Membership Plugin - split revenues between Site Admins and Network Admin

This is the scenario. WP Multisite works like a Network of sites which provide special services for their premium members. Every time a member pays/upgrades for premium membership on one of those sites, revenue is shared between the admin of that particular site and Network Admin.

• robobear

OK, now I have to solve the recurring payment issue and also check few other things. So I found THIS THREAD. DavidM says:

If so, you'll need to set the AFFILIATE_PAYONCE global to 'No' (it's referenced in /affiliateincludes/includes/config.php)

1. So I guess I have to force Admins/Owners of subSites to become members and Affiliates of the top/main site so I (Network Admin) can share revenue with them every time someone subscribes to main/top domain site. Actually that's not what I wanted. I wanted to allow visitors to become payed members of the subSite they choose. Not the whole Network. But if this is the only way...

2. Or maybe I (Network Admin) should become an affiliate of every single subSite and do what DavidM said above. I could live with it but how would I actually make it work? I mean, "become a member" link should be placed on particular subSite, not on my/top site.

Let us analyze option 2. for a moment. As every one of my subSite owners/admins will also have MarketPress Plugin with revenue/percentage share activated I'm really afraid that everything could become huge mess. I mean, here I am, at the same time an Affiliate member of every single subSite but also a top/Network Admin who collects percentage from every item sold across the Multisite Network. I'm not sure if I should use same email address and username or should I signup to all subSites with different username and email address. In that case I would also have to have two PayPal accounts. One for Network Admin so I can collect percentage from every subSite MarketPress sale, and other for being Affiliate member on all subSites.

I still think that Membership plugin would benefit from "split revenue between subSite Owner/Admin and Network admin" module/add on. Until then... PLEASE HELP!

• Kimberly

robobear,

to provide a through answer I'd like to clarify what your end setup will be:

You are providing marketpress to users and enabling chained payments.

You would also like to provide links on your users' sites to sign up for your main site, thus becoming another user.

You would like to pay existing users per signup

You would also like to pay existing users a percentage of the recurring subscription from this signup.

Am I missing something?

Kimberly

• robobear

Huh... OK, let's try it this way:

Robobear is WP Multisite Network Admin. KimberlyL is owner and admin of one ore more sites in that Network. Beside Kimberly, there is nancy, Steven, Jack and many others.

All of them:

a) sell WordPress themes and plugins on their sites (MarketPress)
    b) provide free and premium content like tutorials, tips&tricks and other stuff on their sites (Membership)

Robobear collects percentage of every sale that happen in their estores (Marketpress) and also a percentage of every new premium member signup to any of those sites (Membership).

I would go with any of following:

1. New members (premium and basic level) are automatically added to all sites so after signing-up to any of the network sites (or main site). Content that they'll be allowed to see and/or download depends on their membership level. If they want to buy items inside Marketpress store they would pay like any other visitor. Robobear collects percentage from every sale but also from every Premium signup. That revenue is recurring every time Premium member extends it's membership.

2. Visitors can sign up to become members (premium or basic level) of any (one or more) Network site(s). They can also buy items inside Marketpress estore which is enabled on that particular site. Robobear collects percentage from every sale but also from every Premium signup. That revenue is recurring every time Premium member extends it's membership.

3. Both (1. and 2.)

• Kimberly

So I've been digging around with Membership and Affiliate... my test site is not a multisite so I cannot access full capability, but I've found:

2. Visitors can sign up to become members (premium or basic level) of any (one or more) Network site(s). They can also buy items inside Marketpress estore which is enabled on that particular site. Robobear collects percentage from every sale but also from every Premium signup. That revenue is recurring every time Premium member extends it's membership.

This would be your easiest and best option (barring they come out with some crazy great function allowing you to split revenue through Membership in the new release)

You will use Membership in conjunction with the Affiliate plugin (there is a membership addon) that will allow you to collect your percentage of the subscriptions. Please note: I do not believe that recurring subscriptions are supported in the membership/affiliate relationship at this time.
    Then you will have a separate PayPal Chained Payment Gateway set up through Marketpress to collect a percentage there.

No matter which route you go your Membership and Marketpress transactions will be set up in each respective plugin and take place separately. The difference between the two will be: With Marketpress you will gain a percentage off of the top. With Affiliate you will have to Pay a percentage to your members.

so in the case of:

a) sell WordPress themes and plugins on their sites (MarketPress)
    b) provide free and premium content like tutorials, tips&tricks and other stuff on their sites (Membership)

A & B are handled separately.

Does this help?

Regards,
    Kimberly

• robobear

With Affiliate you will have to Pay a percentage to your members.

