Membership plugin allowing members to skip payment and still be logged in

Hi

Im not sure what Ive changed but it seems that now a member can signup and chose subscription plan, then fill in some profile details and finally they end up with a paypal link to setup the payment. At this point the member has already signed up and if they ignor the proceed to paypal part they are able to remain logged in and use the site.

Have I missed something? Im sure its me :slight_smile:

Kind regards
Mark

• aristath
    • Recruit

@mark_bonito
    no, you didn't miss anything.
    Membership does not disallow logins to your site.
    It simply applies the restriction rules you 've set-up through your subscriptions and access levels to those users. If you haven't set-up any restriction rules for visitors, then non-members will be able to see your site as if membership does not exist.

I hope that helps!

Cheers,
    Ari

• mark_bonito
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Thank Ari

My site is based around being a directory amongst other things. Is there a way I would be able to avoid the user from filling in the signup form or at least part of the signup form?
    Whats happening is that they can avoid paying and still have a searchable contactable profile.

Kind regards
    Mark

• aristath
    • Recruit

Whats happening is that they can avoid paying and still have a searchable contactable profile.

You cannot disallow the creation of profiles.
    However, you can disallow access to non-paying customers so that they won't be able to search other people's profiles!

Cheers,
    Ari.

• mark_bonito

Dam thats a shame. I didnt realize this would be the case. Its appealing to members that if they pay they can join a directory that is viewable by the public.

Might have to monitor this site a lot closer than I first intended to ensure people dont cheat :slight_smile:

Thanks Ari

Kind regards
    Mark

• aristath
    • Recruit

Its appealing to members that if they pay they can join a directory that is viewable by the public.

As I said earlier,
    you can disallow access to non-paying customers so that they won't be able to search other people's profiles!
    So non-paying customers will not be able to view other people's profiles, but paying members will.

Cheers,
    Ari.

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Im not sure what Ive changed but it seems that now a member can signup and chose subscription plan, then fill in some profile details and finally they end up with a paypal link to setup the payment. At this point the member has already signed up and if they ignor the proceed to paypal part they are able to remain logged in and use the site.

Yes, that's the case - but they will still only have the same access levels that you set up for your visitors level. A registered user who is not on a subscription is the same as a non registered user.

As long as you are not assigning levels to people who have registered (the setting in your options) then they are not accessing any content you have protected and that they shouldn't have access to.

• mark_bonito

Hi Barry

Yes I see, but the member who bypasses payment is still assigned a searchable profile the same as a paying member.

Is it possible that upon registering the member does not have to fill out every profile detail? So that they only signup with a username email and password? And not the extended profile sections?

Kind regards
    Mark

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Do you think it matters that a user does not need to confirm email address?

Not really :slight_smile: I've always thought that if they are having to make a payment to you to get access to your site, then they're not likely to be spammers and are most likely to make sure it's correct :slight_smile:

It is, however, on our todo list for future releases, so we'll keep an eye on it and if it poses a problem for you down the line then let us know and we can see if we can move it up the priority list.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.