Membership Premium

I am having a couple of issues with the Membership Plugin. I have configured and set the Edit Options. Here are the issues I am experiencing.

1. Although I set the Group URLs for my protected pages, pages are still accessible when a user is not logged in.

2. I also get the 404 page instead of the selected No Access page I created when I click on protected pages.

The pages that I am having an issue with are listed below.
http://shinshuri.com/libraries/
http://shinshuri.com/forums/

All of the Library pages display the 404 message error. How can I fix this issue to get everything working properly with the protected content that I need to publish.

I need to know what I should be doing to configure theses pages correctly to protect my content.

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya shinshuri,

This is tough to diagnose. Let's make sure we've got all the information we can. What version of WordPress/Multisite are you running? What version of Membership? Can we get some screenshots of your Membership Options and Levels pages? Glad to take a look with you.

Thanks!

• shinshuri
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Also, I have a couple of additional questions. Do I have to set the Positive and Negative rules for each Member Level? I noticed when I set the Positive and Negative rules I was able to get some page and post features to work. I', still having an issue with the Protected content page (No Access).

Also, on the URL Group options page, what is the difference between the following two options

Strip query string from URL
    Regular Expression.

Do I have to set on or both of these to get things to work properly?

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya shinshuri,

Thanks for the additional information and screenshots. The first thing I'd like you to do is use the 2.1 Beta at the top of the forums (or right here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/membership-version-21-beta-2#post-109969) It is required when running WP 3.2+

Do I have to set the Positive and Negative rules for each Member Level?

When no positive or negative rules are selected the level will function as if Membership wasn't activated at all. In other words, the default WordPress user role will be applied. This is the starting point. From there you add the positive or negative rules as needed for that level.

For your context I don't believe either option needs to be ticked for the URL Groups.

Let us know how the update goes for you. All your settings will be saved. I'd recommend completely deleting the membership folder from wp-plugins and uploading the new one from the forums.

Thanks!

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Just reading through, but can I suggest that you don't have spaces in your shortcodes (in the options page) as they just won't work with WordPress.

Can you also post up the URL groups pages as you say you are having problems with those so it would be good to see what URLs you have in there.

• shinshuri

Hi Mason/Barry

I installed the beta version for WP 3.2.1 and everything began working out as expected. Now, I have a major hiccup going on with the Membership Plugin.

As I was testing out the various member level subscriptions. I signed up to one of my own subscriptions as the admin on my site and now I cannot access any of my dashboard widgets, plugins, themes, etc.. (essentially everything I need to manage my entire site has simply disappeared.).

Here are a couple of screen shots from my admin site.

• shinshuri

How can I remove the membership and gain back control of my site? I tried uninstalling the plugin from the server but that doesn't work. I even tried disabling the membership plug from the dashboard but that doesn't work either. How can I remove this subscription and get my full dashboard control again. Please help. Thanks!

Shinshuri

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya Shinshuri,

We'll probably have to edit things directly in the database to get this back up and running correctly.

In the wp_usermeta table there is a meta_key called wp_capabilities. Look for the record with the User ID for your account (if you're the original admin, this would be 1).

In a WordPress install w/o Membership, this value looks like this:
    a:1:{s:13:"administrator";s:1:"1";}

With membership installed it should look like this:
    a:2:{s:15:"membershipadmin";s:1:"1";s:13:"administrator";s:1:"1";}

Can you verify that you have one of those two in this area. If not, please modify it. Also, be very careful as working in the database can cause damage if not done properly.

Let us know if that brings it back up for you. Thanks

• shinshuri

Hi Mason:

Here is the meta information I found in the database for my user account as the first admin.

a:2:{s:15:"membershipadmin";s:1:"1";s:10:"subscriber";s:1:"1";}

What part of this meta information should I change.

Thanks

• Loggy
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

I have also locked myself out of admin by removing admin rights from all admin users - 'by accident' ! And the solution above is correct (it doesn't matter which order you have the roles BTW). You can delete and re-install most plugins with relative impunity although sometimes WP will choke and give you a rude message. The bigger problem is that the XX_options table can grow excessively from plugins and themes that don't remove their entries when they are deleted. It can be useful if you are trying various versions but a general tidy plugin would be helpful. Compare an old implementation with a new build with the final set of plugins and theme.

Most things are stored in the XX_options (site wide) or XX_usermeta (for users) tables and you need to unserialize/serialize (sorry about the spelling!) any string that starts with a: to understand them. All the other membership stuff is stored in tables starting with XX_m_. Time spent studying the structure of tables is invaluable IMHO but not much use if you want a quick fix!

• shinshuri

All is well regarding the issues I had with the plugin before. but, I have some new issues which I notices today after coming back to work from the weekend. Here are the following issues that I currently have.

1. The embedded images located on my About page does not show up to site visitors when visiting the site. All other pages have no issue, but site visitors cannot see the image. See link http://shinshuri.com/about

2. New members that login to my site under their newly created member account see the following page codes throughout the site. I have no idea what is causing this issue. It was not an issue on Friday before I left work for the weekend. See attached screen shot Member Logged In Issue.

3. I created a subscription button to replace the standard PayPal subscription button, but it shows up twice. The first subscription button shows up as well as the PayPay default button, How can I remove the second buttons fro the subscription sign up page.

4. When a visitor signs up they are automatically placed in the Personal Leadership Membership. It is my free basic membership to the site. However, if they decide to pay for a subscription upgrade to another group. The intent is for them to pay for the upgrade before being allowed to access the next level of membership. Currently, the membership is upgraded without going through the subscription checkout for payment although I have configured settings for all paid membership levels. Is there an issue with my paid subscription configuration sequence? I'd need help on this.

Any help will be appreciated.

Shinshuri

• shinshuri

The image won't attach no matter how much I try to edit the size. So my only other suggest is to have you recreate the problem by signing up as a member for the purposes of testing out the issue as a new member. Then visit my site after logging in as a member and you will see the problem with code displaying everywhere on every page. It only does it with member subscriptions. My admin account is working fine.

I'm not sure if it has something to do with the fact that I could not access my admin previously or not. But insight into this recurring issue would be appreciate!

Thanks,
    Shinshuri

• shinshuri

Ok. I thought all was working well. I just tried to access my admin area again. I am in, but when I try to access active plugins. I get the following message. I don't know what is happening here. I have not made any changes since I made the database change you recommended last week. After, I did that everything was working fine. know I get the following message whenever I try to access active plugins from my admin site.

Things are really wacky. HELP!

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya,

Apologies but I'm having a heck of a time getting the site to load some of the pages. I'm not able to get to the membership registration page (it eventually times out or gives a 404) or the direct image link:
    http://shinshuri.com/member-libraries/2011/01/tamm%C3%A93_sm-224x300.jpg

Not sure what's going on, but my hunch is it's a setup issue. Have you tried contacting your hosting provider to see if they have any suggestions on what's causing the delays?

Thanks.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.