Membership plugin access level won't change

I've set up a website with Membership plugin. I want to drip content to users so that they pay for each level. I get the renew subscription button and when I make the payment, the level which the user is on is not updated. The user stays on the same access level no matter what. Tried also with free subscriptions and the case is the same.
How to solve the issue?

• aristath
    • Recruit

Hello there @seofriik, I hope you're well today!

Could you please provide some more details about your current setup? How many levels do you have? What about subscriptions? How are these set-up?
    Which payment gateway are you trying this with? Are you by any chance using a payment gateway in sandbox mode? If you are, then please try testing it on live mode.

Please advise,
    Ari.

• seofriik
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi. Thanks for the quick reply.
    I have three subscriptions. One of them is a default subscription you get once you have registered. This one is a one level subscription and works well.
    Now once signed up you can choose between two subscriptions. They are set up the same (one with 3 levels and one with 30 levels). Lets take the 3 level one as an example. So there are 3 levels, each one has to be paid for. Works ok with level 1, but when the user starts to renew it and has maid the payment, he will not be taken to level 2.
    Tried with Paypal Single Payments standard (not in sandbox) and with a custom payment method.

• seofriik
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Few more details. The subscriptions with access levels work so that once on level 2, the user sees also the content of previous levels. I have set up each level with pages, not shortcodes and a single page.

Did also try to disable the default subscription in order to get the paid subscription to work, but no luck.

Can also provide access to the site if we can solve it quicker this way :slight_smile:

Thanks!

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @seofriik,

Hope you're well today and thanks for granting access.

I've taken a look a this and your upgrades period limit was causing an issue, I've set that to 0 days and now if you remove the default subscription as well in membership > membership options, this will all work correctly.

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• seofriik
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi again
    Thanks for pointing it out.
    As far as I know the plugin cannot handle two parallel subscriptions, is this the same with the default subscription too?

Disabled the default subscription for now. Can I speed up the process of the upgrade, perhaps through the database so that I wouldn't have to wait a day to see if it works?

• seofriik
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi
    Yes managed to test it. Basically works now, though when a subscription level has expired and I renew it with a payment I don't get the upgrade to next level at once. I get upgraded at some later point in time. Why is that?

• seofriik
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi again
    I see. It's a matter of hours I'd say.

One more thing I wanted to ask. If there was the default subscription, the user was easily assigned to a role with limited access. Now that I cannot use the default subscription, how can I assign access privileges to a user who hasn't yet bought anything but can access the website (not the visitor). Wordpress shows the user with the role Customer, however how to assign the equivalent role access levels to the user?

Thanks!

• seofriik
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi again
    The subscriber and the customer have the same privilege to only "Read", but changing it didn't help sadly. If the new user joins the website by not purchasing anything but just signs up, he can see all the menus, but cannot access anything, not even the ones the Visitor can access :slight_frown:

Thanks

• seofriik
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi @Jack

I'm currently already unable to upgrade the version, as time was really of the essence, I had to do some custom coding to get everything to work, which means that if I upgrade I lose all that code and wouldn't want to start all over :slight_smile:

But thanks for all the help!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.