Membership not updating subscription end date

I am unable to get my Membership Pro plugin to renew my subscribers.

The payments are coming back to the site – I can see them on the “Transactions” screen on the Gateway - but the expiration date is not updated.

It should also be noted that all of these users were migrated from another subscription system. They are all configured with the Paypal Express gateway.

Happy to provide admin info upon request. if that means a speedier resolution.

• Vaughan
    • Support/SLS MockingJay

Hi Joe,

Hope you're well?

Can you tell me what gateway they were using before? Also what are your subscription plans currently?

If you are using serial with the express gateway then renewals aren't possible as they will be automatic. If you are changing them onto a different gateway, they would first need to cancel their previous subscription as the IPN data etc would still be using the old gateway.

If you could elaborate a bit more on this. Also if you could you grant support access from the dashboard plugin so we can take a closer look? See https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Thanks

• Joe
    • Flash Drive

I (and sounds like others) could use a chart of some sorts based upon which Paypal gateway to use in which scenarios.

My users are used to renewing yearly, and I want them to continue to have that option (12 month subscription that manually renews).

I also have setup an auto-renewing subscription because some people have said they would like that option. No one has used it yet.

• Joe
    • Flash Drive

So I have everyone now on the Paypal Express (solo) gateway.

Subscription plan - serial, 1 year subscription.

When people go through the process of hitting "subscribe" to renew, everything seems to work but the expiration date is not updated. The payment shows in the gateway as far as completed.

I am well and truly stumped and a little frustrated.

• Joe
    • Flash Drive

It's been two weeks and I've gotten no response. Rather frustrating. I instead to get to log in each morning, see which subscribers got a free year, then revoke that year and send them an e-mail asking them to renew. To say it's not helped my renewal rate would be an understatement.

• Vaughan
    • Support/SLS MockingJay

Hi Joe,

sorry for the delays.

Does the subscription actually get applied, when you said they were migrated from a different membership, how did you do the migration? your users would first need to cancel their old subscription and sign up to the new subscription.

Are they renewing before their current subscription expires or after it has expired, I believe if they renewed before, then the expiry date will change once the current subscription date expires. But let me just ask a colleague @Jack Kitterhing for some of his expertise on this for you.

Thanks

• Joe
    • Flash Drive

I used a Wordpress plugin to import the users, then a SQL script to set the expiration dates.

(Aside: some kind of CSV "import" functionality would really be huge for this plugin and would really drive adoption and cut the support issues, I'd think.)

They're all renewing after their subscriptions expire as they're not getting notifications that their subscriptions are soon expiring. (Different issue.)

So I have to go in and drop their subscription because, absent any action from me, they're getting another year for free.

At that point, they can then renew. I have no idea what will happen in 12 months.

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there Joe,

Hope you're well today, If you are using PayPal the subscriptions should be dropped to the exact time they signed up.

Can you check your IPN responses in your PayPal account > History > IPN, it should have a response code (200, 404 etc).

Also our new membership type plugin "Protected Content", https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/protected-content/ has the option to export membership data and import memberships from "Membership".

We're here to help.

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Joe
    • Flash Drive

So … the IPN's for people who are renewing are showing up there. But those are people for whom I've manually ended their subscriptions.

But I don't see any IPN's for people who are expiring. Nor would I expect to, isn't the expiration date of the subscription based off the expiration date in the database?

Kind of confused here.

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hiya Joe,

Hope you're well today, sorry I think I may have confused the situation, based on your posts, it seemed the issue was that your members aren't renewing on serial subscriptions, like they should be?

If you use PayPal, membership uses the IPN to extend the end date, if the IPN isn't received, the payment is marked unsuccessful and the member will expire. If this makes sense?

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Joe
    • Flash Drive

They aren't renewing because their (serial) subscriptions are not expiring. They get kicked over for another year with no payment required.

Without manual intervention (dropping the subscription) on my part, they would have a continual renewing subscription.

Once I've done that, and they renew, everything is fine.

