membership plugin

I have installed Membership plugin on the above site.

The structure of the site will initially be Member - See everything (no charge) Visitor - (No Access at all even home page)
eventually we will also have a Premium Membership for certain content but just want to get Member Access All and Visitor Access nothing working.

I have setup to membership levels as per above and added positive and negative rules for each. Basically I can still accees the site when I am not logged in. Not sure if I am pushing the boundaries of this plugin by making the whole site available to members and nothing to visitors? I hope not?
*edited to protect user*
Cheers Gavin

• Kimberly
    • Champion of Loops

Hello Gavin!

Welcome to the Community!

The login creds you gave do not allow me to see Membership. You'd need to make me a membership Admin.

My suggestion would be to create negative rules for all of the homepage links, including the homepage, for visitors. That way they will be automatically routed to the Protected content page where they can login/register.

You can protect the rest of the content by creating a negative rule that covers a url group for the remainder.

you can post up screenshots of your general and access level settings and I can have a look :slight_smile:

Kindest Regards,

Kimberly

• gd0g
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

I can't! Oh shoot not sure what happened and it doesn't make a whole lot of sense but since I updated the creds I have you I can't access any pages on the site? Admin nothing.

Very strange. Not sure what it is . My mind is thinking away I think I chose to block everything for visitors including the protected content page. Could that be why no pages will load including admin if I'm not logged in?

Hope not because that sounds scary to fix!

Do you think that is possible?

Cheers Gavin

• gd0g

sorted access issue sql database corrupt or something...anway back to the membership issue. I am trying to make the entire website memebr only then a platinum level above that. So reading the documentation I wasnt sure whether to use Vistor level? I have done so far and tested and the website appears. for everybody! Clearing doing something wrong.

Many thanks Gavin

• gd0g

Sorry didn't summarise very well there.

I want the whole site not viewable unless you are logged in as a member. Then above that I want a platinum member for certain content. At this stage lets say the platinum level is they get access to downloads so I can get the membership levels set up correctly. In setting up this platinum level I suspect I give them acccess to everything plus downloads? In effect what I am saying is when you create a third membership level and you have say 1, 2 and 3. When you set up 3 you cant say everything 2 has plus...?

Anyway sorry i will get my head around this eventually but any assistance you can provide would be appreciated as I cant get it to work. BTW I have used membership to work on another site but that site did not start off at blocking home page unless you are a member but that worked fine.

• Kimberly
    • Champion of Loops

When you are creating access levels you have the ability to Clone them, just hover underneath the Access Level name on the Access Level menu screen, then you can just rename the clone and add the items for the next level up.

Upon visiting the link I get a redirect error, perhaps you should consider a landing page :slight_smile:

• gd0g

Sorry I'm struggling to get my head around this.

So I should create a landing page for travl.com.au and make that page accessible by all level including a visitor level.

Positive Rules - this landing page
    Negative Rules - all other content

Then the premium membership level will be.

Positive Rules - all content including landing page
    Negative Rules - none

The landing page will need to be selected as the home page.

Does this sound like how I should do it to make my whole site membership only?

I do plan to have a platinum membership as well in which we will have some content not available to premiuim but i will worry about that later.

• gd0g

Further to my note above I have created a welcome page and allowed this page and the protected page to be a positive rule for visitors but when I activate the membership plugin I get an error unable to load page response.

Any advice on how to solve my issues would be appreciated.

Cheers Gavin

• Kimberly
    • Champion of Loops

It seems there is something mixed up in the settings as I'm getting a redirect issue as well.

I would setup an access level for visitors that has a negative rule for the entire Navigation menu. Then put a link on the homepage to subscribe.

Then the premium subscription would need no rules as all the access would be free.

• gd0g

This plugin is seriously doing my head in! I have created a visitor level and set this to stranger. I have created a member level and this has no rules.

For the visitor level I have set all categories to be negative, all posts to be negative, all pages except protected content and wlecome page to be negative. All menus to be negative.

Menus seems to be the only thing working! As a visitor I can view pages and categories that are set to negative.

u: mvp p: jasper

Can someone please take a look and advise why this is not working asap please.

http://www.travl.com.au/wp-admin

• gd0g

Further I understand I could possibly hide all links on the home page and have most but I dont get the basic principle that says "all categories and certain pages have a negative rule as a visitor but you can still access them and you don't get the this content is available to members only".

As you can see I have a large number of category links in the footer and as a visitor I can open every single one of them even though there is a negative rule for visitors. I can also type in to the address bar as a visitor http://www.travl.com.au/home which is also set a negative for visitor and the page loads!

Doing my head in!

• gd0g

OK I've tried to have this fixed by joining the live support about plugins and suggestions have not solved the problem. I really need to get this working. In my view the rules are very basic and should just work. My membership to wpmu seems a bit of a waste of time if something as straight forward as this cant be answered? We are delaying our launch because of this and it is very frustrating. Please some respond and someone fix the problem please!

• gd0g

I was advised via live chat that this issue had been passed onto Barry the developer and I would here from him within 24 hours which I think has now passed. I was wondering how I may get an update?

