Membership login and registration questions

I am not sure how to use the membership plugin with regard to the login page and registration form.
1) Is the login page that the plugin uses is wp-login.php? Do I set up login re-direct and log out re-direct plugins to this page?
2) On that login page there is no link for registering. You can only login. How do new users register?
3) How do I customize the membership registration form. I am also a Buddypress site. So do I add customization in the BP form components?
Thanks!

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hiya!

1. Nope, that's just the standard login page that comes with default - you don't need to add anything.

2. You should have a registration page created automatically. If not, create a new page and place [subscriptionform] in the content to create your registration page.

3. Kinda depends what you want to do. It will involve custom coding though!

Phil

• mavellino
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Thanks Phil. I still need to clarify some things further though:
    1)I want to have a login page as my landing page for my domain url because I have a membership only site. Do I set this in the membership plugin to the wp-login page?

2) I also need to have the option of "registration" on the login page for new users who come to my url. How can I do this? The WP login screen does not have a registration option....I unchecked "anyone can register" per the membership plugin which I think takes the registration option of the WP login???

3)I already created a registration page with the shortcode from the plugin. Where do I add fields to the registration options? Is it in Buddypress or membership plugin? Please explain how I do this. I am not sure how the membership plugin works in relation to Buddypress registration.

Thanks!

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

1) You would need to create something like that as part of your theme. Membership doesn't provide anything for the front-end other than the registration page which it must.

2) Again, this is something you'd need to incorporate into your custom login page. You can just add a link to the registration page created by membership.

3) The easiest way to do this is if you're using BuddyPress. Any additional profile fields you have in BuddyPress will be automatically added to the registration page for you.

@marshwilliams You should have a registration page created automatically by the plugin. If not take a look at point 2 in my earlier reply in this thread.

Phil

• mavellino

Thanks Phil!!
    OK, so I need to add a link to the membershop registration page, not the wp registration page. How do I add a link in the login page? It is not a "page" in WP. It is only a php file. Do you know what code to add?
    :slight_smile:

• mavellino

I do have a page. I want to know how to put a registration link in the wp-login.php page since the membership plugin turns it off from the wp one. How do I add a registration link to the membership "page" with the subscription form? I am using the wp-login page as the landing page for my site, so if there is no registration link there, no one can sign up. The membership plugin should automatically add the link ir give an option to have the link...... Please help!!!

• Jonathan
    • The Incredible Code Injector

@mavellino,

When you say the login page not being a WP page only a php file - Are you talking about the wp-login.php?

The reason you have a registration link on that page is because you have wordpress registrations enabled. The Membership Plugin doesn't need the wordpress registration enabled. In fact it is recommended that you disable it.
    So in your dashboard
    Single Install Go settings > General now look for Membership [] Anyone can register <it must be empty - no tick - now update.

This will remove the registration link from the wp-login.php page :wink:

By disabling the WordPress registration, you are saving yourself from loads of spam sign-ups, and puts you in control of where and what your registration page should be called :wink:

Jonathan

Edit: We posted over each other :wink:

• mavellino

@Jonathan- thank you for your help! I do understand about disabling the the WP registration in WP and allowing the membership plugin to handle it. My issue is that I only want new members to be able to access the wp-login.php page when the type in my domain name. The rest of the site is locked up. The membership plugin does not have a "registration" link on the wp-login.php page, because the wp registration is removed and membership does not put anything back. So I want to know how I can add a registration link to the wp-login.php screen so new users can register. Please let me know if you know what to do!

• Jonathan

Okay, I see, I originally speed read this, so read it properly while I was waiting for you to post so that I didn't post over you again :wink:

I think What phil was saying is that it would be better to use a wordpress page rather than wp-login.php (<this is also my least favorite page - laugh because there is no way to edit it without actually editing it - everything is pretty much hard coded)
    Wouldn't it be better to direct them to a yourdomain.com/login/ page?
    Because then we can work some magic... :slight_smile:

• mavellino

Thanks, Jonathan. Ok, I am new at all of this, so please bear with me as I "get" what you are both saying!!!!
    Just to clarify, I am using the membership plugin. I am also using a "custom login" plugin that I created a custom login screen with my logo. It uploads my image into the wp-login.php file. So, having explained that, I am open to setting this up any way that you suggest to make it work. I don't currently have a login "page". So I would have to add it. I also would like my domain website landing page to be the login/registration page. Please let me know what I should do.
    Thanks!

• Jonathan

Okay, lets brainstorm :wink:

Your site is locked down - So you have 3 types of users Strangers, Non-Members and Members.
    Users need a page that tells them they must login - this is a no-access page (This page is a landing page) On this page you will something like...
    Oops, you need to be logged in to view content on our site. Please login below.
    And have a login form.
    And below this you can have, "If you don't have an account, please go here"... register page link.

