Membership Plugin - Moderate Registration

Hi,
I'm working with the Membership plugin for a client community site in conjunction with WordPress 3.3.1 and BuddyPress 1.5.5.

I've got 3 Levels of Access in place, Visitors (Strangers), Basic Member and Admins. Membership registration is working well with the BuddyPress registration form, but is it possible to have the sign ups moderated by an Admin.

Does Membership allow for this? or do you offer/recommend a plugin that works with this to allow Admins to moderate new sign ups?

Thanks!

Arun Basil Lal

Hello criana,

Welcome to the Forum!

The Membership plugin is usually used when a user pays for the registration, so moderation isn't part of the plugin yet. I mean, you have moderation to prevent SPAM usually right? I know there could be other cases when you want the membership site to be private to a club and so on.

I have seen some users actually asking the opposite with the RC1. The plugin is supposed to auto-activate the users, but in some cases they aren't auto activated unless "Enable incomplete signup accounts" is enabled.

What you can do right now is to assign a default subscription plan to every sign-up. Create a subscription plan with the Stranger Level and assign it as default. This can be done in Membership > Options > General Tab > User Registration Section > "Use subscription"

Also uncheck "Enable incomplete signup accounts".

Then you can manually move the user to the corresponding plan as part of the approval. This can be done in Membership > All Members > Hover over the Subscription Plan of the member in consideration > Click Move > Select the Subscription to move from, the Stranger Subscription plan here and the plan to move into.

It's a little work, but if you do not have too many members, this should do.

One another approach is to use the Members Plugin to create custom roles. http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/members/

In the "Advanced" tab of each Membership level, you have option to Associate a role with the level. The advanced tab is not visible if you choose "Standard Membership site" or "drip content site" in the initial wizard.

Now create different roles with different capabilities using the Members plugin. Say a Stranger Role, Basic Member Role and Admin Role. Now the Stranger role doesn't have any specific capability. And set the associated role as "Stranger Role"

As part of the moderation edit the user and change the role to one of the other two depending on membership.

Hope this helps, Let me know if you have more questions. Glad to help

and yes, Good luck with the project!

criana

HI Arun,
    Thanks for the feedback. The problem we are now running into is a user registers via the BuddyPress registration page. They are set to "Basic Membership" via the Membership plugin and they are to Inactive in the WordPress User Role.

An Admin logs in, and switches the role status to Member in WordPress > Users. But if the new user tries to click the activation link in their email they get booted back to Protected Content. As well if they try to just log in since we've now changed their status, they get the a notification from WordPress that their account has not been activated.

Any help would greatly appreciated. I have to get this working so I can train someone on how to activate new members. Many thanks in advance.

Diana