Membership-driven back end without needing payment gateway

Looking for a solution to a client's back-end user system on their website.

First Phase:

Client is a trucking company. They have their own “Drivers” and they also have “Owners/Operators”. There are probably around 400 of them (combined) at this time, but they are growing.

They have a basic website, and they want an area where certain info that should only be available to the “Drivers” is available, and certain areas where only the “Owner/Operators” should be visible.

We either need to set up their accounts, and I don’t think we have emails to do that, or they need to be able to register themselves, but we have to approve their account before giving them access, which could take time.

It’s like a membership, but without paying anything, and once approved/activated, will remain until they leave the company.

My programmer says the only way to do it is to have every one of them set up as users in WordPress, where our Admin users are, and give them a “Driver” or “Owner/Operator” status. To me, this is huge, and cumbersome, and will be a challenge when someone quits and we need to find/delete their account. I’ve looked at membership plugins, and watched a ton of videos, and they seem to manage “subscribers” differently than in the main user section in WordPress, which I really like, but I haven’t found one that isn’t run by a payment system.

Second Phase:

We would like to be able to integrate a back end system where the trucker can upload his own forms - gas, mileage, receipts, etc. and they are organized by driver.

Right now, the drivers have to mail in or go into the office once a month to hand in an envelope with their receipts and paperwork. We want to streamline this.

Ideally, they would almost have their own page/area where they can manage their own files.

Any thoughts you may have would be greatly appreciated.

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hi there @Lori

Welcome to WPMU DEV, glad to have you aboard!

Both our Membership and Protected Content plugins allow for free or $0 subscriptions/memberships.

If you haven't yet used either one, I would recommend going with Protected Content as it has a more robust and flexible code-base so will be seeing a lot more new features & enhancements than Membership.

However, both of them only enable you to restrict/grant access to frontend content/features. They cannot do that for the wp-admin (backend).

To restrict access to content & features in the admin, you would want to use a plugin like User Role Editor to create new roles for your “Driver” and “Owner/Operator” users. Easiest way to do that is to clone the admin role for each one, then remove the capabilities that you do not want them to have.
    https://wordpress.org/plugins/user-role-editor/

You'll also likely be interested in the Admin Menu Editor plugin to hide admin menu items that you don't want them to see or access:
    https://wordpress.org/plugins/admin-menu-editor/

I hope this helps! And thanks for being a member :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.