So strangers/non-logged-in members/non-members all go to the no-access page yourdomain.com/login/
    They either login or they register
    Register goes to register page yourdomain.com/register/

Now you are wondering how can I put a login form on my login page?
    Here is the link to something I put together awhile ago :wink:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/login-short-code#post-108030
    in the redirect portion, I would add a welcome page yourdomain.com/welcome/ :wink:
    As for your wp-login.php - leave it as is, it is your second login page that has your logo etc because sometimes when your members logout they might be directed there... so it is good to have that customized :wink:
    Hope That Covers Everything :slight_smile:

Jonathan

• mavellino

Thanks, Jonathan. It sounds complicated for a rooky like me, but I will give it a college try. I was hoping to just have the wp-login.php customized page as my only landing page for all visitors when the type in my domain name. Sort of how Facebook just has the sign in or up page as their landing page when you type in http://www.facebook.com. Then once you log in or register, you in! Anyway to simplify this like that?

• Jonathan

Okay, found a way for you to keep your wp-login.php page :wink:

Add code to functions.php - make sure to edit links, and style it to your liking.

function my_custom_register_link() {
        ?>
    	<a href="<?php bloginfo('url'); ?>/registerpage" title="Create An Account">Do You Need An Account</a>
    <?php
    }
    add_action('login_footer', 'my_custom_register_link');

This simply adds your custom register link to the footer of the wp-login.php page. Directly below the back to YourSite link. You might what to enclose it with some div and add a class to style it to your liking.

?>
    <div class="custom_registration_link">
    <a href="<?php bloginfo('url'); ?>/registerpage" title="Create An Account">Do You Need An Account</a>
    </div>
    <?php

Jonathan

• mavellino

Okay, a few questions...
    This will still work with the membership plugin I am using, right?

Do I add the code above to the functions.php file in my theme?

Where you type "my_custom_register_link" do I type in my register page link? Is the register page link that the membership plugin creates called "/register" Do I copy the permalink for the page in my site? Not sure how to refer to it in the code....

About where in the function file do I add this? Around where wp would have had their registration piece?

Then do I set the landing page to the mysite/wp-login.php and any redirects for logging out?

Thanks a bunch for all of your help....

• Jonathan

Okay I just Style this to give you an idea see attached image...

function my_custom_login_footer() {
        ?>
        <style type="text/css" media="screen">
    	.custom_registration_link {
    	font: normal normal normal 25px/35px Arial, Verdana, sans-serif;
    	text-align: center;
    	width: 400px;
    	margin: auto;
    	border: 8px solid #f1faff;
    	padding: 20px;
    	background: #d2e6f2;
    	color: #597787; }
    	 }
    	</style>
    <div class="custom_registration_link">
    <a href="<?php bloginfo('url'); ?>/register/" title="Create An Account">Do You Need An Account</a>
    </div>
    <?php
    }
    add_action('login_footer', 'my_custom_login_footer');

• Jonathan

This will still work with the membership plugin I am using, right?

Yes.

Do I add the code above to the functions.php file in my theme?

Yes

Where you type "my_custom_register_link" do I type in my register page link? Is the register page link

Yes, and edit the text accordingly.
    here is the current register link according to post above ^
    <?php bloginfo('url'); ?>/register/

About where in the function file do I add this?

Anywhere, but at the bottom is fine.

Around where wp would have had their registration piece?

Check image above

Then do I set the landing page to the mysite/wp-login.php and any redirects for logging out?

Yes, you're right back to where you where except we just added a custom registration link.

Thanks a bunch for all of your help....

You are most welcome, and if this is too much for you maybe you should consider getting someone to do it for you - there is a great job board here
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/wpmu-jobs/new-project/

And some great developers here
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/wpmu-jobs/developers/

All the best,
    Jonathan :wink:

• Jonathan

Okay, now I'm spamming your topic - sorry.

You will notice that the original wp registration link is still there, that is because the site I quickly used has it activated. But this should give you an idea of where your custom link is too where it should have been. Make Sense?

Have Fun :wink:

• Jonathan

@bigonroad,

Wow, that's quite a lot better than editing core files. *ashamed*

No worries - It took me awhile to figure I could add code to login_footer, got scratch marks on my head from all the scratching my brain. But I'm afraid it still isn't perfect. I can't figure how to get the custom register link anywhere else. So this is a hack :wink:

But at least with some css styling, it could be made to look pretty decent.

• Dimitri

Hello,
    I was looking for shortcode to add a login form directly on my "Protected Content" Page.
    I found this interseting post on WPMUDEV.

As I mentionned in this post, wy not asking the developper of "Membership plugin" to add this small function directly in the plugin code ?

So, all user could use the shortcode without having to update manually his theme file.

Dimitri

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.