Membership Plug-In Screens not working correctly

I have spent at least two hours trying to get the MEMBERSHIP screens correct. I even went back to both the documentation and the videos, to no avail.

I created a custom REGISTER page that had a Terms of Use agreement on it. So BEFORE a user registers, he/she has the opportunity to read the Terms . . .

Our membership is FREE. So after they scroll past the Terms of Use, they only have one SUBSCRIPTION option and that is FREE MEMBERSHIP.

No matter what I do, after they click the button, the NEXT page is the SAME TERMS OF USE, but below it are the boxes they fill in to register.

I only want the Terms of Use to show up ONCE before they register.

I have tried turning off subscriptions, that doesn't work. And when I created a new SUBSCRIPTIONS page, it just showed up when the user wanted to alter their subscription, not when they register.

I have granted WP Support access. PLEASE Help.

Thank you.

Mary

• Tyler Postle

Hey Mary,

Hope you're doing well today and thanks for your question!

The easiest way to get around that with your current setup is to switch to a "PopUp Registration form" I just made the switch now so you can check it out. If you want to switch it back then navigate to:

Membership > Options > Membership Pages. right underneath the registration page selection there is the form option :slight_smile:

If that doesn't work then you can try removing the terms and conditions from the subscriptions/registration page there and place it in it's own page and place the short for that subscription under it - from there it should take them to the registration page which won't have the terms and conditions anymore.

the shortcode to place in the subscription will look like this:

[subscriptiontitle subscription="2"]
    [subscriptiondetails subscription="2"]
    [subscriptionprice subscription="2"]
    [subscriptionbutton subscription="2"]

replace "2" with the ID of your subscription.

Let me know if one of those options will work for you :slight_smile:

Have a great rest of your week.

All the best,
    Tyler

• Mary

Hi Tyler,

Nice button the code created.

Pop up worked BUT after I completed the registration pop-up, ANOTHER pop-up appeared and wanted to know the Amount of the subscription . . . and wouldn't let me enter anything, had no way to X out, . . . and our membership is FREE so that would get users running.

So I retried to log in myself. I entered my user ID and no password, hoping it would have a lost password utility. It didn't.

OK, so scratch the pop-up. Please re-assess my site and see what I've done wrong. It goes from the Terms page to the Registrations page that also has the Terms of Use, except where'd they come from?

Mary :o)

• Mary

Tyler, Jack, or whoever,

I am sooooo tired of trying to make this work. Have now spent at least 8 or 10 hours trying everything I can think of. I have repeatedly walked away to clear my mind, re-read the documentation I can find, changed too many options, pages, and settings and it just won't work the way I want. Here's what I want:

1. The new user gets to the site and sees the "Welcome" screen.
    2. The new user clicks the "Register - FREE" menu item at the top of the page.
    3. They are directed to a page that will EITHER
    a) show the Terms of Use on top and has the [subscriptionform] boxes on the bottom that they fill out to "register' (I KNOW this is a subscription to the WP Membership plugin)

OR

b) show the Terms of Use page and has a button or link that I can call "CLICK" or something that will take them to ONLY the [subscriptionform] page so they can fill it out and be 'subscribed/registered'.

PLEASE review the screen shots attached, read all the comments near the arrows, and then TRY to subscribe/register WITHOUT being logged in. THEN log in (I will enable your access) and see if YOU can figure out what I have tried so many hours to, without success.

NO POPUP option, PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is my 'opinion' that most 'smart' users have pop-ups disabled, and I don't want to ask them to enable pop-ups just to register/subscribe to our site. No one will bother.

• Tyler Postle

Hey Mary,

Hope you're doing well today. More than happy to help further with this :slight_smile:

Here is what you will want to do:

1. Remove the terms and conditions from your Register page. "REGISTER - FREE" page in your page list.

2. Create a new page and paste in your terms and conditions then at the bottom of this new page place this shortcode:

[subscriptionbutton subscription="3"]

This will link them to the registration form page which will now just be a form because we took out the terms and conditions.

