membership plugin

Hi, Please can someone tell me the following:
If I use the plugin membership and enable it then is ALL of my site protected from any member of the public viewing it?
If this is the case then it means I need a specific membership site separate from my ordinary site.
If this is not the case then can someone tell me how to allow a member of the public to view my site and then decide if they wish to join and become a member in order to have certain privileges.
I do not wish to hide or un-hide content of my site - I just wish people to be a member in order to enjoy certain privileges.
Meanwhile I am clicking this and that and the other and signing off in order to see what Joe Blogs can see and cannot see on my site and it seems to me that if you have membership enabled then Joe Blogs cannot see your site - it is protected.
If you do not enable it then I think membership does not work at all.
thnaks
BB

• aecnu

Greetings BB,

Thank you for this great question and a significant item to bring up.

If I use the plugin membership and enable it then is ALL of my site protected from any member of the public viewing it?

That is true up to the extent of what parts of the site you set for the stranger level in which the public can then indeed view.

If this is not the case then can someone tell me how to allow a member of the public to view my site and then decide if they wish to join and become a member in order to have certain privileges.

You need to go through the setup of the plugin to incorporate this into your site to include setting up the stranger level as mentioned above.

I believe in this process you may find Mark video tutorial on Membership very enlightening as well as helpful:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/video-tutorial-how-to-set-up-a-membership-site

I do not wish to hide or un-hide content of my site - I just wish people to be a member in order to enjoy certain privileges.

Which privileges are you referring to? Maybe Membership is not the right plugin depending on the privileges you are referring to?

Meanwhile I am clicking this and that and the other and signing off in order to see what Joe Blogs can see and cannot see on my site and it seems to me that if you have membership enabled then Joe Blogs cannot see your site - it is protected.

Please advise and confirm that you have indeed set up the stranger level and assigned the public pages to it?

Cheers, Joe

• barbaraburgess

Hi aecnu, Just to say thanks for your help.
    I have, at last, got it sorted!
    A case of going over each page - more than once!
    Looking at all info and the videos - working it out - being patient - and I could say - slogging on and never giving up!
    I have now got 1 membership up and running and here goes to add more.
    I see you have many points and are a lifetime member but have added some more points. I could have added 1,000s as your info was very helpful.
    BB

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.