Membership plugin - beta

I know you guys have been hanging out for this... here's the first beta of our membership plugin:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/membership

Kudos to Barry who's been working like heck to get this out.

Obviously this is a beta and as such we're looking for hardcore testing, bug reports, feedback and feature requests... bring em on :slight_smile:

• john

Hi guys,

tried it out and got these error messages :
    Warning: include_once() [function.include-once]: URL file-access is disabled in the server configuration in /home/myaccount/public_html/wp-content/mu-plugins/membershipincludes/classes/membershipadmin.php on line 82

Warning: include_once(http://mydomain.net/wp-content/mu-plugins/membershipincludes/classes/upgrade.php) [function.include-once]: failed to open stream: no suitable wrapper could be found in /home/myaccount/public_html/wp-content/mu-plugins/membershipincludes/classes/membershipadmin.php on line 82

Warning: include_once() [function.include]: Failed opening 'http://mydomain.net/wp-content/mu-plugins/membershipincludes/classes/upgrade.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:disappointed:usr/lib/php:disappointed:usr/local/lib/php') in /home/myaccount/public_html/wp-content/mu-plugins/membershipincludes/classes/membershipadmin.php on line 82

Fatal error: Call to undefined function m_upgrade() in /home/myaccount/public_html/wp-content/mu-plugins/membershipincludes/classes/membershipadmin.php on line 84

any ideas ?

thx
    john

• john

Hi James,

did that, uploaded and as i activate it now shows this message :

Warning: include_once(/home/myaccount/public_html/wp-content/plugins/membership/membershipincludes/classes/upgrade.php) [function.include-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/myaccount/public_html/wp-content/plugins/membershipincludes/classes/membershipadmin.php on line 82

Warning: include_once() [function.include]: Failed opening '/home/myaccount/public_html/wp-content/plugins/membership/membershipincludes/classes/upgrade.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:disappointed:usr/lib/php:disappointed:usr/local/lib/php') in /home/myaccount/public_html/wp-content/plugins/membershipincludes/classes/membershipadmin.php on line 82

Fatal error: Call to undefined function m_upgrade() in /home/myaccount/public_html/wp-content/plugins/membershipincludes/classes/membershipadmin.php on line 84

thx
    john

• rnz

Hi All

Sorry to say that this plugin, when activated, turns most of my site to white (bar the header and footer). It also interferes with the Private Suite/Private Only plugins, with the effect that a non-logged-in user can see the header and footer (not good when I've not yet released the site). Sadly I can't use the plugin when it does this. Hope you can fix these issues as I'm hoping this plugin will provide what I'm after.

Cheers
    Richard

• Barry

@rnz - because the plugin controls a users access to site content - there is some pre-thinking / set up needed before just activating. I'm rushing through some initial set up / strategy documentation at the moment to get people up and running as painlessly as possible.

Needless to say, you need your site set up ready with the relevant tagged posts BEFORE activating otherwise, there will be no content available to members and also no members able to view it - thus no content shown / blank page with just header and footer.

• Barry

@gergef - this initial version has a basic set of "rules" available, but the rules are easily added to, so any ideas / suggestions of rules (and how you envisage / want them to work) would be fantastic.

I would like to be able to create rule "packs" that can be installed so that admins only have visible those rules they need (the buddypress pack will be one of them), so the more ideas the better really.

• georgef

@Barry Awesome!

Here goes a few things that would be great..

- Integration with both the supporter and wp affiliate plugin

- A way to drip feed content so that it can be released on a weekly / monthly basis

- Integration with Aweber. Was shocked that mailchimp recently canceled my account. And other than Aweber being one of the most popular vendors, they have a great way of letting users subscribe / unsubscribe from various lists, so great to move subscribers to paid members for example.

- Integration with Nanacast and 1shoppingcart. Nanacast provides excellent solutions for shipping out information products, and I'm sure there would be many people who would want a 1shoppingcart integration.

