membership not protecting content

Membership plugin premium is not protecting my content.

Here's what I did under the "Public" level (Stranger level)
I only want the public to see about 8 pages.
I have about 120 posts with 20 categories that I want private.

To make everything private this is what I did:
I selected all categories under the "negative" area, so none of them should be public.
I selected all posts as "negative."
I selected 1 page under the "negative" section.

I hid one menu item (this was the only thing that worked.)

I created a free public account and added it to the options area under "strangers" setting.

I activated the Public level.
I activated membership plugin.

The posts were still visible so I made them all private (instead of "published" in WP). I kept one "published" so I could experiment.

Nothing is working.

To troubleshoot I deactivated all of my plugins except wp membership. This didn't help.

Any ideas on how to fix this or why it is not working?

I have a shared HostGator plan with all the right php and mysql levels.

Do I need to activate multiuser for this to work? I'm using WP 3.1.2 and am an experienced web designer with moderate programming skills...and still I have no idea what's wrong.

I'd love to use this plugin if I can get it to work. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Amy

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

I selected all categories under the "negative" area, so none of them should be public.
    I selected all posts as "negative."

You don't really need to do this, it's probably best to just use categories if all you posts have them set.

I created a free public account and added it to the options area under "strangers" setting.

Not sure i understand this step - is this a user account? Or so you mean the public level here? The strangers setting refers to levels not accounts which is why i'm confused.

The posts were still visible so I made them all private (instead of "published" in WP). I kept one "published" so I could experiment.

What user where you testing as or where you testing in the browser but logged out? Or where you still logged in as the admin user - in which case none of your rules would be running (admin is exempt from restrictions).

• AmyBrucker
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Thanks for the quick reply.

Yes, the "negative" options were redundant. I tried every combination imaginable, and ended with everything under negative because just selecting the categories did not work.

Yes, I mean a free public level.

I am logged into Chrome, which is where I do my admin work.

I check my results under FireFox and IE8 and just doubled checked to make sure I was not logged in. I am not, nor was I earlier.

I hope that helps answer your questions. If not let me know.

• AmyBrucker

It's not a silly question...it was the first thing I checked before I posted for help. :slight_smile:
    Yes, it's enabled.

I had Digital Access Pass member software installed but it's deactivated. I'm wondering if there is residue code somewhere. Not sure if this even possible, though.

I cleared super-cache, too.

• AmyBrucker

After much testing, WP Membership is still not working properly for me. The "magically started working" comment above was an inaccurate observation.

I've determined what's wrong, though.

My intention is to protect all posts, making them accessible only to paying members.

Under the "stranger" level I added the "category" section to the "negative" area and selected all categories so they are NOT accessible to the "stranger" group.

This only protects the posts when the category directory is used in the URL.

If I type in
    http://www.mydomain.com/category/xxx

I cannot open the category.

But, if I type in the URL of a post

http://www.mydomain.com/post_title

it is not protected at all.

And, once a post is accessed this way, all posts can be accessed by clicking "previous" or "next."

In order to protect my posts I have to add ALL of them to the "negative" category.

However, WP Membership only shows 25 posts and I have 111 so I cannot protect most of my posts.

It is my understanding that selecting all of the categories should protect all of the posts, but this is not happening.

Any ideas of what could be wrong?

And, how can I protect all of my posts if I cannot select them under the "negative" area?

FYI, I have WP Membership Premium 2.04

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.