Cheers Gavin

FYI Kimberly not sure why you couldnt see website it is live.

• gd0g

HI Barry

No no no - that was just an example trying to understand and confirm the rule that blocks categories was meant to do

live website named earlier in thread and wasnt sure what live support has passed on.

http://www.travl.com.au/wp-admin
    u:mvp p: jasper

basically we want to block all categories for stranger and no one can understand why it is not working....please help been on it for two weeks!

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Are you seeing any posts that are added to any of the categories you are blocking?

To clarify my question - there is a difference between the plugin hiding all the posts that are assigned to a category and redirecting a category page rather than displaying that there are no posts to display.

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

The category page is different from hiding the posts that are on a category. So, it's best to concentrate on the protection of the posts (them not showing in any lists) first, then move to protecting the category summary page.

So, with the categories protected in your rules, are you seeing any posts that are added to any of the categories you are blocking?

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

To protect the pages, you need to use URL groups. Protecting the categories will remove those from the lists, but going to the category page will then just display a page with no posts on them, as the posts are protected.

So, next question is, do you want to protect all categories (i.e. redirect any attempt to access a category page) or are there just a few specific ones?

I can log into you site a bit later on when I get back to my dev machine and take a quick look if you want.

• gd0g

aggggh Barry where have you been all my life! OK I now understand. At this stage I want to block all categories as we are a simple stranger/visitor cant see anything except a welcome page we have created and a member level which sees everything.

I have blocked menus etc on the home/welcome page but I have links to categories in the footer which I dont want to hide BUT i want to block when the visitor clicks on them.

Can you explain to me how I set up URL groups for all categories or do I need to list them all or will http://www.travl.com.au/category do the job?

Thanks for your assistance!

• gd0g

great idea I need to go to bed down under! If you could just set the URL group as negative for I would appreciate it.

Could I ask you to also take a look at the settings > reading settings in wp? I basically want the home page ie to the the wordpress page - welcome

A colleague I spoke to said you cant set home page as a page in reading settings and then create rules around that page? Basically I want that page to be the landing page for http://www.travl.com.au and I want to block menus, categories and url group categories on that welcome page for visitors.

If you can confirm that I can do that and even do it for me I would really appreciate it.

Cheers Gavin

• gd0g

Sorry Barry can I also ask, we are building an app for this website as well and I was wondering if it is possible to have the membership settings allow rss feeds as this is how the content will get to the app.

Cheers Gavin

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

I really need to get this working! Someone please help.

I'm debugging at the moment, have been looking at it a few times over the course of the day - don't worry, I'm still on it - even though I'm not posting here every few minutes :slight_smile:

Sorry Barry can I also ask, we are building an app for this website as well and I was wondering if it is possible to have the membership settings allow rss feeds as this is how the content will get to the app.

It already does - each user / member has their own rss feed with a key to identify them.

• gd0g

Hi Thomas

Not sure which part of the q&a you are having the issue as I have had a few as part of this thread.

Basically now my only issue is the URL Group I have setup as a negative rule are not working. As a visitor the page still displays.

Is that your issue?

Cheers Gavin

• gd0g

G'day @Billzy no I am not. Basically have URL Group I have set up and I have added this group to a negative rule for strangers/visitor level but sadly it wont work URL's display for members and rule doesn't seem to be working.

• gd0g

Hi Barry Further to your advise about the rss feeds with keys created for members sorry can you explain to me how I can use this feature with my proposed iPhone app?

So to explain we have a news section on our app which is broken down into sections as follows:

Airlines: http://www.travl.com.au/category/airlines/feed
    Destinations: http://www.travl.com.au/category/destination/feed
    etc etc

Now that we are using your membership plugin can you explain how I can make that work? I'm not sure if there is a way to not block feeds at all? Not suggesting that is my preferred option but I am trying to understand what my options are in relation to being able to set up my app with a feed from my membership website.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers Gavin

• gd0g

Hi Barry I need to get this website live next week. I think I am just going to have to find an alternative to the membership plugin as it appears it is not going to work for me and I really can afford to have ongoing issues.

If we get a miracle in the next 24 hours great but other than that don't waste anymore of you time on this we've spent weeks already and I cant afford any more time and Im sure you cant either. Thanks for your efforts.

Cheers Gavin

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Pity your theme didn't make it through to me :slight_frown: anyway, I'm releasing a new beta today (beta 2 will be here - https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/membership-344-beta ) with some additions you can try

Now that we are using your membership plugin can you explain how I can make that work? I'm not sure if there is a way to not block feeds at all?

You would need to effectively create a user for your app. That would give the app a key that can be used to access the feed using their credentials - which can be seen at the bottom of the users profile page.

You then access the feeds as so:
    http://dev.site/feed?k=de7ddb2d06f28743114cf88e98906114

Which would validate the user and provide the content that user has access to, which as it is your test user can be anything you want them to access.

• gd0g

Hi Barry

Thanks very much for your help this solved the problem!

