Membership not functioning properly

Could notice many issues with Membership plugin, memberships are not renewed, and is showing wrong expiry dates. These are the couple of issues that I could notice in the website:

1- plugin shows wrong expiry dates

2- membership shows as expired but users still have access

3- recurring payments fail

4- shows billed but users still have access

5 - shows paid when no payment been done

Using free version at the moment, would like to know whether these issues are resolved in Pro version, before installing it.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello lazi

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

1- plugin shows wrong expiry dates

You have provided a screenshot during the chat that was supposed to show wrong expiration dates but it actually shows a billing "due date" which means that it's an end date until when the invoice should be paid. Without checking transaction logs, invoices and actual members list, it's difficult to draw any conclusions from this, especially on how this relates to the "wrong expiry dates" in case of your site.

2- membership shows as expired but users still have access

You have mentioned during the chat that this started to work so that's good. It's worth noting though that this behavior is based on WP Cron (schedule) so even though the expiry date has passed it might sometimes be not that accurate and revoke access with a slight delay. WP Cron (schedule) depends heavily on a traffic that site receives and also on other scheduled tasks it's not very precise.

3- recurring payments fail

This is usually related to payment gateway configuration and I understand that you're using PayPal, right? Is it a PayPal single or PayPal Standard gateway? If it's "single" then each time a payment is about to be made a member has to manually confirm it in his/her PayPal account.

If it's PayPal Standard gateway then I'd suggest starting with checking IPN settings as these are often the reason for that to fail. If you go to a PayPal Standard configuration in Membership 2 settings, you will find an information on how that should be set up. Could you please double-check that configuration?

4- shows billed but users still have access
    5 - shows paid when no payment been done

This two would be most likely related to the other listed issues and in any case, all of that would have to be checked first so I'd need to take a closer look at the site.

Unfortunately, WP login credentials that you shared during the chat don't work for me and I can't login there. To solve that: could you please install and enable WPMU DEV Dashboard plugin on your site? Once it's done, use it to Grant Support Access to the site.

Here's a guide on how to do both these things:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/docs/getting-started/installing-the-wpmu-dev-dashboard-plugin/

https://premium.wpmudev.org/docs/getting-started/getting-support/#chapter-5

Please note: this might turn Membership 2 to Membership 2 Pro (or ask you to do it) but it's the same plugin. The Membership 2 (free version) only has some features limited.

Kind regards,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello lazi

Thank you for granting access.

I checked the site and I can see now what do you mean. Let's start with these expiration dates which do, indeed, seem to be wrong.

I took one member as an example and checked subscriptions. The membership assigned is a recurring, monthly membership, member is active (and that's fine) but both invoice "due date" and the subscription expiration dates almost a year ahead. If this membership wasn't created manually but a user signed up for it (and it was set that way - monthly recurring payment - from the beginning) - this date should be different, certainly not the 2nd half or next year.

However, after checking the site I must say I wasn't able to pinpoint the reason of it so I'll need our developers help. I've reported the case to them so they would check it so please:

- make sure that support access is kept open (it's time valid so don't let it expire, please)
    - keep an eye on this ticket for further information.

Once they only check your site, they'll either respond here directly or through me.

Once we got this sorted, we'll move on to other issues that you reported as well.

Kind regards,
    Adam

• Panos

Hi there lazi ,

The Pro version had a few known issues which have been worked on and resolved already.

The issues you mentioned above work fine in our tests, so we would need to have a closer look on your site to be sure. Could you please provide admin and ftp access? You can send those credentials privately through our contact form: https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question

Send in:Subject: "Attn: Panos Lyrakis"

- Admin login:
    Admin username
    Admin password
    Login url

- FTP credentials
    host
    username
    password
    (and port if required)

- link back to this thread for reference

If possible we would prefer access to a staging/testing site where you can replicate those issues.

Kind regards!

• Panos

Hi lazi ,

Thanks for sending those in. Could you please point 1 or more members that have the issues mentioned above?

One more thing I'd like to ask for, I would need to do some tests in order to replicate this on your site. So with your permission, could I set my sandbox info for PayPal at your site, just for a few minutes, so I can perform a few tests there? It would be even better if you have a sandbox site.

Thanks!

• Panos

Hey lazi ,

Apologies for taking so long to get back to you!

I was wondering initially if this was still active in the front end cause of the grace period. But that is set to one day by default and this specific subscription has expired several days ago.

I have added a custom mu-plugin that will show the actual status of the subscription, as it is in DB. In case you are wondering why it shows a different status in admin and different in front, the status displayed in admin, is based on the expired dates. If an expiration date has passed the admin knows that this subscription has expired (even though member may have access for a few more days). In front end, since there is a grace period, member knows that his subscription still is active (until that grace period gets passed).

What happened for member zuluwhitegirl is not related to the grace period though. I'm still looking into it. Currently after saving it, it got set to expired in DB too. It should have been set to expired from the cron job which didn't happen.

I'll keep you updated with what I find.

Kind regards!

• Panos

Hey lazi ,

Yes I have noticed some members still have this. I can set them all to expired, but still need to check the reason those have not been set to expired with the cron job.

I have asked main plugin dev for his valuable feedback. btw I noticed that the membership flow is not as I would expected. It seems strange to me to have the Queen (paid ) membership, then switch to the Guest (it's free, so it's all good), but then after Guest ends it tries to switch to King, which is paid, recurring with trial.

I might be missing something in the flow, so in case this is not done by accident, please let me know so I can test this set up in my test sites to see if I can replicate this behavior there.

Kind regards!

• lazi

i think it will be wise to set them all up to expire after we have identified and fixed the issue in question.

The King membership is monthly recurring, but some users cancel subscription so i did prefer when expired it reverts to Guest to keep the users interested.

There must not be any trial access.

what do you recommend will work best ? is that strange to switch from Queen to Guest ?
    The Queen membership is one day full access, so when users opt for this one day ,it then reverts to Guest again.
    i did prefer to make queen switch to King after expire, but will this set up make the user pay for king membership ? i was worried about this set up.

• Panos

The only objection I would have is the Guest membership switching to King, for 2 reasons.

First it is moving from a free to a paid membership and
    Second, after King expires it switches back to Guest again which on it's turn, when it expires it switches to King and so on. Seems it falls into loop whatever membership is being selected, it will end up from Guest to King then back to Guest and again to King etc.

The Guest membership also has a Free trial set of what I see. I don't think I would change anything to be honest, it depends on your needs.

Something else you might need to keep in mind is, when switching from any membership to a paid one, member needs to pay for the new one in order to have access.

Regarding the issue about not expiring those subscriptions, I have added a custom mu-plugin which would create a few logs of what is going on during the cron check. That mu-plugin is in wp-conent/mu-plugins/ms-monitor-cron.php. Currently I have re-named it to ms-monitor-cron.php.txt so it doesn't log any more during cron runs, in order to avoid creating many log files. I have kept the current log files in case you would like to have a look. They are in wp-content/ms-logs folder. Those logs show each subscription id, and if the subscription has a past expire date and active status, it lists payments and then it list the new status.

You can see all subscriptions with past dates in this page:
    yoursite.com/wp-admin/admin.php?page=ms-db-status-monitor
    where it seems that all of them have been set to expired.
    This page is also created with a custom mu-plugin which is in :
    wp-content/mu-plugins/ms-subscription-db-monitor.php

You can delete those mu-plugins at any time.

I also installed a beta version and set a new cron run.

With the beta version it seems that it worked fine this time, it changed all active subscriptions, that have past dates, to expired.

Kind regards!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.