Membership Plug in

I have been asked by Barry to start a new thread on this. I am refering to the Membership plugin not allowing Member levels to be restricted to various pages of access.

I am running membership beta 3.4.3

I have 4 levels of membership in my site where each level of member should only access certain pages. At the moment they are seeing everything across all member levels.

• Brian Purkiss
    • Smushie Pies

Do you have negative access rules set up for those pages?

So… let’s say Access Level 1 has access to pages 1a and 1b, but not 2a and 2b.

Access Level 2 has access to pages 2a and to 2 but not 1a and 1b.

Does Access Level 1 have negative rules for 2a and 2b and does Access Level 2 have negative rules for 1a and 1b?

And what happens when people try and view those pages but aren’t logged in?

• john_highman
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi Brian,

In answer to your questions…

I have no negative rules. They are all positive. They apply to the different groups. Certain groups can see certain pages and the rules are positive.

When people try to access my site and any of the protected pages they are taken to a protected content page. They cannot get in.

Given the difficulty with the other lower levels of members I have turned off the low levels. So any new member is a full member at the high level. That will get me around the problem until a resolve is found.

• phillcoxon
    • The Crimson Coder

At the very least you want a Visitors level that you set as the default level under Membership -> Options -> General Options.

Then for that visitors level (Membership -> Access Levels) use negative rules to block all content that you don’t want free members to see.

You may also need to use URL groups to block certain types of content. See my post here.

This sets the base level to work from.

From there if you have paid user levels you will be able to use negative rules to block the content that each of the paid levels are able to access.

Does that make sense?

I am working towards lifetime membership so if this answer was helpful to you please consider gifting me some rep points. Thanks!

• Brian Purkiss
    • Smushie Pies

That’s your problem John.

You need to have pages set as negative in order for them to be hidden.

You can do this by setting your entire site to hidden, or specifically setting certain pages to require that certain membership.

You will need to have the access levels who shouldn’t have access to certain pages, have negative rules preventing them from having access to those pages.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.