Membership did not import into Membership2

So i tried updating Membership to Membership2. I did this only because it told me that i could keep all subscription information and membership levels. But now everything is gone and nothing is imported.

I updated plugin to 4.0.0.0 through "Plugins" section of my Wordpress installation. Then i upraded to Membership2 through the pop up that appeaered. It tried to import but i think it failed (crashed) and now i cannot do it.

When i go to "Settings -> Import" in membership 2, i cannot select "Import from Membership (WBMU Dev) checkbox. It is grayed out".

HELP!

• Michelle Shull

Hi there, Rasmus!

We're aware of the issue and are working frantically to get it fixed. You should see an update notification in the next couple of hours for M2, hold off on doing more until that patch is released, and we should be able to get you back in business ASAP.

For now, all your data should still be in Membership, so if you revert back to using Membership instead of Membership 2, you'll be in good shape until the patch is released.

Thanks for your feedback here, we'll get you fixed ASAP!

• Patrick

For Membership2 Pro - why disable Membership first while you should all know membership plugin is so important for our sites! When setting up membership2 Pro, we all encountered problems - you should really have an option that keep M1 working first then we can enable M2 later once we have every setting nicely worked out.

Still fortunately I used a staging environment to test it. I knew it will happen - everything will be visible to everyone for quite a while!

• Michelle Shull

Rasmus - Delete Membership 2 from your plugin directory. You won't lose any data. Reinstall it, via the WPMU DEV dash. You'll now be led through a setup process that will allow you to import your data.

Jane - Please see my answer to Rasmus above. We will work with you in your own thread if there are further issues after you follow the instructions above.

Editor SPECS - the data for Membership is stored in the database, not in the plugin files themselves. We originally asked you to delete the Membership folder because Membership2 has the same plugin folder name, which was done to facilitate better updating on the part of the members. Deleting the Membership file will not remove the Membership data. You are more than welcome to continue using Membership Pro Classic until you are ready to update to Membership2.

Hope this helps, and please, all, refrain from swearing in the threads. We understand your frustration, the support team is working with the development team and management to get everyone answers as soon as we can. Swearing at us won't get bugs fixed any faster, and this is a family-friendly place. Thanks.

ALL - let's leave Rasmus' thread for Rasmus, you can all yell at us all you'd like from your own support threads.

• Rasmus

Hey Michelle

I am really sorry for swearing and yelling, but it is simply beyond my understanding how you can roll out an update this important without being absolutely 100% certain, that it works. This has crashed our community for now 2 days, meaning that not only are we not making any money in these two days, but our current members are also losing what they paid for. This is a disaster and something that just shouldn't happen.

I have now tried to delete the Membership folder 3 times. Once through the Plugins panel in Wordress and twice through FTP where i simply deleted the entire folder. I have also re-installed through the WPMU Dev Dashboard (1.0.0.2) and it installed succesfully. I am STILL not allowed to import from Membership though. The Radion button under "Import Data" for "Membership (WPMU Dev) is STILL grayed out. All i have now is a blank Membership 2 installation with now 4 "system memberships"...

Still need help fixing this.

• Rasmus

Another update:

So Aron Prins (thank you Aron!) was kind enough to send me the old Membership Pro files, which i have now upgraded through WP -> Plugins to 3.5.3.3.

This has made my site go "back to normal", although there seems to be a problem with memberships being automatically added to members using PayPal (for now, i'm adding them manually which is far from ideal, but still better than not earning any money).

I am no longer being "offered" the 4.0.0.0 update through WP -> Plugins which started this whole mess, and when i try to update to Membership 2 using the WPMU Dev Dashboard, i am now getting an error saying:

"Downloading install package from https://premium.wpmudev.org/wdp-un.php?action=install&key=a76b25af6fd235929dbadca12bf095aff2886716&pid=1003656…

Unpacking the package…

Installing the plugin…

Destination folder already exists. /var/www/csgobettingguide.com/public_html/wp-content/plugins/membership/

Plugin install failed."

When i delete the Membership folder and install Membership 2, i am getting the "Batch Import" stuff, but when i try to import it just goes to 100% instantly and then returns to the same page again until i click "skip". When i then go to "settings", i am still only able to import from file, not from the Membership database.

Looking forward to hearing from support again...

• Aron Prins

@Rasmus The error is explainable: Destination folder already exists. /var/www/csgobettingguide.com/public_html/wp-content/plugins/membership/

/membership/ is the folder of the ''old'' version of the plugin hence it already exists.
    The sad part is is that the free version available on wp.org also has the same foldername, so when I updated to M2 it tells me to update to the Not So Pro version via the automatic updates.

