Membership Plug-in: Creating an additional membership class

We are using the Membership Plug-in, and we are finding ourselves need to create two different membership classes. (An example of this is regular members and a class of "Vendors," that will not have the standard membership classes that regular members will have but a completely different set of membership rules.)

For example:
Logged out user -> Unverified member -> Verified member
Logged out user -> Unverified vendor -> Verified vendor

What is the best way to implement this extra membership class? Is there any best practices that can be recommended?

Thanks,
- Ernie

• offbeatempire
    • Flash Drive

@Barry,

No problem. So basically, with the Membership plug-in, a typical flow for someone joining a website is to fill out a profile page, pay for a subscription and then they join the website.

We're creating a community website which will allow two types of users -- regular users where they would join the website pending approval and vendors, who will cater to the users but will require a PayPal subscription to join the site. This member flow would be completely different than the standard member profile.

We made a preliminary flowchart here:
    http://skitch.com/ernieatlyd/dq7nk/newdocument-2-.pdf

It seems pretty straightforward to create either a flow for a regular member or a Vendor, but we would like to introduce the option for a new member to choose either member type and then go down the appropriate path. Is there an easy way to do this?

Thanks in advance,
    - Ernie

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Since you're talking about vendors (who will probably be around for awhile and want features like the ability to update their content), why not use the Supporter plugin for them? It's pretty advanced and would allow you to control how/where/when they publish information on the site.

Then use the membership plugin for the couples. You can dictate which content members or guests can see and even (if desired) hand over some of that control to your vendors through the shortcodes. Haven't tested this idea, but it sounds like a fun challenge.

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

hmm... I'm not sure I'm tracking with "2 separate profile classes", do you mean two member levels (ie two different sets of content to be made viewable)? Or are you looking for custom profiles in the WordPress since of the word "profile" within the admin section? The membership plugin can definitely do the membership levels/types, but I'm not tracking with the profile thing yet.

• offbeatempire
    • Flash Drive

The 2 profile classes is basically the same issue outlined in this thread, except for instead of candidate/employer it'll be brides/vendors. I'm not expecting that Membership will take care of THAT issue -- apologies, I didn't mean to confuse things.

Basically, we want ALL members to have to be approved before membership. We'd talked about doing this by creating a class of "unverified members," and then the Registration Options plugin. Unverified Members (both brides and vendors) would have to fill out their profiles before becoming "verified members." I'm hoping the flow chart makes the idea a bit more clear.

Basically, membership flow goes
    pick membership type > get approved > MEMBERSHIP!

In other words:
    Logged out user -> Unverified bride -> Verified bride
    Logged out user -> Unverified vendor -> Verified vendor

• offbeatempire
    • Flash Drive

My dev wrote out the logic:

1. New user

2. Pick membership type, either

a. Bride

b. Vendor

3. Ideally, if Bride

a. Bride must complete Bride specific BuddyPress profile information

4. else if Vendor

a. Vendor must complete Vendor specific BuddyPress profile information

5. ALL accounts - both Bride and Vendor - must be approved by an Admin

6. If accounts are approved by admin

a. If Bride, then you're done!

b. If Vendor, start on a specific 7-day free trial which then charges on a Membership basis.

7. If accounts are NOT approved by admin

a. Show an appropriate failure message

• JoseffB
    • The Crimson Coder

Subdomains are cool when they work, but honestly they are a bit of a pain in the carcass when they don't. I mean the overhead on a regular root install is acceptable, but once you get into doing subfolder installs and virtual directories all bets are off. I stick with the sub directory approach now.

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Can you clarify for me - at this point (6.b):

6. If accounts are approved by admin
    a. If Bride, then you're done!
    b. If Vendor, start on a specific 7-day free trial which then charges on a Membership basis.
    7. If accounts are NOT approved by admin
    a. Show an appropriate failure message

You need to re-contact the Vendor and *then* request they complete the sign up with their payment details? Or, are you thinking of taking the details earlier on in the steps and holding them?

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.