Now you should be good to go :slight_smile:

If you want to change the "Subscribe" text in the button then you can use our Ultimate Branding plugin with it and the "Network wide text change" module.

Enter in "Subscribe" then change it to "Register". This will change it to Register.

Alternatively, you can create your own button, you just have to make sure that it links to this link:

http://works-words.com/NSM-WIKI/WP/wordpress/register-3/?action=registeruser&subscription=3

Doesn't matter where on your site they click to go to that link, it will always take them to the register page.

The reason is says "registeruser" and "subscription=3" in the url is because it is doing 2 actions. It is registering the user and applying subscription with the ID 3 to that user :slight_smile:

Hope this helps Mary! If you need any further help implementing this, just let me know!

Look forward to hearing back.

All the best,
    Tyler

• Mary

Tyler,

Thank you for the reply and attempt to fix this. It is now at least two hours since I got your reply and made the changes. Here's what happens AFTER the changes:
    1. When I click on the top of screen menu item REGISTER - FREE, I get a page that says "Sorry, can't find what you want" . . . see first attachment.

2. When I scroll down the WELCOME page, and click LOGIN IN TO POST A COMMENT, I am taken to the WP login box. Under it on the left it has a REGISTER link. I click that and get the Terms Of Use page (correct) with the SUBSCRIBE button on the bottom AND the link I created for visitors.
    . . . see second attachment.

3. When I click either the Subscribe button OR the link I created, I get the same result I had before the change you suggested - the Terms of Use, with the registration boxes below. . . . see third attachment. I may have to add this attachment to the next message cause I think it will only put two attachments per message, if I remember right).

4. I have a screen shot of the REGISTER - FREE page after I edited it. I checked to make sure I removed the HTML as well (there was some remnant formatting on the page). And I have a screen shot of the Terms of Use page after I added the shortcode from your previous message. But you can see those because you still have access so I am not attaching them.

Any ideas?

Mary :disappointed:

• Tyler Postle

Hey Mary,

Thanks for your reply!

It looks like the page you edited is /register-free but the page linked in your menu is /register-3 - you also have your "Registration page" set to "Terms of Use" in your membership pages.

It looks like you're using "Terms of Use" as the page for your terms of use and register button - this should be a separate page - otherwise your register page will always have the terms of use on it.

Make /register-free your register page in membership options then in the "Register - Free" menu item, change that to the terms of use page because you want them to go there first.

Then they can read through the terms of use and then click the subscribe button that will take them to the /register-free page to complete there sign up. It will probably look like /register-free?action=registeruser&subscription=3 when they actually land on the page.

Hopefully that all makes sense. If you're still having troubles then do you mind if I set it up how I'm proposing? Then you can see what it's like and we can make tweaks as needed.

Have a great rest of your day Mary! Look forward to hearing back.

All the best,
    Tyler

• Mary

Tyler,

It looks like you're using "Terms of Use" as the page for your terms of use and register button - this should be a separate page - otherwise your register page will always have the terms of use on it.

Make /register-free your register page in membership options then in the "Register - Free" menu item, change that to the terms of use page because you want them to go there first.

HA?????

do you mind if I set it up how I'm proposing?

PLEASE do!!!!!!!!

Mary :slight_smile:

• Tyler Postle

Hey Mary,

No problem :slight_smile: happy to help!

Okay, so I did everything that I was thinking.

I hope you don't mind that I added 1 plugin: https://wordpress.org/plugins/ag-custom-admin/

The reason I added it was because it let's us change the register link on the login page. So instead of it going straight to /register-free it will send them to the terms of use page first :slight_smile:

The only setting in the AG Custom Admin plugin I changed is:

Tools > AG Custom Admin > Login Page > Registration Hyper Link.

The rest remained untouched - it does have some other cool features though :p

Anyways, let me know if that is how you were hoping it would work!

Look forward to hearing back.

All the best,
    Tyler

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.