They do have the ability to extend for another year if they go in to renew before expiration. But since the communications aren't being sent, they don't get that notice either.

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hiya Joe,

Sorry about the delay, can you send me the following please and I'll get this fixed up for you.

Thanks!

- In the subject field add "Attn: Jack Kitterhing"
    - Link back to this thread
    - Include admin/network access
    - Include FTP
    - Include any relevant URLS for your site

On the contact form, select "I have a different question", this ensures it comes through and gets assigned to me.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there Joe,

Thanks for sending through the info, looks like the main issue is, the PayPal single gateway is being used with a serial subscription.

The single gateway only works with a one time payment (either finite or indefinite).

If you switch to PayPal standards payment gateway, that'll work correctly, as that supports recurring (serial) subscriptions and will update the expiration date and charge the member by the time period defined (i.e, every year).

Please note that existing members would need to cancel and re-subscribe when you've switched gateways, unfortunately there is no way within PayPal to move a subscription to a different type/gateway.

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack

• Joe
    • Flash Drive

Yes, I want it to be a one-time payment. At the end of that time period, I don't want them to be charged again, I want their subscription to expire.

I previously tried the Standard gateway, but that doesn't allow for people to renew ahead of time, they had to let their subscription expire before they could renew. That did not go over well with the user base.

I don't understand why the subscription module, in the absence of any payment, just continues the subscription. That was my understanding of "serial" - it would not extend like this.

It appears the only way I can get this to work properly is to write a script that reads the wp_m_subscription_transaction table and updates the expiration date in … wp_m_membership_relationships? wp_usermeta?

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @Joe,

Sorry about the delay on this.

The main issue here is the following:

Serial (automatically recurring)
    Finite (ends after a set period time)
    Indefinite

Standard gateway (processes serial subscriptions with PayPal recurring payments)
    Single Gateway (For finite and indefinite where subscriptions shouldn't automatically take place)

The issue being that with the single gateway + a serial subscription, the IPN isn't returned to say that the payment hasn't been received, so membership automatically extends the subscriptions.

In your case it should be the finite subscription + the single gateway, for non automatically recurring subscriptions that end after a set period of time.

Have you tried the finite subscription at all, to see if this works for you? :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• KennethFeldman
    • Flash Drive

I am in the exact same spot as Joe.

We want members subscriptions to expire after 1 year, but be able to renew early.

Per previous support answer, I have changed my settings to SERIAL / PayPal Single Payments. This allows early renewal, and the accounts page indicates that the renewal will add 1 year after the expiration date. (I've now set two of my test users to expire early tomorrow to see if their access to the subscribers only areas gets revoked.)

Also, like Joe my reminder emails are not going out at all. (I've posted this as a separate support issue.)

• KennethFeldman
    • Flash Drive

Grrr! Very frustrating.

Same result as Joe got -- my test user's subscription automatically renewed, even though they didn't pay for an additional year. That's just not good.

I was advised by support to use SERIAL subscription with PayPal Single Payments, and this option/result just makes no sense. Why would I want a user to retain access after their subscription ended?

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @Joe and @KennethFeldman,

Hope you're both well today.

Joe, that's correct, they wouldn't be able to renew early with that method, unfortunately that isn't currently available with membership, which sounds like the same issue for you Kenneth.

Have both of you considered Protected content at all? That allows the user to renew five days before membership expiration, how long do you need the user to be able to renew in advance?

If you can let me know, I can have a chat with the lead developer of protected content to see if we can implement this. :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Joe
    • Flash Drive

I'd need it to be 30 days to be useful.

I also don't understand why when "IPN isn't returned to say that the payment hasn't been received, so membership automatically extends the subscriptions. " Shouldn't the subscription just expire in this case? The automatic renewal seems like a very odd behavior for the software to make.

And protected content doesn't really help - I had an integration coded around Membership and its backend tables for people to receive content. A new plugin means new tables and I have to find a developer to re-code the integration.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.