I think some thorough revising is needed on this plugin.
    Cheers,
    Aron
    PS: Nothing then <3 for WPMUDEV, don't get me wrong :slight_smile:

• Michelle Shull

Hey guys! We've got a brand new update, here's the changelog:

Changelog
    ----------------
    - Add better error handling to the upgrade routine
    - Fix a major bug in the automatic import wizard that prevented the plugin from importing old Membership data
    - Fix wrong redirect during setup wizard that ended in "Not allowed to view page" errors
    - Fix some typos in admin pages
    - Fix the protection rule for "Friendship Request" in the BuddyPress Add-on
    - Fix a bug in the Coupons Add-on that discarded changes instead of saving them
    - Rename page "Protected Content" to "Protection Rules"

I just tested on my own sites, and it's working for me. :slight_smile:

• Rasmus

My upgrade went as follows.

I installed the plugin through the WPMU Dev Dashboard, it now did upgraded succesfully - ie. i did not get the error saying the folder already existed.

When upgrade was done, all of my plugins got deactivated and my site "froze" for a couple of minutes. I activated ONLY the Membership 2 plugin which asked for a 4.0.0.0 upgrade. That seemed a bit shady to me, so i refreshed the page after i had the plugin activated and it no longer asked for an update.

I then began the "import" process which was probably the most nerve wrecking 20 minutes of my life. I chose batches of "30" and in around 15-20 minutes all 1600 members were imported succesfully. All subscription plans was now also succesfully imported.

I am now in the process of testing whether all links and protection works as expected. So far i have not found any issues.

Thank you so much for working on this and for bearing with me. I will post again if i find any issues.

• Rasmus

Okay, so this had to be too good to be true...

I've found the following minor issues:
    1. Membership Pages are no longer valid, you need to update menus and any hotlinks you've made to old Membership pages.
    2. Protection Content Messages or any custom messages / changes you've made to Membership is not saved (this was also stated by the installation instructions, but just worth noticing - luckily i did save mine.

And then the one MAJOR issue which i've found.

I had 2 Subscription plans set up. One was for a permanent membership and one was for a 3-month-access pass. It seems like the import migrated both memberships (and put all the members in the correct memberships - but it did not save the expiration date (at least i cannot see it anywhere). When i look at the memberships i cannot edit them since they already hold members.

What does this mean? Well.. Quite frankly it might mean that i will have to let all current members have 3 months from today, and then just outphase the old memberships and add a new one. This is FAR from ideal, but i see no other way unless the WPMU Dev guys have a nice fix for this coming up.

Other than that the new look is sleek, easy to work with and makes a lot better sense than the old plugin. I can't wait to have it properly set up.

• Michelle Shull

Hey there, Rasmus!

1. Membership Pages are no longer valid, you need to update menus and any hotlinks you've made to old Membership pages.

I'll make a note for the dev to see if this is intentional, and I'll update the usage guide if needed to make this clearer if it is.

2. Protection Content Messages or any custom messages / changes you've made to Membership is not saved (this was also stated by the installation instructions, but just worth noticing - luckily i did save mine.

We can make this a bit more clear, as well. Thanks for pointing it out.

And then the one MAJOR issue which i've found.

I had 2 Subscription plans set up. One was for a permanent membership and one was for a 3-month-access pass. It seems like the import migrated both memberships (and put all the members in the correct memberships - but it did not save the expiration date (at least i cannot see it anywhere). When i look at the memberships i cannot edit them since they already hold members.

I was just working with another staff person last night on some testing related to imported subscriptions, and I believe you should be seeing an update very soon that will address this for you. It should be tomorrow morning, barring any unforeseen circumstances.

Adding Memberships has a bug if you use a comma instead of a dot when setting the price of a Membership. For instance setting the price to: "7,99" will result in the membership becoming "Free", while "7.99" works like a charm. Took me 20 minutes to figure out.

I'll let the dev know this as well, maybe we can throw in a warning message if field data doesn't match the currency format.

Thanks for your feedback here! We really appreciate it, and I hope we were able to turn things around for you. Enjoy Membership2!

• Philipp Stracker

Hi there,

I did not read the entire thread but just have some short feedback on the issues Michele sumarized in the post above:

The MAJOR issue was fixed in the last update released yesterday (v 1.0.0.4). There were some unnoticed typos that caused certain fields to not import correctly into Membership 2 but they are fixed now. Here's how to fix your data, but note that it will replace the Membership 2 data, effectively losing subscriptions that might were added or changed since the previous import:
    Go to Membership 2 > Settings > Import Tool and select Membership (WPMU DEV) as import source. Click the Preview button and on the next page check the option "Replace current content..."
    This will first remove all current data and then import your Membership data again, this time correctly.

Issue 1: Membership pages are no longer valid.
    You can go to Membership 2 > Settings > Tag "General" to select your existing membership pages if you want. But note that the old plugin had a slightly different page structure than the new plugin, but this step should help you to keep your menu structure intact. But you are right, these settings are not automatically imported.

Issue 2: Adding Memberships with price "7,99" does not save the value.
    We had this issue before and changed the price field to an HTML5 number-input field. This field automatically converts the price "7,99" to "7.99" but it does not work in older browsers. If you try Firefox or Google Chrome the value should be saved correctly. I've added this to the todo-list to review for IE and older browsers, thanks for the notice!

I hope this info helps you to complete your migration correctly.
    Thanks for your feedback so far! Philipp

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.