- a way for the signup page to appear in a template AFTER a member has activated there account with Buddypress. So they first sign up as a free member, then have the membership join page available after account activation.

Thanks, I'm sure a few more things will come to mind.

• Barry

@georgef

a way for the signup page to appear in a template AFTER a member has activated there account with Buddypress. So they first sign up as a free member, then have the membership join page available after account activation.

Yep, this is in the works already - there will be a page with the wp-admin side of things to allow existing users to upgrade / subscribe - and it will also be available as a dedicated short code. At the moment, if a user is logged in and they visit the signup page, they will only see the subscription options (not another account creation page), but I want to make the choice as flexible as possible.

• dubya

Yea! I could get used to being spoiled like this. Keep up the great work.

Just one question:
    Is charging fees optional? In other words, is there / will there be the ability to have multiple levels of free accounts? I have a site that I run for a club of real people that actually meet face to face :wink:. I'd like to be able to separate site content for visitors, members (signup via invite code), and executive officers, but keep them all free. I'd be ok with having to manually promote the executives.

• Barry

You can add / move / drop susbcriptions manually (and in bulk) using the Members admin page - Subscriptions added that way (by an admin) are free for the user, even though they could be paid memberships if a user signs up via the public interface (I hope that made sense).

You can also add "special" top up levels to members to enhance any existing subscription or to just give them a permanent set of permissions.

I'm adding in a "on-signup" subscription option, so that a new user can be assigned to a subscription level automatically, for sites that want to forgo the "payment" options.

If any of the above wasn't clear, let me know and I'll try my best to put it in different words (and probably clearer ones).

• dubya

Thanks for the quick responce Barry.

even though they could be paid memberships if a user signs up via the public interface

Could that aspect of the public interface be disabled? For this particular site, all memberships would be free. Basically, no matter how much someone wants to give us money, site membersip would be exclusively restricted to actual club members only. Displaying pay options (even if they need an invite code to signup) would be problematic. I know that the corporate sponsor (a major motorcycle manufacturer) will not budge on this one.

Thanks.

• Barry

@dubya - Yes - you simply don't create a page in the system with the "subscriptionform" shortcode on it, and set the Registration page option in the membership options panel to None, then the option to send payment will never be displayed to a user / visitor.

Update to this to make it a bit clearer:
    The signup form is basically just a standard WP page with a specific shortcode on it. You can use the page to, basically, sell the subscription - then place the shortcode where you want the signup form to go. If you don't create this page - then you won't have a signup / payment form.

The setting in the options panel to identify the registration page, is so that the plugin know that page is special. It would be no good having a registration page that a non-member couldn't see because they weren't a member - so this makes sure the registration page is always accessible.

• xInd

This is an excellent plugin, though as the developer mentions, it is not one to just activate and go. One of the initial things I learnt in testing this plugin out that may have new users confused, is that even once you make your initial subscriptions and memberships, they still need to be activated much the same way a standard plugin does, before they will appear as an option on the edit user page.

So, a quick beginner install to get going would be....

1. Go to Edit Levels and create an administrator level, adding all the available abilities on the following page.

2. Once this is finished, you need to once again go to Edit Levels and click activate underneath your newly created Administrator level

3. Once this is activated, you can go to Edit User and the membership level will be available for selection.

4. Repeat and enjoy.

• dubya

I'm gettin' the following error...

Warning: include_once(/home/dubya1337/biker-blogs.net/wp-content/plugins/membership/membershipincludes/classes/upgrade.php) [function.include-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/dubya1337/biker-blogs.net/wp-content/plugins/membershipincludes/classes/membershipadmin.php on line 82</p>
    <p>Warning: include_once() [function.include]: Failed opening '/home/dubya1337/biker-blogs.net/wp-content/plugins/membership/membershipincludes/classes/upgrade.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/php5/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/dubya1337/biker-blogs.net/wp-content/plugins/membershipincludes/classes/membershipadmin.php on line 82</p>
    <p>Fatal error: Call to undefined function M_Upgrade() in /home/dubya1337/biker-blogs.net/wp-content/plugins/membershipincludes/classes/membershipadmin.php on line 84

I've tried the mu-plugins directory as well as both regular and network activations using the plugins directory.
    Is this due to the fact that I am running wp3.0b2?

