Membership Plugin questions

I like the membership plugin but I do have a few questions. If these are answered in another post, I apologize, I was unable to find them.

Levels

When editing the membership levels, if I do not add any rules what will the member have access to?
i.e. If I do not add the "blog creation" rule to the "Free" level, does this mean they will not be able to created an blogs?
Could I get a better explanation of how the rules work? When adding a rule to the Positive Rules, does this mean they implicitly have access to everything in that rule until your add options?

Subscriptions

I am creating a monthly subscription model for my site. What is the best way to set up the values?
For instance at the free subscription level:
I would add the Free Membership level: Mode indefinite Period 365 Price blank
Would I also need to add the other levels here also?

Options

I understand the concept of shortcodes. But what do I do with this?
Say I added, "hello", as a short code, how would I use it? Seems to me you would need to add more info to know what that shortcode would do?

In the digitial/media protection section, how do you use the protected group section? I understand you add groups here (I added free, basic, premium), but now how do I use them?

What is the more tag and how does this work? How is this setting overridden within each individual level.

What are simple invite codes and how do they work?

Mason

Hiya Mike,

The Membership plugin is one of our most powerful and intricate plugins to date. Precisely because of that, there is a bit of a learning curve involved with using it. We've made every effort to make things as simple and straight-forward as possible and we've still got a ways to go!

That being said, it's best to start with a good read of the installation and usage instructions here:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/membership/installation/

I'll also try to answer a few of your questions here as best I'm able.

When editing the membership levels, if I do not add any rules what will the member have access to?

Just about nothing. Though it varies depending on the setup.

When adding a rule to the Positive Rules, does this mean they implicitly have access to everything in that rule until your add options?

Yes. In general though, I'd say best practice is to be as specific as possible (like with blog creation rules for example). If you want a specific level to have the ability to create a blog add a positive rule, if not, add it to the negative. That way there's no ambiguity about what will happen.

I would add the Free Membership level: Mode indefinite Period 365 Price blank
    Would I also need to add the other levels here also?

If you just want them to have a certain level of access for free forever then all you need to do is set it to 'indefinite' and make sure there's no money attached to it. The only reason for the ability to define # of days here is because in a paid subscription you may want to have a re-occurring payment though the subscription itself doesn't end until canceled by the user.

I understand the concept of shortcodes. But what do I do with this?

In the Levels area you can add rules based on shortcodes. They're one of the options under 'Content Rules'. Use these to easily show or hide content within a post or page. This is also explained on the usage instructions page linked to above.

In the digitial/media protection section, how do you use the protected group section? I understand you add groups here (I added free, basic, premium), but now how do I use them?

This is also explained at the link above. If you have a specific question though, don't hesitate to ask!

What is the more tag and how does this work? How is this setting overridden within each individual level.

Check out the link and also this information from the WordPress codex: http://codex.wordpress.org/Customizing_the_Read_More

What are simple invite codes and how do they work?

This is brand new and hasn't yet been added to the instructions page. It functions just the way you'd think. When a visitor wants to register for your site, they must have one of the invite codes entered in this area. Helps when you're wanting to be more exclusive or provide some way to moderate signups.

Hope this helps. If you have further questions, just let us know!

Thanks!