OK, I understand that. Please don't go crazy and read option 2. once again:

2. Visitors can sign up to become members (premium or basic level) of any (one or more) Network site(s). They can also buy items inside Marketpress estore which is enabled on that particular site.

As I've wrote before, Robobear is Network Admin and KimberlyL is Admin and owner of a subSite created under WP Multisite. Visitors can apply for Premium membership on KimberlyL's site. There are many other subSites inside that Network and visitors can apply for Premium membership on those sites too. So how are Affiliate and Membership plugins set to work that way? You see...

Robobear collects percentage from every sale but also from every Premium signup. That revenue is recurring every time Premium member extends it's membership.

I'm not sure that I understand how will Affiliate plugin, which is activated on KimberleyL's site, know that it has to share revenue with Robobear (Network Admin). So revenue has to be shared between KimberlyL (Site Admin) and Robobear (Network Admin).

1. How do I setup those two plugins to work that way on on KimberlyL's site?
    2. How do I setup those two plugins to work that way on every site inside that Network, not just KimberlyL's?
    3. Is Kimberly Affiliate member of the Main site (example.com) or is Robbobear Affiliate member of KimberlyL's site (kimberlyl.example.com or example.com/kimberlyl)? That said, can Robober be Network Admin and Affiliate member on every site at the same time?

Thanks in advance

• Kimberly

Membership is network activated, giving each site on your network the ability to offer subscriptions.

I, Kimberly, as a user on your network, have purchased a site and offer Membership.

You, using the affiliate plugin, track my (or any other network user's) membership subscriptions, thus tracking earnings.

You cannot be your own affiliate. :slight_smile: Unless you are managing your parent site and another site on your network.

I'll ask the developer to pop in and elaborate on how the membership plugin works with the affiliate plugin.

OK, I understand that. Please don't go crazy and read option 2. once again:

My head is spinning!! :slight_smile:

Each membership installation operates independently. Each site will track each subscription separately, even if John registers on site A and site B in the network. If he buys two subscriptions then you see both, on their respective sites.

Affiliate tracks each site separately. Each user (site operator) on your network is an affiliate.

Phew! Bring it on... :wink:

Kimberly

• Kimberly

Can you please investigate when would this happen... in next 3, 6 or 12 months? It is really important.

They are in internal Beta right now.

I'm VERY low on the totem pole since I'm not official Staff yet so we newbies glean snippets of info from the Pros.

My understanding is that they are very anxious to release, and since they are in Beta behind the curtain I would imagine it wouldn't be too long.

• robobear

Membership is network activated, giving each site on your network the ability to offer subscriptions.

I understand...

You, using the affiliate plugin, track my (or any other network user's) membership subscriptions, thus tracking earnings.

If it means that every new site owner is added to Network's Admin Affiliate program, then yes - I understand... I guess :slight_smile:

Affiliate tracks each site separately. Each user (site operator) on your network is an affiliate.

This, among few other things, is what's killing me... and you, for as long as you'll keep on answering my questions. OK, what I've understood from this is that every new site owner becomes my affiliate. OK, cool. And also, I, as a Network Admin, have a chance to see who has subscribed to their Premium Membership Plan. That's also fine. But if people subscribe to their Premium Membership Plans on their sites than they'll receive all the money because they maintain Membership plugin. Their PayPal email is set inside plugin's gateway settings. How will I know if I'll ever get my cut. Am I right on this.

So I figured, maybe the best thing would be to have global Membership plans. When someone signs up to become a Premium member then he/she has access to all sites and to all Premium content. I could live with that. The only problem is that I'm afraid to ask if this is even possible.

Then I thought - OK, maybe I'll first try to find out how to automatically add existing WP users to all Network sites (which I did), and then except from Membership Plugin to automatically assign/associate them Premium User Level and Premium Subscription Plan. Maybe something similar to this but other way around. But I'm afraid that it is also not possible. Right? Right.

• Kimberly

robobear,

This should help clear up the affiliate plugin issue
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/affiliate-commissions

Also found this,

1. Does the plugin just track affiliates and log the sales associated with them?

Yes

2. Is the payment process manual (i.e. when you pay the affiliate commission)

Yes

3. Do I apply whatever percentage of the sale value (the commission) at the point of payment?

The amount you pay for each subscription is set in the membership plugin once the integration code is added - the affiliate plugin then uses this amount to assign the correct amount to the affiliate when someone signs up.

In short, you earn it all, you pay them.

We will tackle the rest of your thought process if the above doesn't clear up some things :slight_smile:

Best,

Kimberly

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.