Membership Must be Approved?

I know you guys get a lot of the same questions here. I seriously tried to find an answer in the forums. I’m very frustrated by the membership plugin. What I need is simple and it seems that the logic in the plugin is very confusing.

I get how to lock content using levels. This site is not a paid site. I just need a way to allow someone to register, but I do not want the registered membership level to be active for the new registrant until the admin has reviewed the membership and approved it.

I don’t even need subscriptions although it seems I have to use them regardless. If I could eliminate the “choose a subscription” in the registration process that would be awesome.

So I have a non registered level and a registered level. Is there anyway to not allow acces for the register level until admin has approved? I have reviewed your tutorials and did not find the answer.

Thanks,

John

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi John,

This sounds like a fairly simple scenario actually! It sounds like what you can do is totally bypass the need for Membership to take over the registration process.

Just using the typical WordPress registration, once users are registered on your site (you can maybe allow them access as Subscribers for instance) the Admin can easily just move them to the desired membership level in Membership > Edit Members.

With that, they wouldn’t even need to select a Subscription. You wouldn’t even need to set up Subscriptions in that case, in fact.

How would that work for you?

-David

• johnetec
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

David,

Thanks for the response! This sounds like a good alternative. I’ll try it and hit you up if I run into any problems. However, in the future, if I needed to use the membership plugin fir this… is there a way to force approval before registration is allowed through the membership plugin?

Thanks!

John

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi John,

Membership doesn’t have an approval process as such, but in retrospect, one other option would to make just one subscription available in the signup process and that subscription would provide the same exact membership level as the Stranger level.

Once they’re signed up as that level, the admin can move them to the appropriate level.

Cheers,

David

• johnetec

David,

I did what you said and it works… mostly. Using wordpress registration is fine. However, I can’t seem to delete the one subscription I have. I do not need it. But it says there is 1 user subscribed. I don’t see any user that has a subscription. It will not let me delete the subscription or deactivate it.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

John

• johnetec

David,

I was supposed to launch this site today. I’m still trying to get the membership to work. I still cannot remove the free subscription. My admin login has no access to anything except the membership plugin and profile. I’ve edited the membership-config.php file to have the admin be the master membership admin. I thought this would give me complete access. What’s the deal?

This plugin is great… but to date, I have not been able to get it to work 100% on any of our sites. I’ve repaired the database twice, still no go.

I would really appreciate someone looking at the admin to see what is going on. I cannot delay the launch any longer and If I cannot get this to work, I will need to scrap the plugin and go with something else. Not my first choice as I pay for these and expect them to be better than the free plugins.

Just a bit frustrated here.

Thanks,

John

• johnetec

David,

OK… I think I got the permissions figured out. Still can’t delete the last subscription and it says there is still one person on it, but I don;t see any member with a subscription. May not matter. testing now.

Man, this is a complex bugger…

J

• johnetec

David,

All was fine until today. Not sure what happened but the permissions are not working correctly anymore. it seems the internal pages for the marketpress plugin checkout are not listed as pages I can select in the membership plugin. Now when logged in user trys to complete the order, they are blocked from the checkout pages.

Man this is really frustrating. How can I use the membership level permissions to allow user to see the checkout pages? I’ve tried using no positive rules and only negative rules as I only need to block the logged in users from seeing a few menu items. I don’t care about the pages. But this does not work either.

Ay thoughts?

Thanks,

John

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hiya,

Just checking if it was eventually resolved in another thread? Or by yourself separately to us? Or by us over email with you? Or using our live support?

If so, no need to reply, that’s great news.

If not, could you let us know by re-opening this topic, and we’ll get onto it and helping you out asap!

Otherwise, happy days, glad you got it sorted :slight_smile:

Cheers,

Phil

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.