• Barry

@rossagrant - Thanks to your earlier forum post and warning, I stayed clear of EOTs and implemented a different method. It will instead recognise a subcr_cancel as an early end and mark the subscription as "pending_expire". At it's next transition stage (renewal for serial / move for finite, etc) it will check for a pending_expire and expire the subscription if required.

Which should give us the same functionality as checking for EOTs, but without having to rely on them being sent through.

• Barry

Ok gang - new update going live in 5 minutes

This version:
    fixes mu-plugins placement bug.
    allows administrator user to view all content on blog front end - overrides membership plugin
    adds option to assign a newly created user to a subscription - if you don't want paid subscriptions
    some code move around to solidify the class structure for gateways - makes it easier to add new ones.

Request for feedback on placing the plugin in mu-plugins
    This version, when placed in MU-plugins will, basically, turn all the blogs in an install into individual membership sites (each with their own control panel / etc).

I would love to hear how you would like the plugin to operate when placed in mu-plugins. As it does already? Or a single membership blog (main blog) but with rules that operate in relation to blog / user creation, etc...

• joshmac

@Barry, thanks this feature is definitely what I am looking for:

This version, when placed in MU-plugins will, basically, turn all the blogs in an install into individual membership sites (each with their own control panel / etc).

If there is interest for an alternate way in which it works in mu-plugins, would it be possible to create a switch that would turn this on or off and not override the feature above?

• Barry

Just to clarify for installation purposes -
    to put in mu-plugins:
    copy the memerbship.php file into the route of mu-plugins, and the membershincludes directory and it's contents to mu-plugins.

to put in plugins
    copy the membership directory and all it's contents (membership.php, etc...) to the plugins directory.

I've been slack with the installation notes, I try to get them complete today, but in the meantime, keep firing questions to this thread.

Cheers
    Barry

• Kirk Ward

I would love to hear how you would like the plugin to operate when placed in mu-plugins

I for one, want each of my bloggers to have the ability to offer their own membership pages or sections.

The use of a "shortcode" to implement the enrollment page will offer them the option of totally free content, or the inclusion of paid content.

I emphatically second the request for"drip" or time released content. I find that the use of a drip release method reduces the need to constantly provide new content, and encourages long-term membership.

As a side note regarding drip content, the two timing methods I have seen coders base this on is from date of subscription or from date of last item released. The most common method of protection is to classify each new release as a different category and then to release the category to the user according to the timing method.

Thanks a bunch Barry!

• Kirk Ward

Error

I placed the plugin and the folder in wp-content/plugins in order to test the ability of offering it as a premium plugin to supporters.

in plugins, make sure it's in it's own membership directory, so directory structure should be

plugins
    -> membership * main plugin file here
    -->membershipincludes
    ---> etc

I did, so that I had ...

/wp-content/plugins/membership.php and
    /wp-content/plugins/membershipincludes/

But, I still got the following errors ...

Warning: include_once(/home/kirkward/public_html/wp-content/plugins/membership/membershipincludes/classes/upgrade.php) [function.include-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/kirkward/public_html/wp-content/plugins/membershipincludes/classes/membershipadmin.php on line 82

Warning: include_once() [function.include]: Failed opening '/home/kirkward/public_html/wp-content/plugins/membership/membershipincludes/classes/upgrade.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/kirkward/public_html/wp-content/plugins/membershipincludes/classes/membershipadmin.php on line 82

Fatal error: Call to undefined function m_upgrade() in /home/kirkward/public_html/wp-content/plugins/membershipincludes/classes/membershipadmin.php on line 84

The files and paths are correct.

Could it be related to using a shared server? Maybe the script could use relative paths to avoid pasting the full path as I cannot access the lowest folder in the path (which is /home/ in the path shown). I think that is the HostGator master folder.

