(Membership plugin) Plugin could not be activated because it triggered a fatal error.

I have installed the membership files as per the instructions.
I then click Activate.
And I get the error : "Plugin could not be activated because it triggered a fatal error."

nothing more nothing less.
Any ideas?

• drmike

What does a check of the webserver's error logs show please? That's a good habit to get into with including in your first post when asking for help on any support forum.

Also what specific version of the plugin and wpmu are you running? Buddypress? Anything else?

What debugging have you done so far?

In case you haven't read it: http://codex.wordpress.org/Debugging_WPMU

• hkcharlie

The latest version of WPMU, BP and the plugin.
    webservers error logs :

[13-Jun-2010 08:10:54] WordPress database error Table 'backinfi_bdd2.bdd_3_membership_relationships' doesn't exist for query SELECT * FROM bdd_3_membership_relationships WHERE user_id = 1 AND sub_id != 0 made by require, require_once, include, get_header, locate_template, load_template, require_once, bloginfo, get_bloginfo, get_feed_link, apply_filters, call_user_func_array, membershippublic->add_feed_key, M_Membership->M_Membership, M_Membership->transition_through_subscription, M_Membership->get_relationships, W3_Db->query [13-Jun-2010 08:10:54] WordPress database error Table 'backinfi_bdd2.bdd_3_membership_relationships' doesn't exist for query SELECT count(*) FROM bdd_3_membership_relationships WHERE user_id = 1 made by require, require_once, include, get_header, locate_template, load_template, require_once, bloginfo, get_bloginfo, get_feed_link, apply_filters, call_user_func_array, membershippublic->add_feed_key, M_Membership->is_member, W3_Db->query [13-Jun-2010 08:10:54] WordPress database error Table 'backinfi_bdd2.bdd_3_membership_relationships' doesn't exist for query SELECT * FROM bdd_3_membership_relationships WHERE user_id = 1 AND sub_id != 0 made by require, require_once, include, get_header, locate_template, load_template, require_once, bloginfo, get_bloginfo, get_feed_link, apply_filters, call_user_func_array, membershippublic->add_feed_key, M_Membership->M_Membership, M_Membership->transition_through_subscription, M_Membership->get_relationships, W3_Db->query [13-Jun-2010 08:10:54] WordPress database error Table 'backinfi_bdd2.bdd_3_membership_relationships' doesn't exist for query SELECT count(*) FROM bdd_3_membership_relationships WHERE user_id = 1 made by require, require_once, include, get_header, locate_template, load_template, require_once, bloginfo, get_bloginfo, get_feed_link, apply_filters, call_user_func_array, membershippublic->add_feed_key, M_Membership->is_member, W3_Db->query [13-Jun-2010 08:10:55] WordPress database error Table 'backinfi_bdd2.bdd_3_membership_relationships' doesn't exist for query SELECT * FROM bdd_3_membership_relationships WHERE user_id = 1 AND sub_id != 0 made by require, require_once, include, get_footer, locate_template, load_template, require_once, bloginfo, get_bloginfo, get_feed_link, apply_filters, call_user_func_array, membershippublic->add_feed_key, M_Membership->M_Membership, M_Membership->transition_through_subscription, M_Membership->get_relationships, W3_Db->query [13-Jun-2010 08:10:55] WordPress database error Table 'backinfi_bdd2.bdd_3_membership_relationships' doesn't exist for query SELECT count(*) FROM bdd_3_membership_relationships WHERE user_id = 1 made by require, require_once, include, get_footer, locate_template, load_template, require_once, bloginfo, get_bloginfo, get_feed_link, apply_filters, call_user_func_array, membershippublic->add_feed_key, M_Membership->is_member, W3_Db->query

