Membership Multisite issue

On my multisite I cannot see "Guest Membership" & "Default Membership" when I try to create a new membership.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Alexander,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

I checked your site and chats and while I can see the issue there, I think we'll need to sort the "strategy" first. The site is a Multisite and during the chat you mentioned that you want Membership on "Executives in Motion" site (the main site). However, there's a line added to "wp-config.php" that sets the plugin to work in a "site-wide" mode.

The question is therefore: in a long-term do you want to have separate (and that means totally independent, separate) memberships for each of the sites of your Multisite, where admins of these sites can set and configure memberships and protection rules separately? Or do you want one, centrally managed protection for entire Multisite?

I think "somwhere along the road" some settings might get a bit "messed up" so we'll need to clean that up and also - once you decide for one of these options, switching back to the other one would mean that memberships and protection rules would have to be set from scratch so I'd like to avoid that for future (though once "missing memberships" issue will be sorted out, you might need to actually re-create memberships and set protection rules again).

Let me know please which way you'd like to go and I'll then get back to the site to solve that.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Alexander

Hi Adam,

Thank you for your prompt response. And I see exactly what you are referring to. Initially we were going to have each multi-site install as it's own database that would run independently by market. And that was before we decided on using BuddyPress.

BUT, since we decided to make the BuddyPress our membership application, we decided to make Executives in Motion a national directory.

Right now, Executives in Motion is a stand alone website. At some point we may start to use the multi-site feature for cities nation-wide, but the directory would still be national. So, to answer the last sentence of your third paragraph; Executives in Motion WILL have one centrally managed database and protection for the entire multi-site.

If I have to reset the protection rules from scratch, that will be fine. I have no problem with that. I want the membership database functionality to be stable. That is my first priority.

Would we have to remove the code from the wp-config.php file you referred to, or can we work around that? If helps make your job easier to remove it, that will be fine.

I will be driving from Minneapolis to Chicago today so I won't be able to correspond to this chat until this evening. But please feel free to add to the chat and I will answer any questions you have as soon as I get home this evening. I will be available anytime tomorrow or afterwards.

Thanks for your assistance and I look forward to work with you to get this working optimally.

Best regards,
    Alex

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Alex,

I was doing some extensive testing by comparing your installation to my multisite and after having the same settings I was actually able to replicate the issue.
    In the end, it seems that it was caused by M2 caching, so when I disabled that "Default" and "Guest" memberships were showing up again.

I disabled it on your site and it worked there as well so I have created a bug report and passed it over to our developers.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention!

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Alex,

At the moment you will need to leave this option turned off, and since I already disabled it there's nothing further you need to do, the plugin should be working fine with the option being set to off.

The bug is already passed over to the developers so they will be checking what's going on and fix it for future versions.

Or are you actually referring to something else that you need help with that I'm missing? :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Alexander

Hi Predrag or Adam,

My apologies for the delay in my response. I was out of town for separate projects for a couple of weeks and have been trying to catch up with tasks and to-do's when I was in town. I am finally caught up.

What I was referring to was the message I sent Adam on March 14. Here is a copy of the message and I will bold specifically what I need to know to make the plugin work.
    ________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Hi Adam,

Thank you for your prompt response. And I see exactly what you are referring to. Initially we were going to have each multi-site install as it's own database that would run independently by market. And that was before we decided on using BuddyPress.

BUT, since we decided to make the BuddyPress our membership application, we decided to make Executives in Motion a national directory.

Right now, Executives in Motion is a stand alone website. At some point we may start to use the multi-site feature for cities nation-wide, but the directory would still be national. So, to answer the last sentence of your third paragraph; Executives in Motion WILL have one centrally managed database and protection for the entire multi-site.

If I have to reset the protection rules from scratch, that will be fine. I have no problem with that. I want the membership database functionality to be stable. That is my first priority.

Would we have to remove the code from the wp-config.php file you referred to, or can we work around that? If helps make your job easier to remove it, that will be fine.

I will be driving from Minneapolis to Chicago today so I won't be able to correspond to this chat until this evening. But please feel free to add to the chat and I will answer any questions you have as soon as I get home this evening. I will be available anytime tomorrow or afterwards.

Thanks for your assistance and I look forward to work with you to get this working optimally.

Best regards,
    Alex
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________

In my message above, I wanted to make clear to Adam was that the Membership Directory will be a national directory and not be tied to individual multi-site installations. Every multi-site website will have access to the national directory.

So, what I am looking to find out in response to Adam's questions and before I proceed is:
    1) Do I need to reset the protection rules and start from scratch?
    2) Will we need to remove the line of code in the wp-config.php file Adam was referring to in his message on March 14th.

So I hadn't heard back from Adam regarding my response on March 14th. After my response, I was corresponding with Predrag on an unrelated topic.

I need to get this straightened out as soon as possible. The Executives in Motion website will be launching by the end of the month and I need to get this resolved.

Please let me know what needs to be done from your end and what I need to do or provide to you from mine. I will be happy to accommodate you with what you need to help us figure this out.

I look forward to your response.

Best regards,
    Alex

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Alex,

If you setup your Membership 2 now, for the single site, those settings will be saved even after you change to Multisite, however they will be specific for main site only.
    That means that after you switch to multisite, if you choose to have plugin activated per subsite the settings on your main site will be same as before and on other subsites you will need to configure it separately.

However, if you decide to go with multisite protection by adding define( 'MS_PROTECT_NETWORK', true ); to wp-config.php this will move all your settings in network admin and will use different database tables.
    What this means is that you will need to configure everything again, including creating your memberships and protecting the content.
    There's no need to clear up the existing plugin settings as those are stored in a different database table and if you decide to activate the plugin on the main site only in future, it will have the old protection rules.

Hope this clears things up a bit and let us know if you have any additional questions.

Best regards,
    Predrag