Membership Plugin problems…

I’ve been developing wordpress sites for my customers for about 3-4 years and designing websites for more than 10. I’ve probably spent 8 hours today on this plugin and cannot understand how to make it work for me.

I think my needs are pretty simple, this is what I’m looking for.

3 Levels of Membership which I’ve created.

1] Stranger Level which I call “Visitor”. It’s free and they have access to a small number of posts, but all pages.

2] Basic Subscription level. It’s free, but they need to signup/register to gain access to a larger number of posts and all pages.

3] Premium level. It’s a paid level which will last one year. They have access to the entire website.

The hiccup is that I want all headlines and excerpts visible to everyone. I only want the restriction to happen when people click on the headline.

I’ve created 3 shortcodes

visitor

basic subscription

premium

I added the [premium] shortcode to a post and it didn’t protect or hide any content but it messed up the layout of my page. It added the comments count and add comment to the right of the page and stripped the form.

I tried <!–more–> tag and that really messed up the page

Also, when you go to the Registration page, it shows the three levels but there is no form there, even though I have the form shortcode on the published page.

I’m very frustrated. Like I said, I hope it’s just me missing some steps but I think I’ve tried every scenario.

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Which part of that page are you expecting the more tag or excerpts to show on?

It looks like the main content of that page (black part) is outputing only an excerpt (using the_excerpt) in the theme, so that won’t have the more tag processed and the rest are sidebar widgets which doesn’t show more tags, and custom featured code, which probably isn’t using the_content to show the content either.

• rwilki
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

nope. the home page shows all the post headlines, which is why the black featured articles box looks so funky. it’s not showing all 5 of the articles in that category even though I’m using the more tag – which means I should see the headline and the excerpt right?

all I really wanted was ALL the headlines and the excerpts to show up, with restriction on the body of certain articles. it must be too much for the plugin to handle.

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

It has a […] at the end of it, which means it is displaying using the_excerpt, and not the_content – so the more tag isn’t being processed or looked at. If you change the theme to use the_content, does that make any difference?

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya,

As we haven’t heard back from you we’re going to assume the problem

was sorted out and mark this ticket as resolved.

If it wasn’t resolved, or you have any more questions related to this

thread please feel free to post them below and tick the ‘Mark as Not

Resolved (re-open)’ box below the post area (or else we’ll miss it!)

Otherwise, thanks for using the forums, and for being a member of WPMU

DEV, it’s a pleasure to help you out and we look forward to being of

assistance in the future.

Thanks!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.