[13-Jun-2010 08:11:25] WordPress database error Table 'backinfi_bdd2.bdd_3_membership_relationships' doesn't exist for query SELECT * FROM bdd_3_membership_relationships WHERE user_id = 1 AND sub_id != 0 made by require, require_once, include, get_header, locate_template, load_template, require_once, bloginfo, get_bloginfo, get_feed_link, apply_filters, call_user_func_array, membershippublic->add_feed_key, M_Membership->M_Membership, M_Membership->transition_through_subscription, M_Membership->get_relationships, W3_Db->query [13-Jun-2010 08:11:25] WordPress database error Table 'backinfi_bdd2.bdd_3_membership_relationships' doesn't exist for query SELECT count(*) FROM bdd_3_membership_relationships WHERE user_id = 1 made by require, require_once, include, get_header, locate_template, load_template, require_once, bloginfo, get_bloginfo, get_feed_link, apply_filters, call_user_func_array, membershippublic->add_feed_key, M_Membership->is_member, W3_Db->query [13-Jun-2010 08:11:25] WordPress database error Table 'backinfi_bdd2.bdd_3_membership_relationships' doesn't exist for query SELECT * FROM bdd_3_membership_relationships WHERE user_id = 1 AND sub_id != 0 made by require, require_once, include, get_header, locate_template, load_template, require_once, bloginfo, get_bloginfo, get_feed_link, apply_filters, call_user_func_array, membershippublic->add_feed_key, M_Membership->M_Membership, M_Membership->transition_through_subscription, M_Membership->get_relationships, W3_Db->query [13-Jun-2010 08:11:25] WordPress database error Table 'backinfi_bdd2.bdd_3_membership_relationships' doesn't exist for query SELECT count(*) FROM bdd_3_membership_relationships WHERE user_id = 1 made by require, require_once, include, get_header, locate_template, load_template, require_once, bloginfo, get_bloginfo, get_feed_link, apply_filters, call_user_func_array, membershippublic->add_feed_key, M_Membership->is_member, W3_Db->query [13-Jun-2010 08:11:25] WordPress database error Table 'backinfi_bdd2.bdd_3_membership_relationships' doesn't exist for query SELECT * FROM bdd_3_membership_relationships WHERE user_id = 1 AND sub_id != 0 made by require, require_once, include, get_footer, locate_template, load_template, require_once, bloginfo, get_bloginfo, get_feed_link, apply_filters, call_user_func_array, membershippublic->add_feed_key, M_Membership->M_Membership, M_Membership->transition_through_subscription, M_Membership->get_relationships, W3_Db->query [13-Jun-2010 08:11:25] WordPress database error Table 'backinfi_bdd2.bdd_3_membership_relationships' doesn't exist for query SELECT count(*) FROM bdd_3_membership_relationships WHERE user_id = 1 made by require, require_once, include, get_footer, locate_template, load_template, require_once, bloginfo, get_bloginfo, get_feed_link, apply_filters, call_user_func_array, membershippublic->add_feed_key, M_Membership->is_member, W3_Db->query

my only guess is that table have not been created.

• Barry

Ok, so far we have - I've put question marks after them just in case.

The table that is causing the error exists, though the error says it doesn't?
    The database in the error message exists?
    Not using multidb?
    Everything else in the wp install works correctly?

The plugin is placed in the correct location?

Next questions are - does your mysql user have permissions to create the tables (I would assume so if you say they exist)
    Can your mysql user read the tables in that database?

However - going back to the original post - the error logs you posted don't look like they would be the ones to cause the fatal error on activation - are there any other errors that happen / show in the log that happen when you click the activate link?

• hkcharlie

The first of your questions to address is; is the plugin installed in the correct location?
    I had tried it a number of ways, but it wasn't until copying and pasting the install instructions here that they were actually clear!

"Instructions WP:
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    1) Place the membership directory in the plugins directory
    2) Activate the plugin

Instructions WPMU:
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    1) Place the membership.php file in the mu-plugins directory
    2) Place the membershipincludes in the mu-plugins directory

Alternatively, follow instructions for WP and activate sitewide."

So having a WPMU install, I decided to take the plugin out and start again, using the WPMU instructions.
    I have place the membership.php file and the membershipincludes dir, into the dir mu-plugins.

Now the plugin doesn't even show in the plugins menu.

SOS

• hkcharlie

ok - so I've been looking around and then I found this post
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/ultimate-translate-plugin-not-showing-up

Which helped to tell me that mu-plugins don't show in the plugins menu.

Such a shame I've taken two weeks to do something that with some documented instructions would have taken me two minutes.
    Leave it to me for the next person.

ps: you can close this now I believe)

• JAKing

I'm getting this same error when im trying to load the "Forum" plugin. I went into the "forum.php" file and this is what i found.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    require_once('admin.php');
    $title = __( 'Forums', 'wpmudev_forums' );
    $parent_file = 'forums.php';
    require_once('admin-header.php');
    forums_manage_output();
    include('admin-footer.php');
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

where in the "forums" folder is there a 'admin.php'? because its requiring it... and a 'admin-header.php', and 'admin-footer.php'. where are all those files, or are they calling somewhere else outside the directory???

• Mason

Hiya JAKing,

First off, welcome to WPMU DEV!

I want to make sure that you've got the plugin installed directly. In the zip file there should be some short install instructions, but they can also be found here:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/forums/installation/

Basically the forums.php file needs to go in your wp-admin directory and your forums-framework.php files goes in mu-plugins.

Let's make sure we have that correct first.

Also, in the future if you could start a new thread (as the issue being discussed here is particular to the membership plugin and not the forums plugin) that would be much appreciated.

You can always start a new thread by choosing a Forum thread from the right-hand sidebar (Such as Plugin Support) and then click "Add New" under Start a new topic, again in the right-and sidebar.

Hope this helps! Let us know if you need anything further!

Thank!