Cheers and felicitations (or some such)
    Kirk

• Erik

I am incredibly excited about this!

Problems with other Members Plugins
    I just finished a client site (on a wordpress mu sub blog) that has recurring subscription for a 'members only' area. I did this through the e- commerce 'goldcart' and the 'members only' upgrade module. I gotta say it really has aLOT of issues. especially with Mu. for instance, when a user gets invalid pwd on the inpage login widget, it bumps him to /wp-login.php.. but that has a customized logo for the main site (akward.. even the 'rebranding mu login image plugin' cant be set up on a per blog basis, so it doesnt help. It would be sweet if it could tho!).. So instincts plugin lacks error message reporting on the inpage login widget. which is lame, adding the login/out redirect to the themes functions helps make sidebar-login plugin work perfectly, but on restricted pages it uses instincts members only login widget, which blows. ... the plugin also registers each sale as two transactions.. so your 'end of year sales' is actually half the reported #......

Also, it adds the new member as a user to the entire mu system. this is lame for lots of reasons. I checked out the 'add users to a specific blog only' plugin (or whatever its called), that aaron made a while back. but as he even says 'it hasnt been updated', i tested it, it doesnt work with 2.9, so no dice..

Suggestions to Membership Plugin
    essentially the membership plugin needs to function cleanly on the blog and not reveal that it is a part of a wordpress mu system. this means error msg reporting on the login widgets, proper functioning redirects to avoid /wp-admin/. possibly a way to change your pwd and profile settings on the front side, inpage (avoiding /wp-admin/), an inpage 'forgot pwd' widget would be cool too..

Also, a way to have 'members' only register to that specific blog, & not the wordpress mu main install. OR a way to differentiate between the two user type on 'site admin -> users'.. If this was a choice, this would open a lot of doors.

How it should work in /mu-plugins/
    Well, it shouldnt do is duplicate supporter, pay to blog, or upgrades plugins, thats for sure..
    what it should do, is register all blog 'members' to the main mu install, and allow it to function as a network of pay membership websites. This would allow you to signup for membership at one, and get a "deal" of membership to all the blogs on the wordpress mu install.

Basicaly,
    I want the option to keep sub blog's 'members' from registering with the rest of my mu install.

recurring billing

a smooth login/logout process with ability to edit 'your profile', without ever seeing /wp-login/,/wp-admin/, /wp-login.php?action=lostpassword/, or anything else that would give away the MU-ness of the system...

Thanks for your consideration!
    -Erik

• James Farmer

BTW guys, can I just say great feedback / requests / ideas and all of that... this place is getting a bit of life into it :slight_smile:

I have an idea too about how we can help reward peeps for helping out / participating too, will float it later, but make sure you are subscribed to the RSS feed to hear about it:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/rss.php

I have couple of requests for more information re 'Drip feeding content':

Are you talking about essentially providing each new member with the same content after they have signed up on, say, a daily basis.

So user a signs up on Monday, on Tuesday he gets article 1, Wednesday article , Thursday article 3

User B signs up on Wednesday and on Thursday he gets article 1, Friday article b etc. etc. ?

If so... I think I have the perfect solution! All we need to do is work up a version of auto message as an element of this framework:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/automatic-follow-up-emails-for-new-users

Basically it will allow you to send out preset emails, linking to (or containing!) pages of content / videos etc. etc. to new users based on when they signed up.

Sound cool?

• Aaron

Dripping content means members can only access content that was created while they were a paid member. The idea being that someone can't signup for 1 month and cancel, then come back later and get everything published while they were canceled. They can only access content published while they were a current member.

This is mainly useful for sites that run on a pattern of releasing content regularly, like a blog based magazine subscription, weekly tutorial, weekly download, etc.

• Kirk Ward

I have couple of requests for more information re 'Drip feeding content':

Drip Release of content is the timed release of access after a member joins. It is based on either the date they joined or the date of the last release. Ability to access is considered release of content.

