Membership: Invoices are not being generated when membership expires

Membership generates an automated invoice when the membership expires - it also generates an email 10 days before and the day of expiration - none of this is no longer happening consistently.

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Larry,

Hope you're doing well.

I checked your chat about this and as I understand this started happening just recently and before that everything was working fine, is that correct?

I had a look at your settings and see that your paid membership is finit membership, which means that it will end at a certain point, it's not recurring membership so that members get automatically billed after that, did you always had this configured or it was set as recurring membership previously?
    You also only have PayPal Single Gateway active which is used only for single payments, it doesn't support recurring payments, recurring payments require PayPal Standard Gateway to be active.

Do you remember of the changes to your site around the time that it started happening, did you install any additional plugins, changed the theme, had some major updates etc?

Also, since this is a live site, do you have a staging installation where you could perform a conflict test by disabling your other plugins and see if the issues are there after that?

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Larry Davis

Hi Predrag-
    It appears that recurring billing somehow got changed on the upgrade. The reason we have the PP set to Single Gateway is because in the past we had trouble with the Payment connection with PP, and some on the WPMU team suggested we use this Gateway instead.
    I suppose with the new version M2 we cold try the Std. Gateway again??

No we do not have staging installation - because of the size of the site 12 GB - but I have done conflict testing in the middle of the night before. We also have 100% storm server back-up should thinks get sideways...
    I will test this over the weekend and sees with memberships now set to recurring if the system starts generating the emails...
    Perhaps try the PP Std Gateway again - what would be the URL to enter in IP Listening for this ?
    Do you know ?
    Thank you!

Larry Davis

• Larry Davis

Hi
    Ok payments are going through PayPal on the std. gateway - and the recurring billing is set for the standard memberships but still no email notifications are being generated. If you check under the M2 Billing - look at those invoices that were indicated as billed but under email history no emails have been generated.
    The tests that I did on a test membership "LarryTest" - I was never alerted when a recurring payment was made no did the email that my membership had expired. I see your dev team also did some texts - I don't see any email history for these as well.

Please advise on what we can do to remedy this issues ASAP.

Thank you!
    Larry

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello Larry,

I checked now chats history and I can see that there are sent emails for new subscription and also two for expiring subscriptions (one that are send 10 days before).
    I checked your two tests and one was with Single PayPal (and from my understanding there was issue with it) and second was cancelled - but cancellation message is delayed 30 days, so it won't be send now.
    Can you take a look again and let us know which accounts (you can leave the usernames in message for support access) are not getting correct emails after you switched to new gateway?

kind regards,
    Kasia

• Larry Davis

Hi Kasia -

I have left the following in the message for support access area:

"The following members did not receive any emails letting them know that there memberships expired
    marcinszpak
    RodolfoPaiz
    jimgoodall
    MarkBennett
    chuckburin

And another problem after resetting the Pay Pal gateway now members are receiving many many emails see:

azalbalushi@gmail.com - UN - Abdullah Albalushi

tpawlesh@comcast.net - UN - Tom Pawlesh

This is despite our script in the conf. file to limit only 1 email in 24 hours.
    Why is this plug-in so buggy? We have been battling off and on with this plug-in for over a year, since the site launched.

Can we please fix this....
    Larry"

• Larry Davis

More problems -
    Here is one that renewed but no PayPal payment from this person. Note the dates-
    Hi samlangham,

We've received your payment for your ISAP Membership membership at ISAP. Thanks!

Here are your latest payment details:

Invoice #9931-1

Sender ISAP
    Invoice to samlangham
    Invoice date 2016-08-05
    Status archived
    Name ISAP Membership
    Description You will pay USD 75.00 to access from August 5, 2016 until August 5, 2016.
    Amount USD 75.00
    Payment due 2018-12-31
    Total USD 75.00

and here is the second one no PayPal payment from this person. Note the dates

Hi PhilHigh,

We've received your payment for your ISAP Membership membership at ISAP. Thanks!

Here are your latest payment details:

Invoice #10011-1

Sender ISAP
    Invoice to PhilHigh
    Invoice date 2016-08-05
    Status archived
    Name ISAP Membership
    Description You will pay USD 75.00 to access from August 5, 2016 until August 5, 2016.
    Amount USD 75.00
    Payment due 2018-12-31
    Total USD 75.00

and yet one more ( see attachment on following post ) this member got renewed for 2 years with no payment recorded at Pay Pal.

How can this be happening - this is terrible - how can there be no fail safes in place to protect against this

Please advise ASAP.

Larry Davis

• Larry Davis

Could you please move this problem to someone in upper management.

My client is not happy with the continued inability of this plug-in to perform basic membership functions for their website.
    If we can not remedy these issues very soon - I will need to move the membership to another plug-in.
    Is there a tool or procedure to export the current membership database to an excel file or delimited text file so we can import into another membership plug-in?
    I can't believe that the developers of this plug-in have not engineered this better - the needs are pretty basic:
    annual subscription
    accept payments thru pay pal
    protect certain content
    notifications when renewals are due

Also in the tests a couple months ago with your support - while we were working through a problem that the WPMU dashboard not renewing the WP Smush was disabled and now the site scores worse on the GTmetrix score. Do we know if a conflict exists between WP Smush and the latest M2 Pro?

About a month ago one of your support people asked me to deactivate Yoast SEO - this is still disabled - so the client's SEO now taken a step backward.

We are moving backwards with WPMU products and this website.

I have been a member a long time - just renewed my WPMU membership, it would seem to me that your team could take a proactive approach and assign an engineer to work through these issues
    - ASAP - instead of continuing to bounce these issues from DEV to supporting members with no solutions.

