Membership plugin options

Hi WPMU,

On our site, http://www.learntotune.com we are running the membership plugin. At the moment there is only one subscription plan and one access level setup for the members, which will allow them to access both the members courses and forum.

However, I would like to separate it into two access level/plans, so basically when a new member sign-up, they pay $99 and get lifetime access to the courses page but only 1 year to the forum.

The forum access will then renew yearly, but if members don’t renew forum access, they will still have access to courses.

Please help.

Thanks.

David

• davidfan
    • Flash Drive

Hi Jack,

Thanks for your reply, if you have a look on here, you will see what the subscription was planned.

Basically, when members sign up for $99, they will get lifetime access to the courses + 1 year free access to the forums (Maybe give them a coupon code?), after 1 year, members will still have access to all courses but if they don’t renew on the the forum access ($30) then they will not see the forum.

I have tried setting it up on the staging site (dev.learntotune.com), however, I couldn’t get the correct access levels to work.

I can email you the admin login to the dev site if it’s easier for you to take a look.

Cheers,

David

• davidfan
    • Flash Drive

Hi Jack, just wondering, with the membership plugin, can member have multiple subscriptions? say if I have “Courses” subscription, access to visitors level + all courses, and another subscription “Forum” with access to visitors level + forum, can a member sign up to both subscriptions, “Courses” and “Forum” at the same time?

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there David,

Thank you for sending the details, I will login and take a look later on today.

With regards to the members having multiple subscriptions, please take a look at this thread here https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/multiple-subscriptions-for-members

And you can get the latest Beta release (note:don’t use on a live site with active members, should be used for testing) here https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/membership-344-beta

Thanks and have a great day! :slight_smile:

Kind Regards

Jack.

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there David,

I’ve been testing on my sandbox site for the past half an hour, checking the access levels, subscriptions etc. And using positive rules I’ve created a test user account with two subscriptions at the same time.

So your users could sign up for one subscription, then sign up for the other.

I did check your install, but I couldn’t see the membership menu item in your admin, I would need to be added to the membership admin.

But I believe the above would be a good work around, what do you think?

Are you currently using positive or negative rules?

Thanks and have a great day! :slight_smile:

Kind Regards

Jack.

• davidfan
    • Flash Drive

Hi Jack,

Are you running the beta version on your test site? Sorry, I have added your login to membership admin now.

I have also setup 2 subscriptions, each with their own access level (using positive role only) and tried to add both subscription plans to the “davidtest” member, however, the permissions are still not working correctly.

Cheers,

David

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi David,

I’m using the normal release version, the same as you, version: 3.4.3.1

Thank you for adding me, I’ll double check all your rules etc.

Can you explain in a bit more detail, exactly what isn’t working correctly? i.e, what content are people seeing that they shouldn’t be allowed to.

Thank you!

Have a great day!

Kind Regards

Jack.

• davidfan
    • Flash Drive

Hi Jack,

Thanks again. If you check under member “davidtest” you will see there’s two subscription plans added to this user, however, the permission on “Menu” & “Page” are not getting through correctly (this member can only see courses but not forum where he should see both if subscribed to both plans). Seems to me that only the first subscription plan/access is getting passed onto the member.

Cheers,

David

• davidfan
    • Flash Drive

Hi Jack,

Just did more testing on the dev site, here is what happened.

When the member “davidtest” only have one subscription plan(either “Courses” or “Forum” plan) added against the account, everything works fine.

However, when the member has both subscription plans added against the account, access levels don’t work correctly, and the member will only see “visitor” access level.

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there David,

I've logged in, taken a look at your settings, everything looks good, I logged out, cleared my browser cache, cookies etc, logged back in with the member test account and the access levels worked fine, I could access the forums and everything I was meant to courses etc, I've attached a screenshot of me on the forums page.

Thanks!

Kind Regards

Jack.

• davidfan
    • Flash Drive

Hi Jack,

Thanks for the reply. I have cleared all my browser cache/cookie/form data and log in as the test user. Unfortunately, the problem is still there.

Sorry I probably wasn’t clear enough in first place, the permission failures with multiple subscriptions are with the menu(navigation) and page roles. With two subscriptions added and given the positive roles setup to the test account, on the navigation the member should see a drop down under “Courses” called “EFI Tuning Fundamentals” and also link to the forum page.

I have taken a screenshot of what the test member supposed to see:

here

Cheers,

David

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings David,

Chiming in as you had requested in my live chat tonight but it appears that Jack has this under control and has log in credentials as well.

If things get too lengthy Jack can ping me on in here and we can dig in some more and I am certainly willing to lend a hand.

Sincerely, Joe

• davidfan
    • Flash Drive

Hi Joe,

Thanks for your reply, cool I will wait for Jack to take another look. Have tried a few more things today, changing positive to negative roles, using both role etc, but non works. The page permission seems to be working fine on multi subscriptions it is the menu permission keeps conflicting.