Example would be publishing (accessing) of a post, page or category on the "N"th day of an individuals membership, or the "N"th day after the last content, as opposed to the generally available publishing of a post or page on a specific date.

It is not an RSS feed.

The drip content release is the same for all members just as an an email series is based on their subscribe date, but it is access to posts, pages or categories, not merely the sending of emails (although email subscription MAY be included as a type of drip content.) Canceling membership, just as canceling a subscription, requires the restarting of the drip on rejoining or resubscribing, else a cancel and rejoin at a later date would defeat the income potential for the admin.

• dubya

I can see how James' idea would also work for "plr marketing" type member sites where the next big thing is always just around the corner and "it'll never be this cheap again". There may be interest from other members here.
    For me, a member is a member is a member. I like the way you do it here...12 months is cheaper than 4 x 3 months which is cheaper that 3 x 1 month. I hope you'll stay a while, but if you don't find your membership useful, we'll be happy to have you back anytime.

btw: the emails I recieved after signing up here were well done.

• wotacharlie

I’d like to be able to control the BuddyPress signup, so different membership levels have different xprofile fields visible in their profile

It would also be good if you could add pages to your site and assign content from a particular membership level to the page. For instance:

A page with site wide posts written by premium members(A way of featuring content people have paid to display in a prime spot of the site)

or

Add a page and output the members loop from paid members of a particular membership level (For a paid directory page) etc

• Barry

@bradpalmore - I understand what you mean, but in all honesty I wouldn't be marking individual posts as accessible / not accessible (though the facility is there). Instead, think about creating a series of categories (one for each level / maybe more) and then assign new posts to the category for the level of access you want. They are then automatically protected if the level uses the category protection rule.

Media - there is a new drop down on the edit media / upload form that allows you to set specific uploads as protected - these are then controllable on a level by level basis - I have an idea to allow specific uploads to be marked as belonging to a "group" and then protect the group as a whole / rather than the individual files. What do you think?

• bradpalmore

@Barry - I'm still getting my head around some of the features, so I may be a little slow on the uptake. Forgive me if I'm just not understanding.

As for media, I know you can mark it as protected, but you cannot assign it to a membership level without going back in to edit levels and give specific permissions to the file. At least I don't think you can.

I'm currently playing with this in an environment where I want to offer a description of an item and a static image preview on a post that can be searched and viewed by all visitors on the site. Within that post I want to have the full version (in this case, a powerpoint file) available for download to paying members. So the post would be unprotected and the download would be protected.

As for giving permission to categories, I've set up a few test posts and categories but they don't seem to automatically give access to new posts. I've created a 'visitor' membership level and have made that the default for all visitors not logged in or not subscribed that have access to posts, pages, and categories. I've selected the categories within the level setup to give them permission to all categories. I've also created a 'member' level that has access to posts, pages, categories, and downloads and have selected all the categories in the permissions list.

Now, if I create a new post to add new content and select categories that both groups have access to, the post title appears in the list of categories in the sidebar, in this case "test for auto permissions", but clicking on it results in a "page not found" notice. The same thing occurs if I log in as a member. I can see the post title, but the "page not found" error displays.

The only way I've found to give access to a post is to go back into the levels and specifically grant post permission level by level (visitor and member). Then the posts will display to the appropriate levels.

The same appears to be true with adding new media and categories and pages. I can't find a way to grant access to appropriate levels without going back in and editing the levels and manually assigning access.

If you want to see what I'm talking about, my VERY cheap test site is at http://theobloggers.net. Member login/password is member/member. The test post appears in the sidebar but can't be viewed.

• Barry

@bradpalmore

I'm currently playing with this in an environment where I want to offer a description of an item and a static image preview on a post that can be searched and viewed by all visitors on the site. Within that post I want to have the full version (in this case, a powerpoint file) available for download to paying members. So the post would be unprotected and the download would be protected.

