Membership only in a child site

Hi,what I'm trying to achieve is not a social network using Buddypress but a network of sites with different level of accesses.
WPMS is good for me as user registered in one site get access as subscriber to all site.Now in my main site I'm planning to use Shopp plugin as shoppping cart(as it has an option to create new user for every new buyer and I'm not yet sure how to achieve that with Marketpress) and my main site is integrated with bbpress so this is the only way to let both new buyer and free users give access to forum.
Free users/Subscriber <>Inactive in bbpress(only can see)
Shopp created user(Contributer)<>Member in bbpress
In a separate child site xyz.mysite.com I would use members(as what I have understood it uses different signup routine) to run some kind of membership and access control.
My questions are:
According to wordpress codex the membership created users would get a default role of subscriber throughout the network,so they will be able to access bbpress right?Is there a way to change their role to contributor throughout the network?
Second question is:It is at all possible that Membership plugin will only work in one child blog and NOT in the mother site?
Finally:Is it possible to let user have a frontend 'single' profile throughout the network?So they don't have access to dashboard,they don't need that either as they are not gonna have the ability to create new blogs or posts.They can only post in forum and comment in blog posts.
Please guide on this.
Many thanks in advance.

• DavidM

Hello emagineit,

I'm not familiar with Shopp myself, but we'll gladly see how we might be able to help you accomplish your goals using MarketPress. :slight_smile:

According to wordpress codex the membership created users would get a default role of subscriber throughout the network,so they will be able to access bbpress right?Is there a way to change their role to contributor throughout the network?

The following plugin should allow you to set a default level for standard WordPress roles though I'm not sure how that works with bbPress.
    http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/multisite-user-management/

Second question is:It is at all possible that Membership plugin will only work in one child blog and NOT in the mother site?

Sure! By default, Membership is configured to be used on a site-by-site basis, so you could potentially activate it only on one blog.

Finally:Is it possible to let user have a frontend 'single' profile throughout the network?So they don't have access to dashboard,they don't need that either as they are not gonna have the ability to create new blogs or posts.They can only post in forum and comment in blog posts.

I don't see how Membership could work that way if you're going to use it as previously stated. It must be setup either using a global database OR using databases on a site-by-site basis.

Perhaps you might be able to achieve all of this using some tricky combinations of Membership and the inbuilt WordPress roles? It really depends on the specifics you're trying to achieve I guess.

Cheers,
    David

• emagineit

Hi David,that plugin you have referred is really awesome.May be I was not clear about my last query.
    What I want actually is not to let 'subscribers' have access to backend of site instead they should have a frontend profile.[something like attached page]
    Buddypress give a user profile page by default so something similar is possible to achieve through WPMS(as I don't want to take the hassle of modify existing theme to make buddypress compatiable nor I want to have facilities like groups or pm?
    What do you suggest?Would look forward to your answer and thanks again for all your help.

• DavidM

Hi emagineit, if you're considering bringing most of your WordPress functionality to the front-end to keep users from the back-end, I would think you'd end up doing a whole lot of custom work.

If all you're really looking for though, is basic front-end functionality like front-end posting, you could use the following:
    http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/front-end-editor/

Aside from that, I'm not sure how to best bring all that back-end stuff to the front-end except through custom work. There's a job posting here where you might be able to get that done too.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/wpmu-jobs/

But then, if you're comfortable with a bit of coding, there's lots of material scattered throughout these forums that could help you get a good start.

Cheers,
    David

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.