Membership plugin - don't seem to work properly

Hi, I have WP 3.2.1 & BP 1.5.1. Not Multisite.

I installed the plugin, activated it and configured one access level for strangers. I called it "Visitantes" and configured it to block one page (see snapshot) and one post categories for them. Then I created a page called "Contenido reservado" where to redirect unauthorized users. And then I configured the options as you can see in two more snapshots attached. Basically, I assigned strangers to "Visitantes". Nothing else, no other access levels, no paid content, no subscription plans...

When I enable the pluggin, only I can access that page and see those posts. Not registered users cannot access them, so this is OK. But the problem is that, besides me, any other registered user cannot access them either. This includes one admin (same level as myself), authors and suscriptors.

Just in case, I have User Role Editor plugin activated, but have used it only to tweak rights for suscriptors and authors regarding events of Ajax Event Calendar plugin.

Thx for helping.

Cheers,
Jordi

• ElCaganer

OK, I understand, thanks. However, I'm still confused in some things:

1) "The plugin isn't running when you visit pages as an admin user" -->
    Then why another user, who is admin as I am, cannot see the page either? Maybe only running for the admin having installed it?

2) "What membership level, subscription do these other users have? If they aren't assigned a level or subscription then they are treated as strangers" -->
    So I need to create a new access level, let's say "Members" to allow them see all, right? Several doubts here:

2a) I do not want to manually assign every new registered user to this new "Member" level, so then how to do it? According to the instructions, I could use the Integrated WP Roles Add-on and assign a specific role to this level, right? But then I only can assign one level. My "members" include admins, editors, authors, contributors and subscribers. So do I have to create five access levels, one for each (ie "Members - subscribers" level), and all five with the same rules?

2b) Side comment: when I assign a role to an access level, it does not apply it to existing users. Then, I have to manually edit them. I have few users, so no problem, but if you have a lot of users, it can be a pain. I know you have the batch editing functionality, but because you have to set five access levels (do you? I feel I am missing something in question 2a...), then you need to look for the subscribers to assign them to "Members - subscribers" level, and so on, so cannot do it in just two clicks...

2c) And then what rules to apply to those five "Members" levels? I want them to see everything. I tried to allow them see just the page I had blocked for strangers, but then the members can't access the rest of the content. And now I've tried no rules (no positive, no negative) for "Members" and it seems to work. Is this the proper setting?

2d) And just curiosity: what's the point of setting a level for strangers and then need to also set for members? Wouldn't it be better to make the plugin work in a default mode for any of either case (for instance, allow logged-in users see all content by default)?

Cheers,
    Jordi

• Barry

Then why another user, who is admin as I am, cannot see the page either? Maybe only running for the admin having installed it?

Are they a membership admin user? i.e. Can they see the membership admin menus when they are logged in?

So I need to create a new access level, let's say "Members" to allow them see all, right?

For existing users, yes.

I do not want to manually assign every new registered user to this new "Member" level, so then how to do it?

They signup using the membership registration form, and either pick a subscription, or are assigned one automatically (which is a setting in your options).

when I assign a role to an access level, it does not apply it to existing users.

Levels control roles, not the other way around. When a user is added to a level with an associated role, they are moved to that role. When they leave the level they are removed from that role and/or added to the exit role.

And just curiosity: what's the point of setting a level for strangers and then need to also set for members?

You are confusing members and users. A person can be a user but not a member of your site, therefore those without levels or subscriptions are treated as strangers. Members are generally those people who have signed up and selected a subscription (paid or free) to access content on your site. Once you have the plugin set up and have set it so that all registration goes via the membership plugin, then you will only have "members" and "users" whose membership has expired (who effectively become strangers again).

• ElCaganer

Many thanks for your quick answers.

But now I HAVE A HUGE PROBLEM: the other admin and I have no longer admin rights to the site. Nobody has.

My steps:

1. Access Levels menu--> Created acces level "Members"
    2. Subscription Plans menu --> Created subscription plan "Members" and assigned the level "Members" to this subscription plan "Members". Set Mode as "indefinite".
    3. All Members menu --> Assigned all registered users (including admins like myself) to subscription plan "Members". Because every user shows "Expiraton 2011-11-3" (tomorrow) and I don't want them to get accessing concerns or messages tomorrow, then I go back to...
    4. Subscription Plans menu --> and changed "Period" 1 day to 365 years
    5. All Members menu --> List of users now shows Expiration 1970-1-1
    6. Options menu --> Change "Use suscription" to "Members"

And at this moment, I only see the Prolife menu (like Suscribers) plus the Membership menu. The other admin only sees the Profile menu. He had never seen the Membership menu. I don't know for sure at what step I lost sight of admin menus, but it might have been in step 5.

So, I do the following to try to revert, WITHOUT SUCESS at any stage:

7. Subscription Plans menu --> Changed 365 years to 95 years. Expiration date remains as 1970-1-1!
    8. All Members menu --> drop the subscription plan "Members" from every member
    9. Deactive the subscritption plan "Members" and the acces level "Members"
    10. Delete both
    11. Disable the plugin --> still the problem!
    12. I could delete the plugin via ftp, but I don't do it yet because then I suppose I'd lose access to its Menu too

Seems like something messed up the user database. In my profile, I have no way to tell it I'm an admin. I also notice that in All Members menu, when I hover the mouse in my own line, Subscription column it does not display "Add" as it does for the rest. I'm in big trouble. What to do?? Please, advise as soon as possible
    Jordi

• ElCaganer

I self-solved the problem and wasted quite a lot of time in it. Honestly, I'm upset about this situation. It's great to learn and I'm happy about this learning now, but I pay for a plugin because I want to avoid some painful steps in my learning curve and speed it.

I've read in various posts that this same kind of problem happened to other users in the past with this plugin: by tweaking the configuration of the plugin, they downgrade themselves from admin to subscriber without noticing and they lose admin access rights. It's a real worry for novices like me to have to get into the SQL database and tweak it, following googled tutorials. I think it's a shame that you haven't updated this plugin, preventing this concern to users (or at least issuing a clear warning and asking for confirmation about the change).

Besides, your instructions guide is confusing (I've posted about this same matter in another plugin and one theme). I went through configuring Membership plugin several times, and needed your kind support, as you see above. And now I find out that you do have another tutorial, which is much more clear !!
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/create-a-simple-tutorial-site-with-the-wpmu-dev-membership-plugin/
    Why not provindng this one by default instead?

All this would be in your own benefit. Correcting this important concern in the plugin and improving the guide would leave you free from helping users about the same issues over and over again. I'm sorry, but don't expect us the users to go through all the posts for every plugin that we install. No time. We just do a quick reading. I think that the main learnings from the posts should be used to improve the plugins and the guide (you've done so recently from another discussion we had about a different plugin. Why was not done for this one, which would have saved me and others time and worries?)

And I would like to add that for every plugin and theme of yours that I've tried (about 10 so far), I've always needed to contact your support. For every plugin or theme. Most of times were doubts on configuring. Many free plugins at wordpress.org are just install, set and go. You compensate it with a wonderfull support service: quick, clear, etc. But I think that you need to reflect on this. Maybe if your plugins (or guides better say) were better, you would have less load on your support service.

Just a customer opinion.

Cheers,
    Jordi

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.