Membership Pro 2 - First month free setup

Hi

I speak to the WPMU live chat before upgrading to Membership Pro 2 and he told me that I could offer first month for free and then normal payment by using coupons.

I now created a coupon that offers 100% discount, but this don't seems to be for the first month but for ever.
How should I setup this to work only for the first month?

• Tyler Postle

Hey Anders,

Welcome to the WPMU DEV Community!

To give the first month free you would want to activate the "Trial Period" add-on :slight_smile: you can do that via:

Membership 2 > Add-ons.

Once it's active then go to the membership you've already created or create a new one and you will see a trial option that you can turn on and then set how long it is.

It will still ask for their payment information when signing up but it won't charge anything until the free trial is up and they can cancel that future payment at any time from the membership page.

If you have any further questions on this just let us know.

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Tyler Postle

Hey Anders,

Sorry for my delay on this. The coupons feature doesn't have the option to do 1 month discounts - it will always apply to each one; however, right now the stripe gateway does force it to only apply once. Which is actually a restriction on stripes end last I heard from the developer as it was originally meant to apply to each month as well.

I'll make sure to find out which sales convo this was in to inform the sales person that it won't actually allow for this(yet).

With that said, I'm going to message our developer as well and see if this is something that we could implement a workaround for in the meantime.

Either the developer or myself will post back here once he's online and I hear back.

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Anders

Hi

Thanks for your reply.
    It's sadly to hear that it's not possible to apply coupon to only first month as this was the primary reason why we wanted to upgrade.

Are you planning to add this feature to the coupon addon?
    I think this is such a simple and useful feature that can be used on most Membership sites.
    Almost every membership site I sign up for offer some promo where first month is cheaper.

• Tyler Postle

Hey Anders,

It wouldn't automatically setup the paid membership after the trial plan ended because it needs to be confirmed through the gateway.

Also, I spoke with one of our developers and changing the coupon to take 100% off the first payment wouldn't actually work with PayPal gateway as PayPal won't process a $0 sale, so you would get an error. It is possible to setup a subscription that starts at $0 with PayPal as we do in the trial, but it wouldn't work in the same fashion when using a coupon.

I think the best option here would be to make a second membership that has the trial option but make it private, so it won't show up on your registration. Then for the users that you want to give the first month free too you send them to a special registration page that is hidden from everyone else where they can register for the trial version of the membership.

You could use this shortcode to add a registration to the hidden page that will send them directly to checkout for the trial membership.

[ms-membership-register-user membership_id="5"]

"5" being the id for the membership that includes the trial.

Hope that helps! If you do still have further questions on that just let me know :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Anders

Would my idea with trial subscription that automatically switch to paid membership after first month work with Stripe then?

Your idea with a hidden page with a special trial membership... I guess I should set this to end after 30 days.
    But then the customer will need to manually signup for a paid subscription after the first month?

I remember I have previously signed up for some subscription with Paypal, where the first month was free and then after first month the paid subscription automatically started.
    Like this: https://www.paypalobjects.com/webstatic/en_US/developer/docs/pps/demo_subscribe-review-page.gif
    https://developer.paypal.com/docs/classic/express-checkout/ht_ec-freeTrialRecurringPayments-curl-etc/

In the old version of the plugin we had a 7 days trial in a period that was setup as a subscription or access level and as I remember the paid subscription automatically started after these 7 days.
    But maybe I remember wrong?

• Tyler Postle

Hey Anders,

Your idea with a hidden page with a special trial membership... I guess I should set this to end after 30 days.
    But then the customer will need to manually signup for a paid subscription after the first month?

This will work exactly how you want it too as we've developed the trial add-on to communicate the free subscription properly; however, with coupons it wouldn't work that way. Sorry, that might have been confusing. I was just saying that even if coupons did only apply to the 1st period, it wouldn't work with PayPal.

Using the free trial option on the other hand, will work exactly how you want it too :slight_smile:

In the old version of the plugin we had a 7 days trial in a period that was setup as a subscription or access level and as I remember the paid subscription automatically started after these 7 days.
    But maybe I remember wrong?

You are correct and this is the same way it will work with the free trial add-on too.

Would my idea with trial subscription that automatically switch to paid membership after first month work with Stripe then?

It wouldn't work with stripe either; however, the above trial option will and keep in mind coupons for Stripe only apply to the first month instead of every subscription payment(limitation of stripe) so you could try your coupon method too(only with stripe).

Hope that helps and if you still have any further questions just let us know.

