Membership – just use it to limit stranger access

Yeesh, had some real heartache configuring Membership. I think it was clashing with several plugins (most of which I would need working). The problems included a break in the activation emails, then an infinite loop scenario.

However, what was working perfectly was the restriction to strangers. I could specify which pages they should and shouldn’t see and all was hunky dory. So any ideas how I can set it up so that this is the only part I actually use?

Alternatively, any ideas about how to go about restricting the content on a per page basis? Thanks!

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings iamstaggered,

Yes it is true that Membership plugin can be a challenge to configure.

As far as conflicts and problems go, Membership plugin basically takes over the entire site, it is my suggestion that when using this plugin or going to use this plugin it is best to make it the first one activated.

(These instructions in which I posted can take a big bite out of the configuration challenge presented when setting up the Membership plugin)

This is probably what part of the problem was, that it had to take over the other plugins and stuff installed before it could gain control. It must control everything or it could not protect the various types of content and functions a membership site owner could/would institute.

Personally I like using the categories as my mechanism for protecting content though depending on the site, pages may be well suited too.

Jonathan is spot on when telling that to protect page content the easiest way is to use a shortcode or page template though shortcodes may be the absolute simplest.

At this point just do not configure anything else via the Membership plugin going forward with your site/blog and you should be OK.

Please keep us advised if you need further assistance, as we are here to help if and when we can.

Cheers, Joe :slight_smile:

• Andrew Shanahan
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Thanks Joe – some excellent advice – my vote would be that your instructions are a heck of a lot clearer than the installation instructions on the plugin homepage. Frankly, there’s a lot of information that they skip entirely which equates to your users scratching their heads for a half day. It’s not a huge thing because you can get help – but why not prevent the need to ask for help?

As it is I played around with S2 as it seemed to do several of the same things and I got that working with BP quite a lot easier than Membership. I’m a huge WPMUdev fan (and a paying fan at that) so it annoys me to go out of house, but I really think the key bit of your advice is that the Membership plugin should come first in a set up. S2 is a bit more malleable.

Thanks again though.

• Jonathan
    • The Incredible Code Injector

@imstaggered…

Sorry you ended up on s2, when wpmudev released the new membership plugin today,

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/membership-30

along with detailed instructions (a whole ebook)

https://premium.wpmudev.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Membership-Docs1.pdf

Check out the post: I just gave it a spin and it really is so much more user friendly and streamlined.

All the best.

Jonathan [fellow member wanting the best membership plugin :wink: ]

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings iamstaggered,

I think that Murphy’s Law has been playing into this ticket a lot especially when one takes into consideration the timing issue.

Therefore I am not going to make any further comments with the exception of marking this ticket as resolved and look forward to working with you gentlemen again in the future – without Murphy!

Cheers, Joe :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.