Membership Plugin carshed all the admin functions lost control of site

The membership levels messed up the sites Administration users access to admin dash board and menus. Uninstalling the pugin did not restore fucntions. Need support to resolve this.

Was to have simple access
public
customers to certain documents and downloads
admin

• djbrody

Thank you for your reply...

Even after removing the plugin which I had to do manually I still cannot get access to admin menu.

I have re-installed the plugin back to where it once was and still cannot see lefthand side admin menu. This is a client site with to much content to recreate after the membership plugin was installed to start over.

I am attaching the Screen shot setup

Add-ons active
    Default Admin Rules by Barry (Incsub) Main admin side rules
    default.admin.rules.php Active
    Free subscriptions gateway by Barry (Incsub)
    gateway.freesubscriptions.php Active
    Integrated WP Roles by Barry (Incsub) Allows members to be assigned different roles based on
    their levels integrated.wproles.php Active

• aecnu

Greetings djbrody,

Just checking if this issue was eventually resolved in another thread? Or by
    yourself separately to us? Or by us over email with you? Or using our live
    support?

If so, no need to reply, that's great news.

If not, or you have any more questions related to this thread, please feel free
    to post them below including any new symptoms or errors and tick the 'Mark as
    Not Resolved (re-open)' box below the post area (or else we'll miss it!)

Otherwise, happy days, glad you got it sorted :slight_smile:

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev member!

Cheers, Joe :slight_smile:

• aecnu

Greetings iBusinessLogic,

Sorry to hear that you are having trouble with this also.

You are absolutely correct the kind thing to do is to share the fix if they have indeed found out what was troubling them.

This is certainly not a common occurrence regarding the Membership plugin and therefore probably not a blanket solution.

Any chance you have initiated standard troubleshooting protocol?

Go into full blown trouble shooting mode because it appears there may be some conflict here and one way to find out conclusively.

Standard plugin trouble shooting protocol - first to switch to the Twenty Eleven theme just long enough to check for the problem - if the problem still exists next involves deactivating all plugins except the plugin in question and then see if the issue still exists.

If it does not, then you want to activate plugins one at a time testing in between to see if the issue returns. Even when you find one plugin, it may be in your interest to deactivate the problem plugin and continue testing the rest of the plugins to insure no others are also conflicting. You will know the conflict when the issue returns and which plugin(s) you activated that cause the issue.

Please advise if there are any plugin conflicts and if so what the plugins are that are conflicting.

Cheers, Joe

• iBusinessLogic

I can confirm that we have gone through all troubleshooting steps to eliminate the possibility that this is a plugin conflict, up to and including removing the entire plugin folder and all contents without any change in the status of my Admin menus. We have created a new Admin user via PHPmyadmin and we have changed to the 2010 and 2011 themes without success.

Everything was working fine on a development server space and also after transferring to the client server and domain. Users were added via the Wordpress User menu on Friday and then again on Saturday Morning. All was well the last time I was in the admin Saturday. Overnight we lost the admin access to plugin installation, user menu, theme installation, updates, export menu and widgets.

Thanks for your help Joe, I am stumped as are the support team I called at Host Gator thinking it was security issue. They spent 45 minutes on this with several levels of tech support and determined that it was the membership premium plugin causing the issue.

Please advise me on what to do next.

• iBusinessLogic

I can confirm that we have gone through all troubleshooting steps to eliminate the possibility that this is a plugin conflict, up to and including removing the entire plugin folder and all contents without any change in the status of my Admin menus. We have created a new Admin user via PHPmyadmin and we have changed to the 2010 and 2011 themes without success.

Everything was working fine on a development server space and also after transferring to the client server and domain. Users were added via the Wordpress User menu on Friday and then again on Saturday Morning. All was well the last time I was in the admin Saturday. Overnight we lost the admin access to plugin installation, user menu, theme installation, updates, export menu and widgets.