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Anders

I just checked the coupon method with Stripe, but it dosen't seem to work.
    Cause when I apply my coupon with the value 100% it remove my Paypal and Stripe button and just shows a "Signup" button with a sandbox label.

I tried to setup a new membership level called "trial" and entered price of 10DKK and enabled the trial toggle for it.
    But when I try to signup I don't need to pay with Paypal or Stripe (like I needed for trial with the old plugin version).

• Anders

@Tyler Postle Sounds good.

I have created a membership called "Trial" where I set the price to a specific price which match the price for our cheapest membership type.
    I also activated the "Offer trial period" and set this to 30 days.

My question is now... Will the name of the subscription still be called "Trial" after these 30 days where the payment automatically starts? I guess yes.

Is it possible to offer the trial membership called "Trial" for 30 days for free and then the user is automatically moved to our cheapest membership called "Rehab"?
    It looks stupid when the user later check the membership name and it's called "Trial" when they are paying for it.

I see under "Payment Frequency" that I can set this to 30 days and 1 payment and then use "after this payment ends" function. (See my screnshot)
    But I'm not sure this will work??

Also when do you plan to fix Trial add-on to work with Stripe?

• Anders

Also we have a huge problem with the coupon add-on.
    We have given 20% discount to some users, that should pay 20% less every month.
    The problem is when they enter their coupon they can choose from Paypal or Stripe.
    If they choose Paypal it charges the price minus 20% every month.
    If they choose Stripe it charges the price minus 20% the first month and then normal price after this. Without the user is noticed about it will draw the full price after first month! This is a huge problem for us.
    When Stripe works this way it should give message like ""20% off for the first month then normal price" before the user signup.

The dream scenario in my opinion would be to make this as an option when creating a new coupon.
    So let's say I create a new coupon with 25% discount and then their should be a checkmark with "This coupon only apply for the first month".
    And of course this should work with both Paypal and Stripe.
    And users should be informed before signing up if the discount apply for first month only or every month.

• Tyler Postle

Hey Anders,

I see under "Payment Frequency" that I can set this to 30 days and 1 payment and then use "after this payment ends" function. (See my screnshot)
    But I'm not sure this will work??

This won't work how you're expecting it too. You're wanting it to automatically jump the next membership and continue with the payments correct? Since it's a completely different membership, they would need to go through the checkout process again so Stripe/PayPal can setup the subscription again.

Also when do you plan to fix Trial add-on to work with Stripe?

I am asking the developer about this :slight_smile:

Without the user is noticed about it will draw the full price after first month! This is a huge problem for us.

I agree, it is suppose to work the way PayPal does, but Stripe's API is making this a little tricky. We have an update coming soon and I believe the developer has already fixed the message, but I'm messaging them about this too just to make sure.

The dream scenario in my opinion would be to make this as an option when creating a new coupon.
    So let's say I create a new coupon with 25% discount and then their should be a checkmark with "This coupon only apply for the first month".
    And of course this should work with both Paypal and Stripe.

I completely agree with this idea too and it's already marked as a feature request. Of course, the bug fixes take priority right now then we can work on adding features like this :slight_smile:

My question is now... Will the name of the subscription still be called "Trial" after these 30 days where the payment automatically starts? I guess yes.

Back tracking a bit here to address this question that I didn't directly answer above. Yes, it would remain "Trial".

I'll reply back with an update once I hear back from the dev :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Sajid

Hi @kontakt105,

Hope you are doing good today :slight_smile:

With trial period there will be no payment profile will be created on signup. This is free trial without any credit card or PayPal payments.

When trial ends an email will be generated to the member to complete the checkout process and create recurring payment profile for automatic transactions afterwards.

You can edit Trial Ends email notification from Membership 2 > Settings > Automated Email Responses and select subscription trial finished.

If the you don't see this email template in dropdown then make sure you have enabled Additional Automated Messages ad-on from Membership 2 > Add-ons.

Take care and have a nice weekend :slight_smile:
    Cheers, Sajid

• Tyler Postle

Hey Anders,

It should create a subscription when using PayPal, but you need to have this constant in your wp-config.php:

define( 'MS_PAYPAL_TRIAL_SUBSCRIPTION', true );

Sorry about that. My fault, I forgot to mention this further up when I let you know it was added.

If you still have further issues with that then just let me know :slight_smile:

Keep in mind this only works with PayPal right now, so I'd recommend limiting that membership to PayPal checkout.

Cheers,
    Tyler

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.