Cheers,

David

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Multiple subscriptions and their conflicts is a known issue which I’m currently working on in the beta thread. We are making headway in recent versions (see most recent posts on the beta thread) and hope to have a final fix very soon, though as it requires quite a lit of changes to the plugins code, requires quite a bit of testing / development.

Having wrote that, depending on the forum you are running, there will be / is likely to be a method that can be used to implement this functionality.

What are you using for the forum?

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

These posts are the users helping with the testing of multiple subscriptions

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/membership-344-beta#post-394406

Especially the positive rules with multiple subscriptions fix.. That is easily my favourite update you made. I can confirm that adding multiple subscriptions to a user in the backend allows their content permissions work as per the Access Level..

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/membership-344-beta#post-394523

@billzy Thanks for checking out the multiple sub fix! I was checking a different bug and didn’t think of that one. Plus, I didn’t really think of it being included in the ‘multiple bug fix’ line lol

We’re getting there, but as I wrote above it requires large chunks of code to be changed, without breaking anything :slight_smile: hence the beta versions.

As for the forum, it’s running on bbpress.

Standalone or plugin? I’ll check the settings (not touched it for a while) but it’s probably likely that you can set the forum to only allow certain roles to post, etc.. Roles on multiple subscriptions works ok, so you can have one subscription controling access to the main part of the site and the second controlling the roles to prevent posting / access to the forums. We could also use a shortcode method (again, need to check to clarify) to hide the forum completely – again shortcodes on multiple subscriptions are working correctly as well.

There are probably a few other methods that can be set up – some more indepth that others.

• davidfan
    • Flash Drive

Hi Barry,

Thanks for the clarification, it’s very helpful.

As for the forum, it’s running on bbpress 2.2.4 and it’s a plugin. . . . Does this mean that I can use the plugin permission to control access to forum ??

p.s. I am open to any solution/suggestion to fix the issue, easy or lengthy, the live site is getting good traffic and people signing up to subscriptions so I do need to have this resolved, preferably soon.

Cheers.

• Ollie
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Hey @davidfan

Sorry took me a few days to get here… busy times…

Can you please take screenshots from the backend of your subscription levels (inside them), your access levels, URL groups etc

Without seeing your screen shots here is what I had in mind;

Firstly you are going to need to test this in steps, trying to do the whole thing off the bat is going to be hard to trouble shoot… The way I look at a fix to your problem is like this;

Have a URL structure of something like this;

/members /members/courses /members/forums

Visitors are on Negative Rules: URL Group http://www.learntotune.com/members/+ (Reg Exp = On)

Course Members (access & Sub): on Positive Rules: First include all public pages/urls then also add a url group http://www.learntotune.com/members/courses/+ (Reg Exp = On)

Forum Members (access & Sub): on Positive Rules: URL group http://www.learntotune.com/members/forums/+ (Reg Exp = On)

From there Go to your access Levels and make Forum Members a Private Subscription (whilst still being active).

Run that test, signup the users into separate levels/subs and test out to see if permissions work… They should…

Next up.. Not sure if you can include the same access level twice.. but if you can this may make it easy if not its still possible just slightly more complicated.. In forum members sub, the first year could be $0 and then it upgrades to the same level with paid amounts for that subscription. (If that functionality is not possible then that’s ok you might be able to use a 4th subscription level that works the same as forum members but is paid & that only appears after a users free forum access is finished, you would do this with shortcodes ie [forummembers][/forummembers][not-forummembers][/not-forummembers])

Lastly I haven’t tried this before but I know it’s purpose… Create a ping for the members courses subscription to automatically sign a user up to the free forum subscription.

Here is a link that I assisted with that may help you navigate through some of those final tough steps. (this technique worked for me)

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/subscription-levels-display

This should work if you understand what I am saying correctly. If not and it doesnt then take all screenshots and upload them to this thread.

Cheers

Billy

• davidfan
    • Flash Drive

@Billzy

Thank you very much for your input, really appreciated. What you suggested were actually very close to what my original approach on the permission setting.

By using just the positive page roles and adding attach role(user capability) to the access levels, I managed to get what I need to show/hide the course contents for the multiple subs and only allow forum subscriber to have post permission, however, the problem I am really having is on the navigation/menu permission. I have tried both positive & negative roles on the menu permission setting but they always conflict with each access level and the navigation will revert back to the visitor access level.

@Barry,

Thanks for your reply, please let me know what would you require from my end to dig more into the issue.

As described above, I have assigned different user roles to different access levels and that seemed to do the tricks to prevent non correct access level members from posting in forum. However, this is not preventing them from viewing the forum. I was really hoping that we can control the permission on the navigation as well, so different subs plans are seeing different tabs on navigation.

Cheers,

David

• Ollie
    • The Incredible Code Injector

@davidfan

Ok so if I got that correct you are wanting to hide and show the items inside your menu dependent on the subscription/level they are on.

To my knowledge without custom coding that is not currently a feature in Membership but Barry will confirm that for you.

