Membership Plugin Does Not Allow Previous Members To Rejoin

This is a very serious issue with the Membership plugin. If I can't get it fixed I will have to go through the daunting task of switching all of my members to a different membership program.

Once a members information is in the system, and they either do not complete the sign up or they cancel their membership, they are unable to join at a later date or rejoin.

The system rejects them by saying that their e-mail address is already in use. They are unable to sign in with their user name and password, as I was told they could do, so they cannot get to the membership choices and payment page.

This is a large and active membership site with people trying to join every day. It is extremely frustrating and I know many people do not even bother to contact me, they just figure the site does not work.

I am using the Business Profile child theme with BuddyPress and Membership plugins. I use recurring billing with the 2Checkout gateway.

Please advise what changes I need to do to allow partial sign ups or previous members who have cancelled to join again.

Thanks,

JoAnn

• JoAnn

Here is an e-mail I just received from another member who is unable to sign up. She did a partial sign up, but is now unable to reach a page where she can pay for her membership.

I'm very interested in joining the site but all of these technical difficulties in just trying to sign-up for it are making me question if the site is going to be a valuable tool or not.
    I hope we can get this resolved soon.

Thanks for your help!

This is a serious problem. I hope someone can help me.

Thanks,

JoAnn

• JoAnn

Okay, I have been working on this for days with a bit of progress.

First, as per another topic, I deactivated the BuddyPress registration in the Network settings. I had done this before but it must revert back to default with updates.

Second, I changed my 'stranger' settings to allow strangers (non paid members) to see the 'My Account' page.

But, I am still stumped. A partial sign up, without completing the payment page, is put in the membership data base and shows up as a user, but they are not activated. So, if they try to sign in they get an error message that their account is not activated.

If they try to re register with the same info the just get looped back to the page to put in their info.

What settings do I need to change to allow members who have only partially signed up or who have cancelled and want to join again to do it easily?

Thanks,

JoAnn

• JoAnn

Hey Tim,

It's great to 'see' you again!

And, as always, you have solutions to my problems.

I did as you advised, but, for anyone else out there working with the Membership plugin, it is just not that user friendly for the members, or at least I don't know how to set it up so rejoining would be more clear.

It would be nice if the member who wishes to rejoin would be able to sign in and automatically be redirected to the accounts page where they could renew. Right now, when they sign in they go to the home page with limited access.

If you have a way to do that, that would be perfect.

What I have done is add a menu tab for 'strangers' that goes to 'My Account' page.

I also set up a communication e-mail that is sent to all members 3 days before their subscription expires or is up for renewal. It reminds the recurring billing members that their account will be automatically charged and it has instructions for those members who signed up for monthly only with no recurring billing that they can sign up for another month by signing in and clicking the 'My Account' tab and choosing a membership plan.

This is the best way I can think of to do it now, but I just wish it was a little easier or a at least addressed in the membership users manual.

NOW...Tim, if you can tell me how to set it up for members to unsubscribe my life will be perfect.

Happy Holidays,

JoAnn

• Timothy Bowers

Wow it's been hectic over the last two weeks. (The wife and I are going through IVF again for a second child :slight_smile:.

It would be nice if the member who wishes to rejoin would be able to sign in and automatically be redirected to the accounts page where they could renew. Right now, when they sign in they go to the home page with limited access.

What about just redirecting everyone on login so they go to their accounts page:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/login-redirect/

Then it means they don't have to fumble around trying to find where they can renew again.

Would that help?

You could still have a tab, call it accounts or similar. Depending on how you've done it, you could include the accounts link in membership shortcodes so it displays only when they are logged in.

Or as another option you could alter the theme to have two WordPress Menus. One which appears when logged out and one which appears when logged in.

It would take a little coding but isn't so complicated.

The idea there would be that the Accounts link only shows when logged in.

Or..... Sorry for all the potentials here... but you could something in the header like:

if ( is_user_logged_in() ) { DO ACCOUNT HTML LINK }

Then it only shows for anyone logged in.

NOW...Tim, if you can tell me how to set it up for members to unsubscribe my life will be perfect.

To unsubscribe they should be able to do that from their accounts page (where they upgrade/downgrade), is that not happening?

Take care.

• JoAnn

Hey Tim,

Good luck with the IVF, I have friends who have also gone through the process. I know it's easier said than done, but just help your wife to relax, It truly helps the implantation.

The unsubscribe is not working and I don't know why and I'm not sure how to test it. I get e-mails all the time from members who say they have 'unsubscribed' but were billed again. I use 2Checkout as my gateway.

I really want to make things easy for my members (and me). Right now I just have an auto e-mail sent 3 days before their subscription runs out and I tell them to contact me if they want to cancel. But this is a big pain so any direction for setting that up or testing it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

JoAnn

• Timothy Bowers

Hey again.

Good luck with the IVF, I have friends who have also gone through the process. I know it's easier said than done, but just help your wife to relax, It truly helps the implantation.

Ohh she relaxes! :slight_smile:

We had our first (Daughter) last year, also from IVF so hoping this one will be just as successful! :slight_smile:

The unsubscribe is not working and I don't know why and I'm not sure how to test it. I get e-mails all the time from members who say they have 'unsubscribed' but were billed again. I use 2Checkout as my gateway.

A way to test it would be setting up a hidden one, signing up and unsubscribing again.

If I'm honest and this is no discredit to the masses but... well we log all cancelled subscriptions here on DEV for our members with a simple function they click cancel it makes a database log, sends a command to PP and triggers an email. Nothing complex at all.

The number one excuse when they come at us angry is that they cancelled yet can't provide the cancellation email we send nor is there a record on their account and when we point out they can cancel in Paypal they often tell us they have....

I'm guess I'm saying that some may just have forgotten to cancel and think a refund will be easier if they blame you.

That said, it could be an issue and the only way to know will be to run a test.

Are there any which do get cancelled correctly?

I know that Cole is close to releasing a new rewrite of the 2CO gateway as well. Not sure of the ETA just yet, one of his family are real ill and so he's had to take a few days off.

Take care.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.