You can also use the shortcode functionality for this - have two shortcodes (one for free , one for memebrs) if you place them both on the same post then, dependant on the membership status, the relevant one will display.

I'm not sure I'm following your description of your category usage. In all honesty, unless you really need to, I would forgo the usage of the Posts rules and only base the access levels for posts on categories, You can use them both together, but the outcome can be unpredictable.

Then control the content using the shortcodes (note if you set the No access message for the shortcodes in the options to be blank, then content a user can't access is simply removed - that way you can create quite cool functionality).

• Kirk Ward

Drip Content

Had a nice chat with Barry on the plugins tech support this morning and got his desription of how the plugin will allow a user to be moved or added to a new membership level after a period of time. This is the exact same method that is used by WishList member and allows us to create drip content merely by protecting each level as an increment in the drip feed.

It was interesting to see that a member can be added to several series of memberships simultaneously so that drip releases on different schedules are accommodated. For example, on my site, newsletters can be released monthly, workbooks every two weeks and special reports each week, all in one membership.

Flexible and fantastic so far.

I'm really looking forward to the documentation and rolling this out as a premium plugin for supporters.

• James Farmer

@rnz and others - the beautiful thing about this plugin is that you can enclose whatever you want in shortcodes to make it members only.

So, I'm sure that gravity drops something into a post or page... just wrap it in them and you'll be good... and of course there are multiple different shortcodes for different levels!

@wotacharlie nice avatar :slight_smile: BuddyPress stuff is on the way - although I can't tell you whether or not it does exactly what you are after.

@Kirk - I was revisiting my other post and realized that it might be easier just to build in membership integration to automatic followup messages (automessages) so that you can set messages for when a user joins and when they become an active member... but Barry will have a better idea about how this might work.... maybe it's easier to just have an inbuilt automessage feature for membership (or a component to the framework).

• Kirk Ward

it might be easier just to build in membership integration to automatic followup messages (automessages) so that you can set messages for when a user joins and when they become an active member

@James - I wasn't considering auto messages as "drip" content. Barry mentioned that a member at one protected level could be promoted to another protected level after a particular lapse in time. If the new content becomes available after a particular elapsed time, then I have "drip" content. Doing this several times will meet the drip content feature needs. Barry mentioned he may make it easier, but the other membership plugins I am familiar with (Wishlist Member, MicroMembership, MemberWing) all work this same way.

Adding the automessage to each level will be a big plus, but that can be done with an outside autoresponder as far as I am concerned.

• Kirk Ward

if you can put down a description about how you would envisage the integration working

@Barry - Most all autoresponders take either a POST or an email subscription. The simplest is a mail() function sending an email with the "from" address containing the subscribers name and email address. The subject could simply be "Subscribe"

In a scenario like that, all we would need is an input box to name the autoresponder campaign, which is then used as the "to" email address in the mail() function.

Using the POST function would require an input box that took PHP code for the action, the campaign series and other variables. And, may lead the system open to code injection (even though it might only be done by the administrator.) I can supply a sample POST form for a major autoresponder script, (AutoResposePlus) or a copy of the user manual if you wish that.

However, I think the email method is the simplest and safest integration method.

• exberry

I second @georgef's desire to connect to an autoresponder like AWeber because I need to handle more subscribers that I think can be done inside WPMU.

I was thinking of moving from AWeber to Mailchimp because you guys have a Mailchimp plugin, but @georgef's comment about Mailchimp canceling his account has pretty much killed that idea.

How about TrafficWave since they have a lower cost than AWeber?

I plan to use your Membership plugin no matter what features you finally end up with. You are addressing the last fundamental feature I need for my website.

• Kirk Ward

it will show the most recent 25 pages.

I (for one) would like to see more. For example, my particular business model uses both posts and pages as drip content, and I wind up with a gazillion of each.

Where is the page load you were concerned about? The admin or the content?

Any chance this can be modified in some way so all pages are available to choose from?

I second @georgef's desire to connect to an autoresponder like AWeber

Does Aweber allow email registrations, or do they require that their form code be embedded?