Thanks for your help Joe, I am stumped as are the support team I called at Host Gator thinking it was security issue. They spent 45 minutes on this with several levels of tech support and determined that it was the membership premium plugin causing the issue.

Please advise me on what to do next.

• iBusinessLogic

Timothy sent me this suggestion before closing another thread that pertained to this issue:

Can you try running a repair please:

/wp-admin/maint/repair.php

When you say no access, is it just the menu items that are missing?

What happens if you visit:

/wp-admin/plugins.php

Let me know what happens then.

Take care.

I ran the /wp-admin/maint/repair.php and had no changes in access. To answer his question (and I assume yours as well) , WHen I say no access, I mean that the menu items are missing in Admin.

• aecnu

Sir please advise why you keep double posting in this thread?

Do you have any idea why this phenomenon is happening?

Forward -->

I would sincerely like to figure out the few of you whom have had this issue if you all have had host gator as your host.

We ourselves (AECNU not WPMU Dev) in May 2012 dumped the last of our servers we had co-located at The Planet (A.K.A Host Gator) because of security breaches obvious such as directory browsing and more.

Our servers in Columbus Ohio and Seattle Washington have never had any kind of breach such as those we experienced with our server at host gator.

These previous servers we dumped at HG are not VPS accounts but Dedicated Servers configured at Host Gator with their insistence on having root access. (In hosting we are indeed competitors)

Now back to the issue at hand, once you had deactivated or removed the Membership plugin and its related databases if not a hack then everything would/should return to normal.

The Membership plugin database entries are easy to spot with their specific table prefix wp_m_

I am guessing that prior to each major update you folks backed up your hosting account? If so please restore the backup to the most recent prior to the incident.

Once the plugin has been deleted and its tables too it is as if Membership never existed on the WordPress installation.

Therefore if it is indeed the culprit, once these items have been removed there should be no symptoms.

You should also FTP into your WordPress installation and compare all the WordPress core file sizes and dates to see if there have indeed been any "unauthorized" file changes i.e. file dates not matching original upload date, files not matching core file size not including htaccess and wp-config.php

Please advise if you have any of these symptoms of a breach.

Cheers, Joe

• iBusinessLogic

The double post was your system hanging up and then giving me an error message saying I was going too fast.

You can slam Host Gator all you want but I have been with them for over 5 years and they have been the best hosting company I have ever dealt with. They spent over 45 minutes on the phone with me on this issue, working on a Wordpress issue , which is really not a Hosting Companies support problem, but they did it anyway. I approached them with the security (hack) question on this problem from the get go and they checked everything and found no security problems (in the past they have found breaches in other installations of Wordpress that I have worked on and have helped me resolve them, so I know they do scan for problems and work with their customers to resolve any breaches or hacks).

So now we are at a "he said", "she said" situation with the customer in the middle. I really dislike when developers blame the host and the host blames the developers, when in the end the customer gets no resolution to the issue.

So, now I am stuck with the plan of taking my customers website offline and rebuilding from scratch. Will I use your premium membership plugin? I really dont know, but as far as I can see, Host Gator has given me more support for less money on more occasions that this organization has.

By the way, your reply above is very snarky and really not customer service oriented Joe. I am sorry if I am attempting to get an answer to my problem with too many posts, but as far as I can see, there were no answers provided for the other posters in the three threads that mention this same exact issue with membership premium. Not one solution provided. And now you are going to attack my host? Cmon, really ?

Cheers ...

• aecnu

By the way, your reply above is very snarky and really not customer service oriented Joe.

I am sorry to hear that you felt I was being snarky when in essence I was telling the truth from my perspective and experience, just as you are doing and I respect that.

I admit during that time I was still dealing with another one of their security breaches and still PO'ed over it. Though it is clearly over now - I ended up losing only two clients in that fiasco.

