Membership or Supporter plugin; Whats the difference?

Hello I would like to monetize my site and network but am a little confused on what the difference is between the membership plugin and the supporter plugin? and which is better to use?.

Thanks, I appreciate your responses.

• Sarah Gooding
    • Recruit

This is a very common question. Supporter is for paid upgrades, essentially like creating your own wordpress.com. You can do things like turn off ads, restrict extra features like Google Analytics, restrict access and usage of premium themes, etc. It’s more for restricting functionality.

Membership is more for restricting access to content specifically, such as pages, posts, BuddyPress groups, galleries, etc. However, there are ways that the two can overlap sometimes.

If there’s something specific you’re hoping to accomplish, let us know and we can suggest which plugin would be best-suited.

• TerryG
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Good to know. We’ve checked out the Supporter plugin and it’s great for setting up who gets what. But we would also like to have a few blog pages restricted to “Premium” members only. So, do we add in the Membership plugin to do this? Seems like it might be a little overkill but if they play nice together, then maybe?

• winning
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Is there a solution to TerryG’s request above? People pay to sign up for a supporter level/subscription and at the same time also gain access to certain “supporter-only” content.

We’ve checked out the Supporter plugin and it’s great for setting up who gets what. But we would also like to have a few blog pages restricted to “Premium” members only.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.