Membership is charging credit cards twice

This is URGENT.

The membership plugin authorize.net gateway is charging credit cards twice. Once, upon registering, and again the next morning. This is ruining our business because we have to manually refund these folks.

We have paid hundreds of dollars to two different developers to fix this, but they cannot.

Please bring the developer into this thread immediately to resolve this.

Support access is enabled. Please go right in there right away and fix this.

• Tyler Postle

Hey MG,

Hope you're doing well today and thanks for your question.

Let's get this sorted

Can you upgrade to the latest version of Membership first? We're on 3.5.2.4 now.

Would you mind sending in a screenshot of your transactions in Authorize.net? You can blur out personal information, I'm only looking for the amounts/times/transaction ID's so I can match them to what's in the plugin.

The plugin looks like it's taking the initial payment and setting up the recurring payment as it should be. Will be helpful to see what information the authorize side has.

You can send this information in through our private contact form, you can also send in some account credentials just to make sure we have everything in-case we need it.

Send in:

Subject: "Attn: Tyler Postle"
    -WordPress admin username
    -WordPress admin password
    -login url
    -FTP credentials (host/username/password)
    -link back to this thread for reference
    -any other relevant urls

Select "I have a different question" for your topic - this and the subject line ensure that it gets assigned to me

https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

It won't let you attach an image when you first send in, unless you upload it somewhere else and include the link to it; alternatively, once I respond to it you will be able to attach a file. I'll keep a look out for the message.

Look forward to hearing back MG!

Cheers,
    Tyler

PS. Has this been happening ever since you started using the gateway?

• MG

I'm gathering the transactions information for you from our accountant.

Yes, this has been happening since we took the first payment. Like I said, we've spent hundreds of dollars on our developers to fix this. I'm not kidding. Hundreds. And nearly two weeks.

We are very frustrated.

I appreciate your prompt response. We will update to 4.0 tonight, and I'll gather the information you requested.

• Tyler Postle

Thanks MG, look forward to seeing the transaction details on this. I'm going to setup my own test environment to see if I can replicate the issue.

Good to know about you already having tested it with the latest version too, thanks for mentioning that. We'll get this sorted

Message me back in the thread here when you send those details into me, just to ensure I know they're sent in, sometimes the system doesn't automatically assign it.

Talk to you soon!

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Tyler Postle

Hey Amy,

Hope you're doing well and thanks for sending that information in!

I have been testing this on my own installation but haven't been able to replicate it yet. I'm going to attach a screenshot of my transactions in Authorize.net, that is for one transaction, would that be duplicated there for you?

In the transactions you sent over it looked like some weren't duplicated, the time between the first and second charge seems kind of random too.

Have you made any modifications to the plugin at all?

Look forward to hearing back MG! I'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Tyler Postle

Hey Amy,

Thanks for sending that in via our contact form

I just wanted to let you know that the same issue has occurred on my install, the second trans just went through. I am sending all this to the developer so they can get this resolved asap! Thanks a ton for all your co-operation with this.

Once the issue is resolved, either myself or the developer will post back here.

Have a great rest of your day!

Talk to you soon.

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Tyler Postle

Hey MG,

Thanks for all your patience here! Just wanted to let you know that this hasn't been forgotten about or anything and is still being worked on.

I have tested the Authorize.net gateway in our newly released Protected Content plugin to see if it has the same behaviour there - it appears to work correctly so far, it does show up with 2 transactions; however, the 2nd transactions is dated 1 month away. I'm thinking that could be the issue with it in Membership, the 2nd payment gets charged almost right away instead of 1 month away or however long you've set the membership for.

I've passed that information along to the developer as well

I realize your site is already built upon Membership, but I just wanted to say you should checkout Protected Content, it was originally going to be Membership 4.0; however, we made so many structure changes to the plugin that we had to release it as it's own stand alone plugin to avoid breaking sites on update. With that said, we are working on an importer to make transitioning to Protected Content easy for our Membership users.

Bit of a glimpse of what you can look forward too when you're able to transition over

Anyways, as mentioned, passed that information on to the developer which will hopefully be related to the issue so we can speed this up!

Thanks again for your patience MG. Let me know if you have any further questions in the meantime.

All the best,
    Tyler

• Rheinard

Hi @MG,

I've literally gone through each process with Authorize.net line by line as the data transfers from my site to Authorize.net and back.

At this stage I can't see anything that should cause the double payment, except that I have a suspicion that the original authorization request gets treated as a transaction on Auth.net's side.

I am awaiting transaction emails from Authorize.net to see if I get a second charge.

Cheers,
    Rheinard

• Rheinard

Hi @MG,

I can confirm the double charge. I received mine approximately 24hrs after having already been charged.

The issue was that Authorize.net charges the 'Authorize Only' transaction and then the actual transaction as well.

I've just released 2.5.2.6 which should resolve this issue. Members will still receive an initial transaction report with a $0 value. Then the first charge will follow on whatever Authorize.net's timeframe is (within 24 hours).

Apologies for this inconvenience. I'm not sure when this issue started occurring.

As @Tyler Postle said, however, Protected Content was meant to be Membership 4.0 and that there were some significant changes.

I'll flag the new lead on Protected Content to see if he can answer your question re current subscriptions. @Philipp Stracker , could you have a think about how existing paid subscriptions will be handled (from the Gateways' point of view)?

Cheers,
    Rheinard

• MG

I'm anxious for his answer but what I'm reading on other threads is that there is not yet a way to change from your old membership plugin to the new and keep the payments coming from members.

I'm just stunned. How could you folks stop supporting and developing your membership plugin and just push us all to the new, but not have a way to keep current subscriptions? I just don't get it! Wpmu has always revolved around membership! I think the ball has been dropped.

I would feel a lot better if you folks would tranfer our members and their payments to the new plugin. Today. We've been struggling because of your glitches for weeks now at great expense.

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @MG,

Hope you're well today!

Sorry about the confusion here, I've worked closely with Philipp (Lead developer of Protected content) throughout and just wanted to clear some things up here.

Membership is not being dropped and will continue to be supported with bug fixes and updates as needed. It's still a extremely powerful plugin for creating Membership sites and we have no plans to retire it currently.

Currently there is no way of importing the payments/subscription from Membership to Protected content, though we are looking into that for a later version in case people want to switch.

So to confirm on that, if you switched your members would need to resubscribe currently.

I've done some testing on your specific issue here and for me 3.2.5.6 resolves this issue, I see your using 3.2.5.4. If you could upgrade to the latest version of Membership it'll work correctly for you.

Sorry about the inconvenience caused here.

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.