Membership: Free General Registration vs. standard "subscriber" Wordpress level?

Hi there:

If I set up a FREE General Registration access level in Membership is that interchangeable with the "subscriber" level that comes standard with Wordpress? In other words, is it considered the same exact Registration and level of access?

Another reason is that some plugins (for example the Wordpress Social Login plugin) allow for declaring certain access levels upon someone using the Wordpress Social Login. In the plugin it shows a dropdown menu asking for which level of access to give folks who sign up with the Wordpress Social Plugin. When I click that, it only shows all the access levels that are standard in Wordpress, but I do not have all my Membership access levels to choose from. I would like to be able to declare the access level I gave in Membership under a level I created called Free General Registration. So, I guess my questions are these:

Are the two one and the same (i.e. Wordpress standard "subscriber" and the access level I created in Membership called "free general registration"?

How can I get all my access levels that I create in the Membership plugin to be available and show in all other plugins that ask for access levels to choose from?

Any other insights as well are welcome related to this?

Thanks a ton folks!!!

:slight_smile:

Greg

• Vaughan

hiya

if using membership, you really shouldn't use wp registration as membership has it's own registration system.

if you use advanced rules when you setup your access levels, it will allow you to set which user role you want for each access level. so say a premium membership, you set advanced rules, then you can assign editor role to premium members and so on.

membership access levels are not the same as user roles. so unless you use the advanced rules, all members who register/subscribe will be assigned a 'subscriber' role.

hope this helps

• Greg

Hey @Vaughan

Ok...I went to Access Levels>Advance (both)>Associated Role>Subscriber. So, when they access use a subscription plan that is connected with this access level, then their role will be subscriber right?

There are many plugins that ask for access levels and/or roles. When I use to use S2Member, for example, all of there levels showed up in all other 3rd party plugins as choices in dropdown menus to select from in various scenarios in addition to the "stock roles/levels in wp". See attached as an example of what would be included.

How can I have all the Membership, in like manner, Subscription Plans and/or Access Levels show up in all 3rd party plugin dropdown boxes that allow for choosing them along with the "stock roles/levels in wp"?

How can I, also, allow the member to see there current level of membership in their profile along with others that are available?

Thanks a @Vaughan

Others are welcome to chime in...

:slight_smile:

• Vaughan

hiya

Ok...I went to Access Levels>Advance (both)>Associated Role>Subscriber. So, when they access use a subscription plan that is connected with this access level, then their role will be subscriber right?

that's correct.

How can I have all the Membership, in like manner, Subscription Plans and/or Access Levels show up in all 3rd party plugin dropdown boxes that allow for choosing them along with the "stock roles/levels in wp"?

you can't, this is not how membership plugin functions. the user roles and membership access levels are not the same thing. membership deals with protecting access to content, whereas user roles are more administrative functions used by WP.

hope this helps

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.