Membership paypal

Using paypal.. We want the ability to take both recurring and one time payments..
Spoke to paypal and they said that you can take one time payments without the user having a paypal account.. For recurring user must have paypal account.

Membership does not seem to give our new sign ups the ability to proceed without a paypal account.
So is there a practical way to allow a new user to make a one time payment (credit card to paypal)without being forced to sign up for a paypal account ?
Could this be related to the API info paypal stepped us through getting ...Membership only provides a place to place your email address associated with your paypal account,did not see anywhere to put API info...?

• MScott821

I ran into this myself.

Here's the low-down on how the pieces work:

First, Paypal:
    The free version of Paypal - Paypal express does NOT allow you to receive payments using ONLY a credit card. IE - a buyer must have a Paypal account even if paying with a card. If the buyer DOES NOT have a Paypal account, he/she must make one.

Bummer.

As far as recurring payments - with Paypal express the buyer MUST USE paypal as the payment source - Express accounts will NOT bill recurring to a credit card.

Bummer.

Yes, you can enhance your Express account to "Advanced" for $5 a month. This will allow billing to be on credit card W/O using a paypal account. Still does not allow recurring to a credit card.

To have your Paypal account accept recurring credit card payments without the need for a paypal account on the buyers end, you must upgrade your "Advanced" account by adding "Recurring Payment" option - another $10 per month. So now your paypal bill is $15 month.

Bummer.

Biggest bummer though?

Membership only integrates with Paypal Express. So if you upgrade your paypal account to a higher level - it will break the integration and you will not be able to accept ANYTHING.

The WPMU guys know this, but you should put in a feature request (again) and hopefully we will get this as it really is needed for a viable recurring subscription business,

• 100X

Thanks for the run down MSCOTT

Spoke to Paypal last week covering these topics.. Here is what I believe they said..In the advanced account you need to build an iframe ..They have an integration dept,spoke to them...They will help/advise on coordinating that..For those of using membership non-starter as you said..
    I thought they did say you can make one time payments (standard account)through paypal without setting up an account and without the web host, handling the CC info as they would in their 30$ Pro account..

Am I confused?

That is the point ,I was trying to clarify..

• MScott821

100x -

You probably could create some kind of solution with coding or whatever, but for those of us mere mortals using what the tools let us do, we really need our WPMU friends to create integration with Paypal Advanced in addition to Express.

I could be all wet, and do not want to be presumptuous, but I wonder if it really would be that hard to tweak what they already have for Express and send the right API calls formatted to work with Advanced.

I just assumed it would work myself (naive, I know) and flipped the switch over at Paypal. I then attempted to use it as the gateway and basically the error that I got when testing was that the URL that membership was sending over to paypal was malformed...

As far as payments in Express, my understanding is that no matter what the payment type is - one-off or recurring - it still needs to have a buyer Paypal account in the mix. That is why it is free - think about it: We won;t charge you anything (transaction fees of course) for your monthly, but this is a "loss leader" in that everyone who pays is forced to create a paypal account...

BTW - as I understand it, even the Pro account does not include the Advanced Recurring payment service - I had it for years and couldn't do the recurring payment thing for CCs. The reasons to go Pro (@$30 a month as you say) is either for taking payments over the phone live using Virtual terminals or if you are big time into e-commerce and are going to program your own shopping stuff.

• Tom Eagles

Hi @100X

Paypal express does handle single payments without a credit card correct, it also handles subscriptions if the member has a credit card or back account assigned to their paypal account so the funds can be pulled from subscriptions like that, they don't need to have a balance on their paypal account. But either way they must have a paypal account as mentioned earlier. No need for SSL payments handled offsite.

Paypal Pro requires SSL as your members stay on your site and you hold all the details of transactions etc.

If you want to use credit cards without paypal then you would need a merchant account with the credit card companies this could then handle subscription type scenarios.

As for Paypal advanced support that is something that is being looked at but no ETA yet.

I will Tag the developer to see if and when this will be implemented for you.

Cheers!

Tom

• MScott821

A little more clarification:

You only retain transaction information with PP Pro if you are using the custom API/solution.

Having Pro and using a plugin that works similar to Membership OR using PP buttons does not require your site deals with the transaction info directly.

The end user experience is basically like it is with Express, only on your end you can offer more options - such as not requiring the buyer to have a PayPal account to pay with a CC.

• Barry

You would have to use the communications module to remind your members that they need to renew their subscriptions (you can set the emails to go out x days before a period expires) and send them to their subscriptions page where they will see a "Renew" button. Pressing that will take them to paypal to pay for the next period of their subscription. If they don't do that, then the subscription will expire at the end of the current period.

• Tom Eagles

@MScott821 @100X

Are we all finished up here? Could you please do us a favour in future as it will speed up the response times to support as we work on a back to front basis, so every time a new post is added a thread appears as a new update which means it drops below the oldest ones. Please if you have separate issues in the future start a new thread it improves our response time to you and makes the threads much easier for us to focus on and track different issues and solve your problems much faster. If you both can let us know the status then we can either continue helping on this one or mark it as solved. But thanks to both of you for the quick responses to our questions :slight_smile:

Cheers!

Tom

• aecnu

Greetings MScott821,

Thanks for bringing this up, it certainly sounds like a useful customization to the plugin.

Unfortunately, it is not currently available - but we would love to put it into consideration for future development

I have moved this ticket to the applicable feature requests area and I have alerted the lead developer to the request.

It might take a bit longer than useful but alternatively, you could see if there's a developer available at wpmu jobs who could get onto it right this minute

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.