Membership plugin - don't see the appropiate menu in dashboard

Hi,

I've got WP 3.2.1 & BP 1.5.1. Installed and activated the Membership plugin and made the change in the line 23 of membership/membershipincludes/includes/membership-config.php (which to me is a weird step). As admin, I don't see the menus that I'm supposed to see. For instance, I don't see Membership -> Edit Levels. I attach a snapshot.

Cheers,
Jordi

• ElCaganer

Well, that makes a difference! Very clearly written. Thanks.

Just two minor portions of the guide that seem to be old:
    - snapshot in "In order to do this you should complete the following two steps -> step 2"
    - text: "The following rules can be activated via built-in plugins at Membership > Edit Plugins:"

I configured it and got it working but for two questions:
    - how to hide a specific widget to a certain access level? (I mean sidebar widget, not user dashboard widget)
    - the 'More tag' rule is interesting, but the BP default theme (mine) don't make excerpts of the posts, so there are no "Read more" tags. Can you set them with any other plugin?

Cheers,
    Jordi

• DavidM

Hiya Jordi,

Many thanks for your feedback on the instructions. We've just updated them with those fixes and I'll be sending some reputation points your way for the helpful information!

As for widgets, there's a couple ways to go about that. Membership provides widgets via the "Membership Widget" Add-on at Membership > Add-ons (we'll work on getting the instructions updated with that too). Activating that will provide you with a Membership Level Text widget and a Membership Subscription Text widget.

Those both function just like the regular WordPress text widget but they will only show depending on the Access Level or Subscription you've specified for them.

Alternatively, you could use a plugin like Widget Logic and use any of the Membership conditional functions to show or hide any of your existing widgets based on those conditions.

There's a list of those conditional functions in the following thread.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/conditionals-for-member-levels

I just read regarding the More tag in BuddyPress and I really wouldn't know of a workaround for that one. I found a bug report on it for BuddyPress but in testing the More tag on a site I'm seeing that it doesn't work in the activity stream.

I'm also not aware of any plugins that can work around that. Strange one really, I didn't know about it until you mentioned it. And unfortunately I don't think there's a way around it until it's included in the BP core.

Cheers,
    David

• ElCaganer

I've installed Widget Logic, but don't know what conditional function I need to use.

What I want is simply to hide a specific widget to "strangers". I've just set one basic access level to use for "strangers" according to the guide. Its level_ID is 1. I haven't created any other access levels. Worth mentioning too that I've got WP 3.2.1 and this plugin is stated as compatible up to WP 3.1.4, although 44/47 users report it to be working for WP 3.2.1.

So, in the field "Widget logic" of that widget, I've tried the conditional function current_user_is_member() without success. It hides it from everybody.

I've also tried current_user_on_level($1) (just for testing purposes, because it would naturally provide the opposite result: "show the widget only to strangers"). I get the error Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_LNUMBER, expecting T_VARIABLE or '$' in /homepages/29/d323556677/htdocs/CEEMBA/wp-content/plugins/widget-logic/widget_logic.php(161) : eval()'d code on line 1

I suppose I should use something like is_not_current_user_on_level($1) (just guessing), but I don't know how this should be built. What should be the proper function? Or do you think the concern is the incompatibility of the Widget Login plugin and so nothing to do?

Your first alternative would not be suitable, because the widget to hide is not a text one, it's the one belonging to the Ajax Event Calendar plugin. And regarding More tag, thanks anyway.

Cheers,
    Jordi

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.