If the M2 pro is a junk plug-in - then take it off the market and help us move it to a solution that is solid, if not a junk plug-in - fix these issues and help us make this work for the client - this isn't right... We spent many many non-revenue producing hours trying to make this plug-in work.

Sincerely,

Larry Davis

• Patrick

Hi there Larry Davis Happy New Year! :smiley:

I logged into your site to see if I could help figure out these issues with you. One thing I noticed is that you have toggled off the option to "Use WordPress Cron for sending emails" under Membership 2 > Settings > General. Have you set up your own cron job on your server to handle outgoing emails instead?

I also notice that the payment frequency for your subscriptions is set to 1 year. I have seen PayPal have issues with such a setting multiple times in the past, and usually recommend adjusting that to 12 months or 365 days instead... dunno, but PP seems to get the hiccups with the number "1". :wink:

Also, these issues appear to be occurring specifically with memberships that were recently transferred over from the PayPal Single gateway to PayPal Standard. Is that correct?

• Larry Davis

No I'm not sure how the Wordpress Cron got toggled off - tonight I have re-toggled it on...
    I have changed the 1 yer setting to 12 months.
    Regarding PP gateway - we had been using the PP Single Gateway for sometime because of problem we had last year one of your tech.s recommended this solution. Then when we started having issues in November another WPMU tech suggested we go to the STD gateway - which my understanding is the correct settings for recurring memberships. Not sure what is correct
    Thank you!

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Larry,

No I'm not sure how the Wordpress Cron got toggled off - tonight I have re-toggled it on...
    I have changed the 1 yer setting to 12 months.

WordPress Cron depends on the site activity, if your site has a lot of visitors then WP cron jobs are fired properly and thus the emails are sent on time.
    However if your visitor count is low then the cron job might not fire up on time and can delay/not-send the emails.
    So if you configured your own Cron jobs then you can leave this option disabled.

Regarding PP gateway - we had been using the PP Single Gateway for sometime because of problem we had last year one of your tech.s recommended this solution. Then when we started having issues in November another WPMU tech suggested we go to the STD gateway - which my understanding is the correct settings for recurring memberships. Not sure what is correct

PP single can still be used for recurring payments but with this your subscribers will need to confirm each payment once it's due.
    With Standard gateway this process is automated and subscriber is billed without any further action needed from them or you.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Larry Davis

Hi Predrag and any other support heros-

This leads to a couple of other questions:

1. can we activate both the Pay Pal Std. and the Pay Pal Single Payment - so the member can choose their payment method?
    2. if we do this do we need to modify the IPN listening settings at PP?
    (we see from the transaction logs that Paypal Single Payments for invoices being generated manually by the clients are still displaying on these logs) - now the IPN listening is set to standard.
    3. any idea why some members still receive multiple emails from the system? On 1/3/18 rreilly2@bellsouth.net received 7 emails on a password reset request. This was on the same day I reset the cron settings - is this related?
    4. If a member user signs up but does not make a payment - they are still being listed in the WP users - as a subscriber not a member - I have tested this and it appears all content protected for only members is still protected. Is there settings we can make so this does not happen?

Thank you!
    Larry Davis

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Larry,

1. can we activate both the Pay Pal Std. and the Pay Pal Single Payment - so the member can choose their payment method?

Yes, you can activate both and on the Membership 2 checkout page you will have two payment buttons, one for PP Single and one for Standard.

2. if we do this do we need to modify the IPN listening settings at PP?
    (we see from the transaction logs that Paypal Single Payments for invoices being generated manually by the clients are still displaying on these logs) - now the IPN listening is set to standard.

PP Single doesn't require IPN so there's nothing that needs to be adjusted additionally to have these two working together.

3. any idea why some members still receive multiple emails from the system? On 1/3/18 rreilly2@bellsouth.net received 7 emails on a password reset request. This was on the same day I reset the cron settings - is this related?

It's quite possible that this was related to cron changes, is it still happening or it was only on that day?

4. If a member user signs up but does not make a payment - they are still being listed in the WP users - as a subscriber not a member - I have tested this and it appears all content protected for only members is still protected. Is there settings we can make so this does not happen?

I'm afraid that this can't be changed, Membership 2 requires to have user registered and then it assigns the membership to that user.
    So when the payment is made there needs to be an existing user that payment and membership will be attached to.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Larry,

1.we have had notifications not go out when they expired

I've checked your email logs and in there it's showing that both "Membership will end soon" and "Membership has ended" emails were sent to TomPawlesh, are you referring to different member?

2. I know the client haa had to manually subscribe a other problem memberships.

I'm not sure that I understand this question, could you please elaborate a bit more?

Any ideas on why this member would not be allowed to re-subscribe?

This is about TomPawlesh, right? Is it possible to get the login details for that account so we can check this out?
    You can send us your details using our contact form https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question and the template below:

Subject: "Attn: Predrag Dubajic"
    - Site login url
    - Member username
    - Member password
    - Link back to this thread for reference
    - Any other relevant urls/info

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Larry Davis

Attn: Predrag
    UPDATE
    The user we were having the problems with TomPawlesh - finally was able to renew 2 days after his membership expired. I do not know why the inconsistency. But at the advice from WPMU support we changed the membership length settings to 12 months then to 365 days instead of one year - to interface better with Pay Pal - since we having problem with people be to renew through Pay Pal.

I'm interested to know your expert opinion, but I wanted to let you know the user TomPawlesh may have reset his password after I set-up the test password for you to test.
    Thank you

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.