Membership plugin - only block access to one page

Hi,

I have a forum installed on my page, and would like to block access to that forum only.
I've installed the membership plugin, but can't seem how to do this.
It has to be like if you're a visitor you can see the whole site, except the forum page. When you click this it should demand that the visitor signs up.

Can i do this?

Thanks.

• mort3n
    • The Crimson Coder

Hi alexander_bach_schmidt,

Yep, you certainly can do this :slight_smile:

Set up an Access level for the Visitor. In that Access level add Pages to the Positive rules. Check all pages that a Visitor should have access to, ie. all except the forum page.

Next, set up an Access level for Member and repeat. Allow for access to the forum page.

You could set up a negative rule instead. It's a matter of taste. Each type has pros and cons.

Then, go to Membership->Options General tab and choose your Visitor level in the Stranger setting. Non-logged in users will be treated according to the Visitor rules.

Now, go to Membership->Options Membership pages tab and choose / set up a page to show when trying to access Protected Content.

Finally, go to Membership->All members and Add an Access level to each member.

The full manual is found here :

https://premium.wpmudev.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/Membership-Documentation-SJC.pdf

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

Cheers
    Mort3n

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings alexander_bach_schmidt and Mort3n,

@Mort3n thank you for the spot on answer.

@alexander_bach_schmidt Welcome to WPMU DEV!

Thanks for bringing this up, it certainly sounds like a useful customization to the plugin.

Unfortunately, it is not currently available - but we would love to put it into consideration for future development

I have moved this ticket to the applicable feature requests area and I have alerted the lead developer to the request.

It might take a bit longer than useful but alternatively, you could see if there's a developer available at wpmu jobs who could get onto it right this minute

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

• mort3n
    • The Crimson Coder

Hi alexander_bach_schmidt,

Glad it worked out!

Joe is naturally right :slight_smile:

However, one workaround that might work in your case would be to choose the registration page as the Protected Content page thereby redirecting to the registration page when trying to access protected content.

Cheers
    Mort3n

• mort3n
    • The Crimson Coder

OK.

In what way didn't the plugin solve your menu issue?

Typing in the URL doesn't give access to my site. If you are trying this using the same browser session it's probably due to the cookie still being in the browser cache.

Try clearing your browser memory and retry.

Cheers
    Mort3n

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings alexander_bach_schmidt,

Thank you for your additional input and I have been watching you folks as you try to work through this.

A visitor who can't see the item in the menu, can still just type in the URL and then access the site.

Do you have this blocked using a URL group rule by any chance?

What do you mean by simple permalinks?

Not default permalinks correct?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.