Membership - login page?

I have membership installed on a Buddypress test site, and having a few challenges (mostly due to lack of comprehensive documentation).

I am unable to login with accounts I have created. There is no login link appearing. Also, the [accountform] shortcode doesn't seem to work - nothing is generated on the account page.

The test site is at: http://crossover.wpengine.com

Thanks,
Kelly

• aecnu

Greetings Kelly,

Thank you for supplying the link to your test installation, it is greatly appreciated and always helps a lot to see what we are working with and gives us the opportunity to look at the source code of the page which often offers clues to an issue.

In which order have you installed the two plugins? First the Buddy Press plugin and then the Membership plugin?

Please look over the following instructions for the Membership plugin to see if they have all been completed, I recommend this because until everything is almost completely setup, the Membership plugin gives the appearance it is not working correctly:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/member-fall-in-a-account-not-active#post-189564

Please advise if still having issues after checking the reference above if still having issues.

Cheers, Joe :slight_smile:

• Timothy Bowers

Hey Kelly, just checking in here to see how everything is going :slight_smile:

I noticed you responded in the new Membership thread:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/membership-30

How are you getting on with the new version? Do you still need some help?

As it has been a few days I'm going to check this as resolved for now, however if you still need further support please just reopen the thread and respond. :slight_smile:

Take care.

• kbrady

Timothy - thank you for the proactive followup! I'm my previous post on this thread, I was still using the 2.x version of Membership, and have to say I was not confident it was going to work smoothly enough even if I carefully retried the implementation w/buddypress.

Also, I ran into problems with my hosting account in cleaning up the old Membership rules prior to trying to reinstall. At the same time we started questioning whether the Buddypress features were even a good idea for this site.

Since Membership V3 has come out and addresses some of the technical issues, I am going to attempt implementing it again cleanly this weekend, with a limited set of Buddypress features. I know V3 is RC, so I don't expect perfection, but if I can't get the selected Buddypress features to work, I'll probably abandon Buddypress which of course makes the whole Membership setup that much easier.

I'll post back this weekend and let you know anything I figure out or if I run into any problems.

Thanks again,
    Kelly

• kbrady

timothy - again thanks for the active followup with me. First let me comment about how my testing of Membership Premium 3RC1 is going; I have found one issue I'd like to report.

First, I am running WP3.31 and Buddypress 1,5,4 and the Buddypress Template pack. My theme is Builder, using a Builder Child Theme.

I have followed the new docs carefully to install a clean site with Buddypress in the correct order. Buddypress was fully installed and working prior to installing & activating Membership. Membership activated pretty nicely, and I went through the configuration steps.

the one issue I'd like to report is that in following this process, a 2nd "register" page is created. It gets named by default "register-2" (assuming you accepted all Buddypress page naming defaults), Register-2 has the proper default setup to show the subscriptions that are currently enabled. The original "register" page has a generic buddypress registration on it, and doesn't work will the subscription levels (you never get to choose).

This isn't as much a bug as a possible issue with the setup flow, but could confuse future implementers. I didn't realize this initially, and thought user's were being presented with the subscription choices properly. Then, when I moved the registered user manually to a subscription level, the user got two levels (the additional level was not part of the subscription; and it did not want to let me drop it - I clicked drop, but nothing happened). I'm going to test this more and report back.

My issue with my hosting wasn't really related to Membership or iThemes. I have a new basic account with WPEngine (which I must say is a fabulous, although premium, wp hosting service). They have a one-button "create a staging area" feature, and they also have site backups nightly and you can revert back to any previous day with a mouse click. I had some problems/confusion with this and needed to drop DB tables and delete theme files but didn't know how to do this in their environment. They helped immediately and I got it all sorted out.

Thanks, and I'll report back with any additional Membership comments I can.

• Timothy Bowers

Hey again Kelly :slight_smile:

the one issue I'd like to report is that in following this process, a 2nd "register" page is created. It gets named by default "register-2" (assuming you accepted all Buddypress page naming defaults), Register-2 has the proper default setup to show the subscriptions that are currently enabled. The original "register" page has a generic buddypress registration on it, and doesn't work will the subscription levels (you never get to choose).

On page 10 of the docs:

If the page does not exist in the drop down then click
    on the button Create Page button (Clicking this multiple times will create multiple
    pages).

If the page already exists then a new page will be created like register-2 then register-3 and so on. I suppose the wording there could be different? Maybe "If the page already exists then this will create multiple pages"?

Do you think we should change that to be clearer? Or did you just miss it? I'm keen on getting this right :slight_smile:

BuddyPress does create its own registration page, you would want to point users to your membership page if they are to select a subscription option.

Then, when I moved the registered user manually to a subscription level, the user got two levels (the additional level was not part of the subscription; and it did not want to let me drop it - I clicked drop, but nothing happened). I'm going to test this more and report back.

I'm not sure what you are referring to here, perhaps once you have tested a little more you could elaborate with screenshots if thats ok, please? :slight_smile:

My issue with my hosting wasn't really related to Membership or iThemes. I have a new basic account with WPEngine (which I must say is a fabulous, although premium, wp hosting service).

Ya it is more expensive but I hear real good things about those guys! Mason met them recently at a WordCamp event as well :slight_smile:

Thanks, and I'll report back with any additional Membership comments I can.

I look forward to hearing back from you! :slight_smile:

Take care.

• kbrady

Tim - sorry for the dealying in following up. Regarding the issue with the "Register" page: I am certain I did not click "create page" twice. I think during the BP setup a Register page gets created, but Memerbership doesn't automatically recognize it, and the user appears to need to click on the button to create the page. So, the "Sign Up" link in the top admin bar of the website is linked to "Register" (which not the right page). I think this can be addressed either by a tweak to the membership plugin, or by more detailed instructions about how to deal with this page during the BP, then Membership setup.

I am going to test the issue I had with a new members getting assigned to multiple subscriptions and will report back.

Thanks,
    Kelly

• Timothy Bowers

Tim - sorry for the dealying in following up. Regarding the issue with the "Register" page: I am certain I did not click "create page" twice. I think during the BP setup a Register page gets created,

Ya if you clicked on the new page in BuddyPress then it would also create a new page.

You could always let them register through Membership or BuddyPress and then use our login redirect plugin:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/login-redirect

To redirect those users to the a page which has their account and subscription options. You can mix those together with shortcodes.

Would that work for you?

That way you get the best of both, existing users see their account as they login and new users get the options to upgrade form the same page.

Take care.

• kbrady

Tim - the login redirect plugin is new to me, so I'll take a look at it - it might be a nice-to-have.

However, I'm not sure if you are understanding the point I am trying to make about the "register" page. I don't believe I took any "elective" action that resulted in a 2nd Register page being created. I believe I followed the documentation & directions exactly to the letter and the 2nd page is created. Its a little messy this way, so I am suggesting the developer look at this and either "fix" the behavior of the plugin with regards to its Buddypress awareness/functionality, OR adjust the instructions so that someone won't inadvertently have the undesirable "buddypress" registration page as primary instead of the more desirable membership-generated registration page.

Thanks again for keeping up with this thread!
    Kelly

• Timothy Bowers

However, I'm not sure if you are understanding the point I am trying to make about the "register" page. I don't believe I took any "elective" action that resulted in a 2nd Register page being created. I believe I followed the documentation & directions exactly to the letter and the 2nd page is created

You are absolutely correct I didn't understand. Sorry about that.

I got ya now though and will make this suggestion to the developer.

Thanks again for keeping up with this thread!

Nah thanks for sticking with me on this! :wink:

I'll bring it up now with the dev.

Thanks.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.