• georgef

@Barry - Aweber:

Been digging through some information and found a few posts / info that might be helpful.

The general integration process seems to work with Aweber's Email Parser. Another membership plugin uses the Paypal Parser and separate list ids for which member level the member decides to purchase.

Aweber has a feature that will allow users to unsubscribe and subscribe members when they upgrade or downgrade their membership level.

Here are a few posts that I found on Awebers site with integration from other membership plugins and payment gateways:

http://www.aweber.com/faq/questions/545/How+Do+I+Integrate+Extreme+Member+with+AWeber%3F

http://www.aweber.com/faq/questions/236/How+Do+I+Integrate+2Checkout+With+AWeber%3F

http://www.aweber.com/faq/questions/237/How+Do+I+Integrate+1ShoppingCart+With+AWeber%3F

http://www.aweber.com/faq/questions/234/How+Do+I+Integrate+PayPal+With+AWeber%3F

hope that helps.

• James Farmer

RE; Page breaks... yeh... we turned them off.

They were kinda annoying usage wise... all old page/2 urls etc. should redirect back to original threads though.

Also, I'm sure we can start a new thread on this soon :slight_smile:

RE: Aweber / mailchimp - To be honest Mailchimp have been great for us... but we do have a 400k - 450k account so give them quite a lot of money.

The Aweber integration looks nice though... although if I remember right they are also quite a bit more expensive than the chimp (and come with less amusing backend stuff :slight_smile:

• georgef

@James

Yes, I'm sure they're happy with that! The guys from Mailchimp pointed out to me that it states in there terms and conditions that they do not allow permit anyone in affiliate marketing, network marketing, etc.

So anyone involved in some form of marketing run the same risk of getting there accounts shut down like I did.

Aweber is definitely less amusing, but after using mailchimp for 6 months I'd say Aweber is much more powerful for controlling behavior in your list and moving people from free member to customer to elite member etc..

• Kirk Ward

we do have a 400k - 450k account so give them quite a lot of money.

The Aweber integration looks nice though... although if I remember right they are also quite a bit more expensive than the chimp (and come with less amusing backend stuff :slight_smile:

I looked at MailChimp and the calculations looked to me like it would wind up costing a lot more if the user had a large list. I also looked at their affiliate prograM it seemed they only have a one-time payment for new clients, so sending them referrals wasn't in my interest.

The guys from Mailchimp pointed out to me that it states in there terms and conditions that they do not allow permit anyone in affiliate marketing, network marketing, etc.

Missed the TOS prohibiting internet marketing, which when interpreted strictly would mean that even WPMUDEV could lose it's account, as a membership site and/or selling services on the internet "could" be construed as internet marketing.

The one item I have heard that Aweber is very strict about is requiring double optin and making sure they capture the IP of the subscriber through their form

Aweber is much more powerful for controlling behavior in your list and moving people from free member to customer to elite member etc.

That is a very important feature. I use it with my AutoResponsePlus, so please don't forget to integrate self-hosted scripts.

Kirk

• James Farmer

Thanks for that guys, it's a really interesting discussion.

I'm keen to figure out how we can better use mail with WPMU DEV - so maybe we should be taking a look at this too!

I'm hoping that having an affiliate program doesn't mean that you can't use Chimp... but you never know, your experience with aweber sounds good and lists are easily exportable.

Is the general conclusion here that the email side of membership sites is better handled by third party mailing lists?

If so I think we should add in some work on that!

• georgef

I'm hoping that having an affiliate program doesn't mean that you can't use Chimp... but you never know, your experience with aweber sounds good and lists are easily exportable.

Honestly I think that you guys are more than fine.

I tried to investigate what triggered it, but they were adamant that my keywords could ruin there reputation with other ISP's..

I also had a test campaign rss to email that never had a unsubscribe link. I never thought anything of it as I never used it, so not sure if that contributed to it. I think so, but not according to them.