So now we are at a "he said", "she said" situation with the customer in the middle. I really dislike when developers blame the host and the host blames the developers, when in the end the customer gets no resolution to the issue.

I am indeed not playing the blame game and going to point the finger at anyone unless they indeed had a security breach - if not then not.

Lets dig in some more here and see what we can find.

I have included a zipped file below that you can download, extract, and upload to the root of your domain.

Once you have uploaded it you would want to call it up in your browser using something like http://yourdomain.com/phpinfo.php

The numbers we are concerned with are those shown for memory_limit and max_execution_time

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• Kimberly

Hi!

Just checking in :slight_smile:

I'm guessing that because we haven't heard back from you that you've got your issue worked out or that we have reached the end of our convo here. If you are still having problems or need any other answers on this particular topic please feel free to come back to this thread at anytime. Just be sure to mark it Not Resolved so we don't miss it!

This ticket is only being Resolved due to lack of activity. It is by no means an action to avoid, brush off or minimize your issue. We are ready and here if you want to re-open at any time and I apologize in advance for any lack of communication if this ticket is being closed in error.

Thanks for being part of the WPMU DEV Community!

Best,
    Kimberly

• iBusinessLogic

Kimberly,

Who knows if the issue has been resolved? Certainly not I, as I was run off by your compatriot for simply asking for help and I was greeted with accusation and ridiculous suppositions that my issue was a problem with the hosting company that I have used for Wordpress websites , including Buddypress and Multi-site development for over 6 years without issue.

I was given no suggestions for where to look, how to diagnose, what to troubleshoot, or offered any support whatsoever concerning your product. And I have been a paying member here for some time.

What did I do?

I scrapped the entire installation and started over, and I did not install your membership plugin - why would I when I can expect no support if this issue rares its ugly head again? As it did for the originator of this post, and all of the other post originators that I followed , asking the same question about the same issue.

Do I sound upset?

Yes, frankly I am....

Does it seem to matter?

No, I do not believe it does.

Will I promote this product, or your customer service as I have in the past?

Questionable.

Do I think that Joe gives a Marsupials rear end? Not Really...

Yet, the topic has been resolved, when not one question asked by myself or the originator of this post has been answered with a straight or helpful reply, since JANUARY.

Party ON!

• Erik

Hi, I noticed this phenomenon too, And I'm sorry that you have given up. But for others let me shed some light here..

In the last version of the plugin, blog admins were not automatically added as membership admins; meaning that my admins couldnt see protected content. SO what I did was manually add an access level via the 'move' option to the admin. Well, that worked, sort of, but to be expected. The admin was now a member and could see protected content, but his user roles was moved down to subscriber.

Meaning, that when you move an admin to a 'member access level' their wp user role will change accordingly. SO essentially adding an access level to an admin will downgrade their account and this will persist after removal of the plugin as the user role meta is wordpress native.. Make sense?

Now (to me) this is moot because in the current version of membership plugin, admins are automatically set as membership admins and can see protected content by default, thus negating my need to add an access level to the admin.

BUT for you what I suggest is that you check your users user role level, I wouldn't be surprised to see that they were set as 'subscriber'. To fix this, modify the users role back to its previous setting via the 'dashboard'->'users'->'edit users' page, you can do this via phpmyadmin aswell.
    AAAAnnnnnd that's it..

Sorry to see your disappointment with this plugin, in my opinion it really is the best out there. I'm fairly certain you can mark this resolved.
    -E

• Kimberly

@Erik thank you for your generous input here.

@iBusinessLogic I am very sorry you are so upset. If there is any particular issue I can help you to resolve please let me know. If you are just venting, then I completely understand that.

We do fall short at times. We are subject to a host of individual problems each day on hundreds of different topics and may draw our own conclusions at times, which we are working hard to avoid doing in the future.

Many thanks for your patronage, we sincerely appreciate your presence here in the Community and the experience you bring to the proverbial table. :slight_smile:

Best

Kimberly

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.