Membership PayPal Plugin - Error Invalid Regular period

Not sure right off as I haven't tried it but Andrew and crew aren't supporting wp3 until it gets officially released. There may be an answer but I did want to point that out.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/wordpress-3-0-and-wpmu-dev/

I;m supposed to point you at the Compatible With box along the right hand side of this page:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/membership

Hopefully though someone has tried it already.

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

@q2results I'm popping in sporadically, when I can get access to wifi.

Can you post your subscription levels (order, type, period and price) and we can try to work out what is causing the pay pal form generating part to not include those elements.

Thanks
    Barry

• Aaron
    • CTO

Sorry, I somehow deleted the original question for this thread, so here it is:

Hi James and Crew,

I just rejoined because of this plugin (usually I use WishlistMember) and am running it successfully on Wordpress3.0 except for this:

The Subscription page shows up here...

http://huttbuzz.com/join-now/

But, when I click the Subscribe Button Paypal gives me an error message:

Invalid Regular period. You must specify valid values for the A3, P3, and T3 parameters for a subscription.

Is this a real error or am I just not following instructions?

Help!

• q2results
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi Barry,

Thanks for your help. I think the problem must be the $0 payment. I've seen this problem before on some other payment systems that use paypal.

I'm gonna go change these and see if it works then.

The subscription levels are as follows:

Visitor
    Indefinite
    1 day
    0 USD

Subscriber
    Indefinite
    7 days
    1 USD

Indefinite
    30 days
    79 USD

Members
    Indefinite
    7 days
    97 USD

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi q2results - sorry, think the gremlins got in here.
    The plugin is never going to get beyond the first level on that subscription. You can set a 0 price, but it must be for a finite period - e.g. 7 days free then .....

after that you can have another finite period or move to indefinite or serial levels. An indefinite or serial level is effectively the last level you will have in your subscription because you are saying that the user will either stay at that level forever from that point onwards (indefinite), or will repeatedly renew on that level from that point onwards (serial).

Hope that helps.

• Tammy
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hello,

I'm trying to set up a subscription and each time I click "subscribe" in my test run (logged in as admin because I can't get it to show me the registration page otherwise -- the subscription is active, live, shown to the public), I get this error message at the PayPal screen:

"Invalid Regular period. You must specify valid values for the A3, P3, and T3 parameters for a subscription."

I did edit the plugin's config file to increase the amount I could list for the subscription ($497) -- doubt that's causing it though.

I'm running RC2 of the membership plugin on WP 3.0. Screenshot of subscription setup page attached.

Any idea what I could be doing wrong? Thanks!

• Tammy

Yes, it is weird! I dug about on the 'net and saw some references to paypal disliking infinite parameters for subscription, so tried changing the 2nd subscription (shown above) to 20 years. That resulted in a different error:

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi @Tammy
    The pay pal gateway will try it's best to work out what pricing you are implementing and then translate that into paypal-y parameters to go in the form. Some it may not get correct.

For the example you give above, is the pricing 30 days at a set price then free indefinitely?

With regards to parameters, pay pal has some maximums that you can use, so an indefinite subscription should set itself to the max for that particular gateway (3 years I believe for paypal express).

I'll try to replicate it, because it should be able to handle that price setting.

• Tammy

Hi, Barry -

Yes, your understanding of my desired parameters is accurate -- 30 days at a set price, then free indefinitely (in other words, they pay, have 30 days to try limited sections out, then have access to everything if they don't request a refund).

BTW, I was finally able to test it as non-admin, same results. In case it was a browser problem (I use Chrome for Mac), I also tried FF and Safari. No difference.

Thanks!

Tammy

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

@Tammy - I'm getting an update for this and a few other bugs / issues ready - I've got to strip a chunk of code out for the update first that I wanted in the next release but isn't going to be fully ready and tested in a reasonable time.

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

@Tammy - would you say that a subscription that has an x payment for y days, then is free indefinitely after that would match a subscription that has a payment of x for indefinite membership?

I'm trying to match that subscription to a paypal express parameter set, and the above is the only thing I can think of to match at the moment.

• Tammy

Hi, Barry -

It sounds like a payment of x for indefinite membership would make sense in PayPal terms as long as the Membership plugin parameters would allow me to limit content for a period y days before making all content fully available to the buyer.

Does what I've described make sense? I used to use the WishList plugin (truly awful customer support and maintenance of the plugin when WP upgrades) with the same parameters and used PayPal as well, so there must be a way to do it. But -- it wasn't PP Express -- it was PayPal Standard.

Hope that helps,
    Tammy

• Tammy

Great news! Thanks a bunch, Barry. I'll say it again: You all are terrific with the customer support and the product development and I'm definitely going to buy a long-term package after this first trial month is winding down.

• starcat
    • Flash Drive

Hello Barry, i myself am having a problem Similar to tammy.. im new to this entire thing and i was PLANNING on launching my site on the 22nd but i doubt it will go over now that this error has popped up..

my site is http://Www.worldboffingleague.com and most of the things were working.. i had 4 membership levels.. Guest / member / Blacksmith and Team captain.

Guests are strangers.. members were registered people and blacksmith / team captains were paying customers.. after i figured out that Members took up subscription space and afterwards were UNABLE to see the registration page because it kept telling them "you are already a member" i deleted the member area.. and modified the Guest. this is very difficult because you cant register twice.. or upgrade.

anyway the problem is this.. number 1 problem is i tested a payment with someone and the payment worked.. it changed her subscription just like it was supposed to.. i deleted her account and we were going to test the other one. the blacksmith is 5 dollars. the team captain is 25 dollars montly.
    well we tried it again and now i get this error out of no where.

Invalid second trial period. You must specify valid values for the A2, P2, and T2 parameters for a subscription.

and worst part, i tried to delete/deactivate the Member subscription but it wont let me. it says there is still 1 member left with the subscription...but there isnt. there is NO one on my site with any subscriptions. not even myself. i have deleted the plugin and re installed to no avail. after getting this far i cant give up now. i hope someone can help.. im not a programmer so what i can do is very limited so i am relying on this forum.

• starcat
    • Flash Drive

well its not causing the problem now. but ill take a screen shot.

well i cant seem to figure out how to get a screenshot so ill just tell you.

theres 3 levels..

Guest team captain and blacksmith..
    Guest = indefinite. 1 day period and 0 usd.

Blacksmith

Indefinite 30 days

5 USd monthly

Team captain

Indefinite 30 days 25 dollars monthly.

At the moment it APPEARS to be working with the exception of "member" theres a member subscription that no one is using but it says 1 user is using it even though no one is.. i cant decativate it or delete it.

since this problem appears to be working i have another question.. im consideirng getting the Word press market plugin.. 2 questions.

1, do i have to KEEP paying to keep this plugin and the market working? or once i buy it do i have it forever and im basically paying for support?

and 2, and im sure im not the first to ask this.. the market... will it allow users to Sell or does THAT particular function require the supporter plugin? because its very cryptic about that particular feature. none of the other devs seem to want to answer that question.

im counting on you berry! thank you

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

1, do i have to KEEP paying to keep this plugin and the market working? or once i buy it do i have it forever and im basically paying for support?

Once you have it, you can use it as long as you want. The subscription is purely for support and upgrades (such as version 2.0 of membership which we have just released).

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.