Membership paypal IPN problems

Hi,

I'm only using 2 gateways, Paypal express and Paypal Single Payment.
I am currently testing with Paypal Sandbox

I am also using the latest version of Wordpress.

When a user subscribes, all the info gets sent to Paypal perfectly. However, once the transaction is done, the user's membership profile isn't updated. Through the wordpress admin, I can see that there's no record of the transaction or anything.

Membership uses dynamic IPN with the use of notify_url in their HTML. That way Paypal can send their IPN to the location that's stated in the notify_url parameter.This serves as a confirmation for the membership plugin that the client did in fact pay and he should therefore become a member.

However the notify_url parameter that's sent is:

(mywebsite) wordpress%2Fpaymentreturn%2Fpaypalsolo&submit.x=36&submit.y=17

or in other words

http://(mywebsite)/wordpress/paymentreturn/paypalsolo

Which does not exist. In the wordpress folder there is no such thing as the paymentreturn folder.

So if I understand correctly, the IPN is failing because membership is telling Paypal to send back the IPN to a location that doesn't exist.

What's going on? And what is the notify_url parameter normally supposed to return?

I tried re-installing, but that didn't change anything.

I can manually change user membership levels, but I want it done automatically

I became a member (paid money) just to get this problem fixed.

Help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks in advance

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings ak_rd44,

Welcome to WPMU Dev!

Thank you for your great questions and your input which are both greatly appreciated.

The first thing you should do is quit using PayPal sandbox mode which the PayPal sandbox is erratic at best and most of the issues folks receive in sandbox mode immediately clear up once they are out. There have even been some that have been in sandbox and when they got out they had problems with live - that is why I personally always go live.

Are you running the Bad Behavior plugin? I ask because it is known to block PayPal IPN's - just Google Bad Behavior and PayPal IPN and you will see what I mean.

We have also found some hosts blocking PayPal IPN's for example Blue Host

Regarding the return URL's which are indeed dynamic, the return URL you indicated is correct from what I can see and it is addressing the Paypal Single Payment gateway.

Please advise on the items and topics addressed above.

I look forward to your reply in any event.

Cheers, Joe

• babbsela
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

I use Membership on a couple of sites, and I don't recall PayPal pinging the membership back to the site when done with the test payment. I had to change it to Live Site for it to do the IPN. With the site live, PayPal does ping the site with the membership.

The link you posted is the correct one for the IPN.

I had problems with IPN when setting up the first site. This thread might be helpful to you https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/subscription-payment-doesnt-enable-membership

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings ak_rd44,

We have not heard back from you as to the status of this issue.

If you are still having an issue please let us know so that we may try to get you fixed up as soon as possible by choosing to check mark this ticket as unresolved below and posting any new errors or symptoms you are noticing.

This action will also bring your ticket up front back in plain view again within the ticket system.

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.