If that’s what you are trying to do, that is the next step for me… I use PBK Mega Menus from Theme Forest and it allows me to insert shortcodes into my menus… You could buy that plugin or you could create your own hybrid version, all it is, is a Custom Post Type handing the menus….

Alternatively which I am looking into soon is running the shortcodes through a logged in sidebar… So you would have logged in sidebar & loggest out sidebar in your widgets area… Shortcodes usually work in there but I haven’t tested membership shortcodes in the widgets yet.

Cheers

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

@davidfan – I have bbpress installed on my dev machine and am experimenting to see if I can duplicate what you are seeing. If I can’t work out how to implement with the current version of the plugin then I’ll see if I can get something experimental (at the min) in a new beta release for testing.

• davidfan
    • Flash Drive

@Billzy

Thanks Billzy, the menu/navigation rule is a built-in function with the membership plugin, within edit access level, you can find it under -> Main Rules -> Menu.

As reported earlier, it works fine on sigle subscription and even drip content access levels. But failed to work when have multiple subscriptions against one member.

I will check out the PBK menu you mentioned.

Cheers.

• davidfan
    • Flash Drive

@Barry

Thanks for your reply. As mentioned above, I managed to use different user roles to control posting on forum, and page rules are working fine with multiple subscriptions. however, my main problem is the MENU rules function under multiple subs. Would you like me to send you access to our test site and you can have a quick look on my setup?

Cheers

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi @davidfan – sorry, lost track of this one – I finished and released the update to membership on Sunday, did you manage to install the update and see if that helped any?

If not then by all means send through your details and I’ll take a direct look at your situation.

• davidfan
    • Flash Drive

Hi Barry,

I have installed the 3.4.4.1 update on the dev site, and the issue remains the same. The positive page rules are working correctly, however, the menu rules still not working with multiple sub plans. What would be the best way for me to send through the login details to dev site.

Cheers,

David

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there David,

I hope you are well today, going through some old threads and I see that this one isn’t resolved, can you please make sure all plugins and WordPress is up to date and confirm you have the same issue? We’re to help. I’ll mark it as resolved, but if this isn’t resolved, please use the mark as not resolved, re-open box.

Kind Regards

Jack.

• Doug
    • New Recruit

@jack Kitterhing:

I just want to confirm that the issue @davidfan mentions above IS still a problem (at least as of Membership v3.4.6.1). While @Billzy has described a work-around that will secure URLs, the automatic hiding of unavailable menu options still exists.

Here’s a very quick process to reproduce what I’m (and @davidfan) are seeing:

1) Install/setup fresh copy of WP v3.8

2) Install/activate Membership plugin v3.4.6.1

3) Augment the initial “Sample Page” by creating 3 new pages with titles “One”, “Two”, and “Three”.

4) Create three access levels:

a) "Visitors" (Positive Rules: Pages -> "Sample Page" & "One")
    b) "Level 1" (Positive Rules: Pages -> "Two")
    c) "Level 2" (Positive Rules: Pages -> "Three")

5) Change Membership -> Options -> General -> Use membership level to “Visitors”.

6) Visit site & confirm site menu across top only shows “Sample Page” and “One” links (both of which work).

7) Create a new user; don’t give any membership level permissions.

8) Login as new user; verify site menu still only shows “Sample Page” and “One” (both of which work).

9) As admin, add access level “Level 1” to new user’s permissions.

10) Login as new user; now see that site menu only shows “Two” (which works). NOTE: It’s a bit confusing that the “Visitor” permissions are now revoked; while this might not be seen as a bug, I personally would like to see this added as a on/off feature in a future release.

11) As admin, add access level “Level 2” to new user’s permissions. New user should now have access levels “Level 1” and “Level 2”.

12) Login as new user; now see that the site menu is completely blank. And even if you manually try to access pages “Two” and/or “Three”, you will get the “Protected content” page.

If this isn’t a bug, and instead is a “feature”, then there needs to be further documentation on this; specifically as it relates to this portion of your tutorial video.

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @doug,

Hope you’re well today and thanks for the additional information.

This should have been fixed in the last release of membership, where a member can have multiple subscriptions.

Though the visitors rights are revoked if a user has a membership, as the membership should include the access from the visitor in it’s level and any additional access.

I do agree though, that it’d be nice to get this added into the next release :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Kind Regards

Jack.

• Doug
    • New Recruit

Hi @jack Kitterhing.

Can you confirm what version it is fixed in? As per my post above, I’m using the most recent version available for download (v3.4.6.1). If you follow the steps above, you can replicate the issue I’m seeing.

Thanks!

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @doug,

Hope you’re well today, it should have been fixed in the 3.4.6.1, but your correct that it still appears to be an issue.

I’ve done some testing and can’t replicate the issue using the beta attached to this post https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/authorizenet-gateway-beta-release#post-570672

If you still have the issue with that beta version, please let me know and I’ll notify the lead developer :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Kind Regards

Jack.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.