Membership Plugin: Disables Email Activation?

I'm wondering if the membership plugin disables the activation registration email when people sign up to a BuddyPress site? When someone registers on the site no activation emails are being sent.

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya ukcpiweb,

First off, welcome to WPMU DEV! :smiley:

The membership plugin does handle user registration to the site in place of the default WordPress/BuddyPress mechanism, but I believe regular emails should still be sent. Can you try deactivating and see if emails are sent through without the plugin? If they're still not, we might be looking at a server setup issue.

Let us know. I'll also ask a couple developers to come by here and give some insight as well.

Thanks!

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

The problem with requiring user account activation is that, with this enabled, a user account isn't actually created until the activation link is clicked in the email - but before that we have to display a payment page linked to the users account (which doesn't exist because the user hasn't yet clicked on the link yet).

It adds in a huge level of complexity that isn't needed when people are completing payment to sign up to a site (you're less likely to get spam accounts when a payment has to be made).

• jozwikjp
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Hi Barry,
    Question, is it possible to have activation required on the main site but then not have it required on membership sites?

For example we were not using the membership plugin on our main site we would like to let our supporters use the plugin. But at the same time I don't know if we want to disable activation globally.

Thank you
    Joe

• jozwikjp
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Hi Barry,
    testing the new version 1.1

Question.

If the site owner was creating a free membership level.
    Could it just prompt a message to check your email to complete the activation process.

It just seems like it could cause a nasty splog problem.

Does the membership records have to be inserted for the user into the usermeta table at signup?
    Or is there some other records that have to be created that could not be achieved with the activation?

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.