With the app sorry i am a little confused about what you are suggesting. Is there any documentation on feeds. i'm concerned that we may not be able to achieve the type of user you are suggesting on the app.

Any advice around documentation would be appreciated.

Thanks again for you efforts with the membership plugin.

Cheers Gavin

• gd0g

Hi Barry

Just re the RSS feed. Is there no way we can customise the code to allow rss feeds to work as per normal? It's not an issue for us that the articles are available to non members in the app as it only has the bare article anyway.

The key and user scenario will complicate app development at this stage.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers Gavin

• gd0g

Hi Barry

I have heard back from my app developer and the new is not great they currently dont support this feature. However he has confused me as he says if you have a key for the feed it should work but I got the impression from you that keys are not generated at the plugin or wordpress end they are generated from the app end?

Just wondering if there is a workaround here or we are cattle trucked?

Your advice would be appreciated.

Cheers Gavin

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

I have heard back from my app developer and the new is not great they currently dont support this feature.

What feature? Adding a query string to the end of a feed url?

However he has confused me as he says if you have a key for the feed it should work but I got the impression from you that keys are not generated at the plugin or wordpress end they are generated from the app end?

No, as I've mentioned a few times in this thread, the key is created by the membeship plugin and is accessible on the profile page of the user.

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Ok, as you are not understanding me - let me walk through this in steps.

You need a user that can access certain information, or all the information on your site. For the sake of clarity we shall call this user "theappuser".

1. Create "theappuser" as a user on your site.
    2. Give them full access to everything, e.g. create an "appuser" level and assign all the categories in the positive rule and then assign this level to "theappuser".
    3. Go to the profile of "theappuser", by clicking on the edit page and scrolling down to the bottom of the page. Here you will see a long string of characters. This is the membership key for the user.
    4. Get the url of the feed you want to use (e.g. http://www.travl.com.au/category/airlines/feed )
    5. To access the feed as the user you just created append ?k=longstringofcharacters to the end of it. e.g. http://www.travl.com.au/category/airlines/feed?k=longstringofcharacters

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Sorry your response earlier read carefully lead me to believe that the "app" needed to create a user.

You mean this bit :slight_smile:

You would need to effectively create a user for your app. That would give the app a key that can be used to access the feed using their credentials - which can be seen at the bottom of the users profile page.

• gd0g

Hi Barry

Not sure myself anymore!

Anyway it appeared to me that the feed would not load without the / after feed - now it does but it doesnt help me anyway because whilst the feed loads in the browser using your recommendation the app CMS wont recognise the feed. Clearly it's an issue at the app end. This is like pulling teeth! Painful!

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Anyway it appeared to me that the feed would not load without the / after feed

Your site should redirect to the url with the last / if it's entered without it. If it doesn't then there is an error somewhere.

The feed is still a standard RSS one, and an app should accept a feed with a query string (lots of them have them), so not sure what to suggest.

• gd0g

Barry your comments below

Sorry can you explain what you mean by "using their credentials"?

I have just discovered whilst the feed loads in a browser you actually get an error.

I added the feed to another buddypress test site I have and whilst it accepts the feed its says the feed has an error. Is this because the user is not "using their credentials"?

Sorry normally I'm pretty quick picking these things up but this is just not happening for me. Is it our of the question to just have normal feeds work? Or would you describe this as a normal feed.

Cheers Gavin

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Sorry can you explain what you mean by "using their credentials"?

You can't login to a feed, so the feed needs to know who the user is so that it can server the correct content. The key is a means of identifying that user.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=credentials+definition

A document or certificate proving a person's identity or qualifications

I have just discovered whilst the feed loads in a browser you actually get an error.

What error are you seeing? Can you post the details.

Is it our of the question to just have normal feeds work?

What would be the point of a membership site if a non-member could bypass the need to signup / pay / etc and just access the content via an rss feed? To remove that functionality you'd have to cut out quite a big chunk of the plugins code.

Or would you describe this as a normal feed.

It's a method of authenticating a user without the need for logging in or oauth or more complex methods.

Note: if you app won't accept querystrings in the feed url, then you could mask the url using your htaccess file and try using the masked url instead?

• gd0g

Hi Barry

Attached is the error. But i think you have answered the question. I'm not sure how I get a user to login when they are accessing the feed in an ipad app.

Thansk for your explanation. Our purpose for membership is probably slightly out of the norm however I would suspect that most using this plugin would also have some content which is not members only and I could therefore see the benefit for feeds for certain content to work as per normal. ie some categories might be available to free members/visitors?

Anwyay think I have to go to plan b.

Thanks.

• Mike
    • New Recruit

Hi @gd0g

We're just doing a little housekeeping to see if we have dropped the ball anywhere. We haven't replied here for over 5 months which is obviously not good enough. And I apologise for that.

Do you still have this issue? It looks as though it was resolved so I'm closing this thread, however if it wasn't please feel free to re-open and we'll do what we can to help :slight_smile:

If you have a different issue then please post a new thread and we will try and help you out there.

Cheers,
    Mike

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.