Membership plugin - allowing free access to articles

I would like a way to expose older posts for free viewing. I use Categories to protect posts (all Categories are protected) and the More Tag to expose teaser text to non-subscribers. For older content, I would like a non-subscriber to click on the link following the teaser content and read the entire post. I've tried numerous combinations of features in Access Levels. Lots of ways to stop readers from reading posts, but haven't found a way to expose older posts to readers. What am I missing?

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hello @michaelkaragosian

Greetings and thanks for posting on the forums.

To be true I can't think of a way to auto allow older posts to be accessed without a subscription.

The only way I see that possible is changing the post category after certain time and hence making it unprotected but that would need some custom modification and coding as well.

I have asked for our lead developers recommendation here however I would also like you to see this post here : http://wordpress.stackexchange.com/questions/7571/plugin-for-changing-a-posts-category-based-on-its-post-date (quite old) but give you a direction.

Cheers
    PC
    Sales &Support

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hey there,

Thanks for posting back. I have already asked the recommendation of our developer. While he chimes in, I have also asked my colleague @Patrick Cohen to see if he has got any ideas on making the old content auto available to the users. I am out of ideas on this one.

I will keep it on top of my list and will get back to you asap.

Cheers, PC

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

@michaelkaragosian & @PC

The only way I can think of to accomplish that is to add the Categories rule to negative access rules in the visitor access level, and ensure the category visitors should have access to is not checked.

Then, under Content Protection in Membership > Options, set the more tag default to "Yes".

That way, you can unlock older posts by assigning them to the category that is not checked in the access rule, and removing them from all other categories.

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

I tried that, thanks - it renders my site useless. Visitors ONLY get access to free stuff

Well, theoretically that should work. If you have moved a post from a paid category to a category which visitors should have access to, they will be able to view those posts.

The point of using the More Tag in access control is so that visitors can see a teaser.

That is only for protected content. So what is not working in that ?

Can you elaborate more on what is not working so that we can test and suggest ?

Cheers
    PC
    Sales &Support

• michaelkaragosian
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Visitors must be able to see all posts up to the More Tag. Your solution removes that ability. To see all posts up to the More Tag, they have to have access to all Categories. I'm not talking about theory - I actually tried your suggestion. The site is http://mkpereport.com. If you can build a site that looks and functions as that one does using Membership while allowing visitors full access to select articles, then I would be extremely interested in how you did it.

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hiya,

Thanks for your post.

If you can build a site that looks and functions as that one does using Membership while allowing visitors full access to select articles, then I would be extremely interested in how you did it.

Well, I can try and put up a demo where you can allow visitors full access to selected articles. I will let you know as I have done it.

Cheers
    PC
    Sales &Support

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hello There,

Here is how I tested it

I created 2 posts on my site

http://wpwd.in/visitor-should-not-have-access/
    http://wpwd.in/visitor-should-have-access/

Then I created 2 levels in membership

Visitor

Then I used Positive Rules where I used Categories to Protect the Posts

Visitor : Has access to Visitor Accessible Category
    Members : Has access to Visitor Accessible and Protected Both Categories

So, if you visit the posts now, you should be able to access the post which is added to the Visitor accessible category. At the same time that post is in Protected category as well however as the Visitor has access to a visitor accessible category, it would work fine !

Does that help ?

Cheers
    PC
    Sales &Support

• michaelkaragosian

We're not communicating well. The reason I point to my site http://mkpereport.com is to get across how the MORE TAG is used. The solution you posted does not work with the MORE TAG. On my site, visitors see the text in EVERY post up to the MORE TAG. In order for them to see the beginning of each post, they MUST have access to all categories. What I am seeking is a solution that allows access to visitors BEYOND the MORE TAG for selected posts. It is not possible to do that with categories.

• michaelkaragosian

Look folks, Magic Members can do what I need: expose protected content to all viewers up to the More Tag, and provide full access to selected posts. Here's one last shot: if you have a mod that allows me to do it, now is the time to tell me. Else, I have to switch.

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hey Michael,

I have sent a note to our lead developer @Eugene Manuilov who has recently taken over this plugin requesting him to chime in on this thread to see if that kind of mod is possible with ease.

he should be here sooner than later.

Cheers
    PC
    Sales &Support

• michaelkaragosian

Thanks very much. The Membership plugin has a lot of things going for it, but another level of access control should solve the kind of problem I'm having. A few suggestions for consideration:

1) Access management by post: On the edit page for each post, user can choose to override the subscription management rules for Visitor, and manually assign Visitor-level access.

2) Access management by named (“free”) category or tag: a predefined (or user-named) category or tag assigns access to Visitor-level, overriding the subscription management rules for Visitor, and assigning Visitor-level access. Preferably, application of the “free” category or tag is non-exclusive and can be used in conjunction with other categories and/or tags. If a "free" category is created, I would assume it would not be available for use in other category-defined rules.

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

1) Access management by post: On the edit page for each post, user can choose to override the subscription management rules for Visitor, and manually assign Visitor-level access.

That is a nice idea. Moved to features and feedback and sent a note to Eugene

2) Access management by named (“free”) category or tag: a predefined (or user-named) category or tag assigns access to Visitor-level, overriding the subscription management rules for Visitor, and assigning Visitor-level access. Preferably, application of the “free” category or tag is non-exclusive and can be used in conjunction with other categories and/or tags. If a "free" category is created, I would assume it would not be available for use in other category-defined rules.

I think it already does that. If you have something in X category and you have allowed Acces to that X category to visitor level, then anything which belongs to that category would be visible to free/visitor user.

Cheers
    PC
    Sales &Support

• michaelkaragosian

I think it already does that. If you have something in X category and you have allowed Acces to that X category to visitor level, then anything which belongs to that category would be visible to free/visitor user.

No, it doesn't do this. Please re-read the entire thread. You MUST assign access to all categories for the MORE TAG to be useful. Once you do that, you can't then use categories again to further control access. That's the whole point of this conversation!! If you guys don't get that yet, then this is hopeless.

• Eugene Manuilov
    • Syntax Hero

Hi @michaelkaragosian

This feature will be implemented in the nearest future. Don't know when it will be implemented exactly, but I know about this request and will work on it.

No, it doesn't do this. Please re-read the entire thread. You MUST assign access to all categories for the MORE TAG to be useful. Once you do that, you can't then use categories again to further control access. That's the whole point of this conversation!! If you guys don't get that yet, then this is hopeless.

Currently you can't disable MORE TAG protection for older posts... I will try to add this feature in the future, but not right now...

Regards,
    Eugene

• michaelkaragosian

Hi Eugene,

This forum for communication doesn't always seem to be the best way to get complex points across. Your response to my second point in my last post didn't make a lot of sense - maybe someone else needs this, but that's not what I'm asking for.

My point as it has evolved in this thread is in reference to the mistaken concept among support staff that the use of categories alone can solve multi-tiered access. Categories can only be used as an agent to filter one tier of access. When categories are used as a filter to enable visitors to view teaser content provided by the More Tag, then categories cannot also be used to filter free content for visitors. I hope that's clear.

Implementation of my suggestion 1) will provide a much-needed additional tier of filtering for access and solve the problem I have with Membership. When testing it, please note that it should not override normal More Tag functionality in WordPress. Regarding automation - I don't mind having to set free visitor access manually. (But if you come up with an automatable solution, please let me know.)

I'm very pleased to hear the idea for directly enabling visitor access has traction with you, and that you're planning to implement it. Can you give a time frame? 3mo? 6mo? 1year?

Best,
    Michael

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.