it some other way

3. Ultimate branding doesn't give this option and quick localization is only for translating. What i need is to change the page elements not to translate them. You really have to add the option to change the content of these pages. Changing it in the plugin code is not good and being able to change it from the Wordpress backend is pretty much standard stuff and basic in all plugins. Can you give me some other solution?

4. I think you didn't understand me. Here are the questions again:

How can i add the option on my website, so subscribed member can cancel it's account when he/she doesn't want to be the member any more?

When the user cancels the subscription does he also have to cancel requiring payment on Paypal or your system does that too?

I hope it's more clear now.

5. Ok, found it.

Regards,

Veljko

• Ash

Hello @Veljko

#3: Well, the logic is same. You are translating into same language, but change the wording. I have tested both plugins and it works most of the cases, but unfortunately, it doesn't change "Upgrade from" text

Without editing the core file, what you can do is to edit the language file. It seems translation again, in fact it's changing the wording. There is a language file comes with membership folder. You need to edit the file using poedit and place it into wp-content/language/plugins folder. Here is a tutorial for this: https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/how-to-translate-a-wordpress-plugin/

#4: In that case, the user needs to cancel the recurring payment from paypal too.

Hope it helps Please feel free to ask more question if you have.

Cheers
    Ash

• Veljko

Hi Ashok,

#3 I know how translating is working with PO files. I am talking about removing the element completely. If i have a paragraph for example with text: "Upgrade to..." and i want to remove it completely from the page structure, is there any other way besides editing core files in Membership plugin?

#4 Ok, he has to cancel on Paypal. And is there an option somewhere in the plugin to cancel the membership on our website? For example to go inside the account page and click "Cancel my subscription" so we know he canceled and the subscription is then removed from his account or the member has to email us to do it by ourselves for him?

Best regards,

Veljko Simovic

• Ash

Hello @Veljko

I hope you are well today.

#3: This is possible I think. You can hide with css, but it depends on your theme. Would you please send me a admin login and member login info and a link where I can see the "Upgrade to..." part? Also, send me a screenshot exactly which part you want to remove. I will write the code for you.

To send me details, please use our contact form: https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Select: I have a different question
    Subject: Attn-Ash
    Details: Send all required details (admin info and/or ftp details) with a link of this thread, so that I can track.
    Also post a note here once you send the info.

#4: If the member visits his account page or subscriptions page, there should be listed the subscription he is member of. There he should see a link called "Unsubscribe" or "Cancel". He can just click on there to unsubscribe.

Cheers
    Ash

• Veljko

Hello Ashok,

#3 No need for that. I will do the remove in the code css or directly inside the plugin since there is no other way. Can you please ask if your dev team can ad some functionality so we can edit these pages from backend?

#4 Found it in the subscriptions page

#5 New question: I am adding subscription level to my registered user by hand from backend, so i basically don't need payment gateway. How will the plugin act when the subscription of the user is about to expire? Will it renew automatically or will it cancel it and inform the user and admin about it?

I am using Serial mode at the moment. Should i use Finite mode instead if i want subscription to be canceled and manually extended by admin?

This is important since our members are paying for membership in bank or post office and then we activate them for 30 days of membership. It would be bad if the plugin doesn't cancel the membership after this period ends or if it extends it automatically.

Best regards,

Veljko Simovic

• Predrag Dubajic

Hey Veljko,

If you want your membership to get canceled after certain period you should use Finite mode and renew the membership manually after payment is received.

As for the informing the user you can set this by going to Membership > Communications panel and creating new message template where you will have the option to select how many days before the subscription ends the user will be notified.
    Once you have created new template make sure to activate it from Communications panel.

Hope this helps

Best regards,
    Predrag