Membership: One signup = two accounts! Need ideas.

Hello,

I just met with a possible client running an organization for Montessori schools here in my state. They want to offer memberships to individuals and schools to access a forum on the site.

One level would be an individual membership, which seems simple enough and it's clear the the Memberships Plugin would handle this.

The second type is a "School Membership" that would offer membership to a school which would include access for two administrators and a discounted price for all teachers in that school.

I thought I'd put this one out to the community to see if anyone has done something similar or those who understand the plugins better than I do, might know of the best plugin combo or custom dev to handle this.

I'm sure there's more than one way to skin this cat!

Thanks!

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings GravityMKTG,

Thank you for this great question and a significant item to bring up.

This would probably be best dealt with using roles with specific permissions granted to that role.

In Membership this can be done using the associated role feature in the advanced section: http://www.webpagescreenshot.info/img/91264-928201294726AM

Logged into the admin dashboard go to --> Membership --> Access Levels --> Advanced tab --> Associated Roles at bottom of page.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

• Tom Eagles
    • Syntax Hero

@GravityMKTG

@aecnu joe is spot on with that, but for adding multiple users via the same membership account you would have to manually create them then assign them to role of admin teachers etc. But this then leads to the problem of de activating all these users when the school for example closes its account / subscription.

I personally cant think of a way using membership to add more than one user on sign up. (the best way would be that the main admin at the school did the sign up, then either a)added the teachers admins etc, or emailed you with the list for you to do it)

This is similar to they way i am approaching my education site, also i am adding extra features outside of wordpress which require a custom setup on the web server for each school.

I will just be putting a notice in the membership form that this type of account will be activated immediately but will take upto 24 hours to fully configure.

• GravityMKTG
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Thank you both for sharing your ideas with me.

aecnu - I've found the area you mentioned, but it's not clear how I might assign a role to allow for the signup member to allow for the creation of a second account?

tom.eagles - I'll look at the other plugins you mention.

What do you guys think about using a coupon code? I see that there is the option of creating a coupon code and it can even have use limits.

It seems some custom development needs to be done regardless, but perhaps it would be easier to develop a way for a coupon code to be created upon signup and emailed to the new signup good for one 100% off coupon to be used once?

I am not a dev and will need to hire one, but does that sound far-fetched?

Thanks again for your input.

Dan

• Tom Eagles
    • Syntax Hero

@GravityMKTG

Hey dan, not a bad idea, but how often would you potentially be giving one of those away ? It just takes a few seconds to add one with a 1 time use. I normally email something like that to the person I am dealing with directly to avoid any misuse. Unless you can see it happening on a very frequent basis i don't think it would be worth the time / money involved.

Cheers

Tom

• GravityMKTG

That's a good point, Tom. To be honest, I don't think any of us know how popular this site or that particular membership level will be. It could be infrequent after a while even if the first few months they're open, the site is busy.

I guess I wanted to solve a possible customer service issue before it started, in case someone in the organization forgot to send the coupon code out in a timely manner.

Can the Membership Plugin send a notification email to a site admin of a new signup?

• Tom Eagles
    • Syntax Hero

@GravityMKTG

Hey Dan

To be honest i dont know, i know pro sites does that you would have to read through the manual or look through the settings pages. Although i have the membership plugin installed its not activated yet.

With regards to a potential customer service problem i understand where you are coming from. Thats going to be down to your budget etc. But I personally would look at other places to invest it that would need it more such as the mid tier levels etc.

• GravityMKTG

What would be really slick is to have the additional user creation in the admin for the original user.

When a "School Membership" signup happens, their admin panel has a section where they can add one new account. There are fields for name and password and when they enter info there, the account is created and the person with those credentials can log in.

The original account could choose to delete that second account and then another could be added, should that second account decide to leave. But only two accounts would be open at any one time.

Maybe I should add this to the Job Board... hmmmm...

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings GravityMKTG,

Of course there is a notification email to a site admin, here is the copy of one below that joined my test membership site:

Membership new user registration

New user registration on your site AECNU Membership Testing Ground:

Username: XXXX

E-mail: XXXXX

Cheers, Joe

• GravityMKTG

@tom.eagles Thanks for sharing your experience and help on this!

@aecnu - is that email configurable? I am in the Membership Plugin admin now and I haven't seen that configuration yet.

And, can it indicate which Membership Level signed up?

I would be comfortable modifying PHP for this if necessary if you know where to find that code.

The reason I ask is, if it can notify my client regarding a "School" membership, maybe I can change the notification email to remind that person to create the 100% off coupon code.

That solution just may work for them.

Thanks for your time.

Dan

• GravityMKTG

@aecnu - I have downloaded and checked out SB Welcome Email Editor plugin and it looks like a great plugin! Thanks for the suggestion.

Do you know if there is a "hook" (like [blog_name]) that I can use to embed the Membership Level type into the email?

Thanks again,

Dan

• Tom Eagles
    • Syntax Hero

This may be a way for you to manage it using filters like this that the plugin supports

How can I add my own tags ?
    You can filter the tags array and add your replacements. Let's say you want to randomly display some sponsored links somewhere in your email template:

add_filter('wpbe_tags', 'add_my_tags');
    function add_my_tags( $tags ) {
        $ads = array('<a href="#">Sponsored link 1</a>', '<a href="#">Sponsored link 2</a>', '<a href="#">Sponsored link 3</a>');
        $tags['sponsored_link'] = $ads[array_rand($ads, 1)];
        return $tags;
    }

The key of the array sponsored_link will be a new tag (%sponsored_link%) you can include. It will be randomly replaced with one of your sponsored links.

The example above is taking sponsored links as an additinonal content but you can imagine anything like including lastest posts, a quote of the day or whatever. You can place this function in your functions.php theme file or in a plugin.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.