Membership Plugin - HAving trouble with a free membership, actually locking down pages/posts.

Ok, I have installed, activated, and set access levels and subscription levels for the membership plugin. I am attempting to do a free sub, so once you register, it drops you to the Public access level, and then there are certain users (Who I manually select and set) who are at a higher level of access.

I am attempting to lock down a certain page and even though I set it as a negative for the public access level, a public person can see it. So can the higher level account I manually created.

I realize this is probably not enough detail to diagnose. Please realize I am a total absolute newbie to wordpress, and am trying. I swear. :slight_smile:

If you don't mind, start off by telling me what you need to help me diagnose this.

Side note- the instructions on the side of the plugin page, I followed. They're not the best instructions, but I believe I followed them faithfully.

I got confused, as the instructions seem to imply that categorization and/or using the positive/negative bits would lock down or open up access to specific pages and posts.

help?

Thanks!

Joshua

• jmarpet
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

I have "Public" and "Forest".

I have specified those levels in Membership->Access Levels.

I checked with the test users I set up. I manually set one of them to public, and my admin user to forest.

Public is the level I want newly signed up users to default to.
    Forest is a manually set level for very few users.

(Long story why)

Anyway, new users are not defaulting to public, even though I set it in Membership-options-stranger settings.

And when I log in as test1 (a manually set to public user), I can still see a Forest only page.

Again, please realize I'm an idiot in this stuff. :slight_smile:

Hopefully, this answered the question you asked?

Joshua

• jmarpet
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Ah wait, I did not answer it.

In answer to where did I specify those pages. I have in Membership Access levels, specified Public and Forest.

Public, when edited, has positive and negative. As I understand it, positive is "This access level has access to these resources, pages, categories, etc." Negative is the opposite. This access level is barred from access to these resources, pages, categories, etc.

Public has postive categories, and a negative page.

On http://www.forestferguson.com, you can sign up, albeit the damn signup page sends you to your profile page, rather than the first page, once you sign up.

irrespectively, the front page, a new user should be able to see. The forest page, they should not.

Hopefully this makes more sense.

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Anyway, new users are not defaulting to public, even though I set it in Membership-options-stranger settings.

If you want new users to be on the public level you need to set that level under "User Registration" in options, not the stranger level.

Is the Forest page only added into the Public level? Or do you have it in the Forest level too?

Thanks

• jmarpet
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Ok, I set the user registration options, thanks!

As for the forest page, I put it in positive for forest level, negative for public level.

I opened a new browser, cleared data, logged in with a public level id, and it still shows the forest page to the public user.

I'm really stumped. Sorry.

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya,

Just checking if it was eventually resolved in another thread? Or by yourself separately to us? Or by us over email with you? Or using our live support?

If so, no need to reply, that's great news.

If not, could you let us know by re-opening this topic, and we'll get onto it and helping you out asap!
    Otherwise, happy days, glad you got it sorted :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.