Membership: Granting access to a subscription level without going via Pay-gateway, but not free

Hello,
I've become a member because I really need your Membership plugin;
I've now got a website and would want to only grant access to most of my content (e.g. the posts/article) to my subscribers. These subscribers already pay me directly (i.e. not via PayPal etc... but I invoice these corporate clients and their account's department transfer money to my bank account) and the service I provide is not 'for free'. I was told in earlier correspondence to yourself that it would be no problem, to upgrade manually people without them having to use eg. PayPal.

I've setup the following and despite looking closely at your video tutorials, I cannot make it work out...

What I think would work would be to a) setup a 'Level1' Subscription which people could register for free (eg. using the "free subscription gateway"), and a 'Level2' subscription worth - say 100$ per annum - that people could pay for using PayPal. That way, if people are willing to use PayPal: good, if not and they absolutely want to pay via their account department, then I could manually upgrade them from Level1 (free) to Level2.

Questions:
Q1: How do I setup a) a Level1 subscription that can only be 'paid' using the free subscription gateway; and b) a Level2 sub that can only be 'paid' using PayPal?

Q2: How do I manually upgrade a user from Level1 to Level2?

Q3: Alternatively, I'm happy not to use an ePayment gateway at all. But I MUST have a way for people to a) register their name etc. username/password and b) a way for me (administrator) to upgrade their status to a subscription level granting them access. I stress here again that the service & access I provide is not for free. I have only a few (but big) clients so doing 'everything' (upgrading, controlling access period etc...) manually is not a problem at all.

I'd asked this all before purchasing the Plugin but the response were a generic 'yes no problem', now I need to make it work, please provide details,

Thanks
Bertrand

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there Bertrand,

Hope you're well today and thanks for your questions! :slight_smile:

The easiest way here would be to accept no ePayments at all and instead do this manually, then we can do the following.

Set the membership registration page to none in membership > options > membership pages, as we don't the user to register for a membership through Membership, I know that sounds confusing right now, but it'll make sense shortly. :slight_smile:

Now make sure registration to the site in general is open via wp-admin > settings > general.

But you may not want a bunch of members that even though they won't have access, you still don't want random members or possible spam signups, that's where this plugin comes in https://wordpress.org/plugins/new-user-approve/

That allows you to approve users before they become a member on your site.

Then once they've paid and been approved, you manually a subscription in membership > all members > hover over the subscriptions column inline with their name and click "Add subscription".

Access wise, you can choose positive rules or negative rules, a positive rules if a member has a positive rule, that content is automatically blocked for everyone without access.

Negative rules you have to specifically block content on each level, whereas positive you'd setup say Gold, Silver and Bronze and then you'd only need to grant each level what they actually should have access to.

We're here to help. :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Bertrand

Hi Jack and thanks a lot for your comments & help.
    I've downloaded the 'New User Approve' and will now start testing,
    Hopefully all will go fine.

When you say "make sure registration to the site in general is open via wp-admin > settings > general."... do you mean select/tick the box 'Anyone can Register' under 'Membership'? [WP dashboard was telling me the 'New User Approve' could not work properly unless I activated the general settings under Membership].

Just a last question: If I wanted to keep the option to have people pay their subscription via PayPal, is this still possible?

Thanks
    Bertrand

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @Bertrand,

Hope you're well today and thanks for your patience on this. :slight_smile:

When you say "make sure registration to the site in general is open via wp-admin > settings > general."... do you mean select/tick the box 'Anyone can Register' under 'Membership'? [WP dashboard was telling me the 'New User Approve' could not work properly unless I activated the general settings under Membership].

That's correct, the complete path is wp-admin > settings, scroll down the page a little and you'll see a checkbox option with the text "Anyone can register". Make sure that is checked. :slight_smile:

Just a last question: If I wanted to keep the option to have people pay their subscription via PayPal, is this still possible?

This would certainly be possible, you can still setup the subscriptions page and make sure a membership registration page is set as well then in membership > options > membership pages and the your members can also register via PayPal.

First make sure that the PayPal gateway has been configured in membership > payment gateways. :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.