Membership Plug in is not caputuring new Purchases through Pay Pal

Membership Plug in - is not capturing New membership Info OR showing any new members listed in the members List.

Details below from Pay Pal IPN History

Membership Purchase 10-20-13

IPN History shows: 3PX01956B4690012T

Date/time created10/20/2013 08:33 PDT

Original/ResentOriginal

Latest delivery attempt date/time10/20/2013 08:33 PDT

Notification URLhttp://utlimateprosperityplanners.us7.list-manage.com/subscribe/paypal-ipn?u=3cc590bb455776aa7e0c54604&id=cba794a1dd

HTTP response codeWhat's this?200

Delivery statusSent

No. of retries0

Transaction ID

IPN typeRecurring payment profile

When a new subscriber pays for membership - are they automatically directed to log in and create a user ID to enter the membership website OR is this part of the process a self directed process by the member?

How do I (as an admin) go through a mock of this process to ensure all steps are set up correctly?

• Patrick

Hi @Jayne

The HTTP response code is a good thing. See here for more:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_HTTP_status_codes

Are you testing in live or sandbox mode?

When in sandbox mode, transactions can sometimes be set as pending. Please check the pending transaction records in the PayPal gateway.

When a new subscriber pays for membership - are they automatically directed to log in and create a user ID to enter the membership website OR is this part of the process a self directed process by the member?

Yes, a user first selects a subscription on your site, and must then register on your site. After that, they are directed to PayPal for payment, and are brought back to your site afterwards.

How do I (as an admin) go through a mock of this process to ensure all steps are set up correctly?

The best way is to do it not as an admin. :slight_smile:

Simply register on your site as a regular user.

• Jayne

Update after speaking to Mail chimp about not capturing membership information this was their reply: In order for a subscriber to be added via the integration an "item" must be purchased via your Paypal account. You will need to make sure they purchase an item through your Paypal account.

Currently my item is set as: Regular Recurring Payment $20.00 USD Indefinite Indefinite Monthly $20.00 USD do you see this being an issue with proper capture of membership information?

Can you suggest how I can address two issues currently with membership plug in:
    A) Memberships are not being captured in the "members list"
    B) Payment Gateway is not capturing any purchases

Thank you

• Patrick

Hi again @Jayne

No worries, your reply did not read as rude at all. A little frustrated maybe, but that's to be expected when faced with a challenge :slight_smile:

On the main plugin screen, Membership > Membership, does anything display in the News widget (screenshot)?

Do you have any cache plugin running on your site? Have you tried clearing cache?

As for the MailChimp issue, have you set up the Pings for that integration? You'll find instructions for that in the Membership manual on page 39.

As well as an overview video here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vRrWidibBg&list=PLV1BcivFAIdtF4p7CYVfMbVAJ4JQ1Rpe9&index=16

• Jayne

Jack,

Yes I do have WP Super Cache running. Should I disable it?

There is activity on "news" area, but is from manual entries of membership.
    We had two membership purchases that were made (10-18 & 10-20) the information was not captured through the membership app or mail chimp list.

The insight that I received from Mail chimp support indicated that because the "item" in pay pal is a reoccuring membership cost and not an "item" that may cause a problem - Do you agree with that? I was hesitant to make any changes in pay pal until I had your insight first. ( )

My goal right now is to test the system. I have not found any direction youtube or in manual how to go about that process. How can i quickly test Pay Pal Gateway? It was my understanding in a previous post you had to be in Sandbox mode, and had to create a sandbox account before it would work - Is that correct or is there another way to test the system quickly. As I had mentioned before, the IPN seems to be working on the pay pal side in history - but is not capturing information within membership plug in or mail chimp. Please point me in the correct direction that will resolve this matter. Thanks!

• Patrick

Hi again @Jayne

I hope you had a good weekend!

You can test the PayPal gateway in sandbox mode if you have a sandbox account. If you don't have one, here are the instructions on how to set one up:
    https://developer.paypal.com/webapps/developer/docs/classic/lifecycle/ug_sandbox/#accounts

You'll also find detailed instructions on setting up MailChimp pings in the Membership manual on page 39.

We had two membership purchases that were made (10-18 & 10-20) the information was not captured through the membership app

Silly questions maybe, but have you ensured that membership protection is Enabled, and that your access levels and subscription plans are set to Active and Public?

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.