Membership: Correct that a "Finite" subscription is set to Automatically Renew?

Hi!

I'm attaching 2 screen shots. You'll notice that in our membership subscription (a free level), it is set to a finite period. If the user checks their subscription status, their membership is indicated as "set to automatically renew."

At the end of the this free membership subscription, we want the member to have to select one of the paid subscription options.

Does this appear to be correct; that their finite membership would indicate "set to automatically renew," and upon expiration of this finite membership, how exactly does this system prompt the user to subscribe under a new plan? Is it only their email notification, or does something happen when they login?

Thank you for your help!

• Michael Bissett

Hey @James Wolfensberger! :slight_smile:

Not sure how it came up as being set to automatically renew, I just tried testing a signup on your site with that subscription level, and didn't have that come up.

That said though, Finite subscriptions wouldn't automatically renew, that would be done with Serial subscriptions. :slight_smile:

In regards to letting them know about the expiration, you could set up a message to be sent to users with that subscription level inside of:

Membership -> Communications

How does that sound? :slight_smile:

Please advise,
    Michael

• James Wolfensberger

I'll test a few more members to check on the "set to automatically renew" question and see what I find there.

I understand about Membership>Communications, but what is the user's experience if they fail to receive or notice the emails? Do they login, and if their subscription has expired, they simply have no access to anything and will sort of have to "figure out" (or contact us) to go to the subscriptions/join page?

And just as a gee-whiz question... I'm guessing that when you created your account, you just stopped before going through the paypal gateway? Or were you in a development mode via Support Access? Just curious how that works.

Thanks Michael!
    James

• Adam Czajczyk

Hey @James Wolfensberger! :slight_smile:

You may want to create a page and place some shortcodes inside, just like this:

[level-visitors]
    [subscriptiontitle subscription="1"]
    [subscriptiondetails subscription="1"]
    [subscriptionprice subscription="1"].
    [subscriptionbutton subscription="1"]
    [/level-visitors]

Of course exchange "1" with the subscription plan ID - the one you want your members to signup for. Also create an infinite free subscription level (you can of course exclude all the post and pages from it) in addition to the one you already have. This basic plan will be accessible by any member with or without any subscription (remember to update [level-visitors] shortcode with a shortcode for this free level in the code above).

The last step would be provide members with the link to that page (remember not to exclude it from viewing).

I hope that helps.
    Cheers,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.