Is the general conclusion here that the email side of membership sites is better handled by third party mailing lists?

Definitely so as then you can categorize / segment your members into different categories.

Not good if your paying members still receive marketing emails to invite them to your membership if they've already upgraded.

And, if members drop out / downgrade, it's good to have them moved into that list as well.

Plus monitoring who opens emails to resend etc.

• strobech

Great plugin, great thread (no page breaks, please!)

We are about to set up a university multiuser environment with BuddyPress added - as soon as WP 3.0 launches.

I would like to limit blog/site creation to staff, so that students and external visitors can become members and create profiles/groups, but no blogs/sites. Does the Membership-plugin support such a distinction? (User creation via LDAP).

• Kirk Ward

Definitely so as then you can categorize / segment your members into different categories.

Agreed. Along with the ability to promote/demote to lists. ex: User buys "B," they are added to list "B" and dropped from list "A, while maybe at the same time added to list "C" or "D," according to the needs of the list owner.

lists are easily exportable

Aweber will require that every one you import re-subscribe, which is why I use a self hosted system. A bit more flexible in maintaining backups of my list in the event a server (or if I was using them, Aweber) goes down.

• James Farmer

Settings > Discussion should allow you to ensure they register before they can comment :slight_smile:

I'm not sure how hard it'd be to extend the comments rule to allow them to view but not comment... although I do know that we're hoping to get a 1.0 version of this plugin out of the door for early next week, so we won't be able to fit in a new feature like this just yet...

Maybe someone has a hack idea?

• Barry

@lohudblog
    You can set a "strangers" membership level in the plugins options.
    Simply (don't you love that word) create a membership level with the rules that you want a non member to have and activate it. Then pop over to the membership options page and set that level as the stranger level.

People who turn up at your site and are not registered or logged in wick now be controlled by that levels rules.

• lohudblog

Hey Barry,
    I didn't see any rules that fit what I want. Seems like you can only either read comments or not. No rule for being able to read comments and have to register to actually comment. Basically all or nothing. On another topic, Do you guys have any insight on how to completely customize the wordpress login experience? I want a custom login screen and I want to keep people out completely out of the dashboard, but the native reg system keeps sending people to all kinds of wordpress dashboard screens. I'm digging through the core code now, but if you guys have any links or shortcuts, I'd appreciate it.

• Barry

Hi @lohudblog
    No, the default comments rule is set to hide all the comments and the reply box as well.

It can be simply changed by editing the rule (or creating a new rule specifically for this purpose, so you have the option of both).

To edit the rule, you need to open up the default.rules.php file (it's in the membershipincludes/includes directory). Scroll down to line 554 and change it from:
    add_filter( 'comments_array', array(&$this, 'hide_comments'), 99, 2 );

to
    //add_filter( 'comments_array', array(&$this, 'hide_comments'), 99, 2 );

Save it and re-upload and then the comments thread will be visible, but the form will still be hidden.

To create your own rule is slightly more complicated, but if you look through that file you should be able to get a grasp of how rules are created (if you are ok with php and/or classes and inheritance).

I hope to be able to start putting together little add-on packages which define new rules, so the more ideas / suggestions for them we get, the more we can implement.

• Barry

Might be worth starting a new thread for that so it doesn't get lost here. The membership plugin creates its own registration form, but uses the native WP functions to create the user after that. It doesn't do anything to control access to the admin area / dashboard though.

I'm sure something is available that will do that, but other forum members may be able to point you in the right direction, as off the top of my head I can't pinpoint one.

Rgds
    Barry

• Peter Fletcher

In the email I received from WPMU announcing this plugin it stated:

...multiple membership sites on a WPMU / WordPress MultiSite install - so any user of your site can have their own membership site, combine with Supporter to make this a feature they pay for - or you could run dozens of membership sites yourself.

I notice in one of the posts above that integration is still not supported. Has this changed? If so is there some reading someone could direct me to?

Great work on this plugin. Lots of potential.

Thanks

Peter