[membership Pro] Membership Pay per view

Hi,
Just curious if I could run both plugins, Pay Per View and Membership Pro without any major errors.
I'm sure there might be conflicts as they would fight over control of the content.
Have you guys tried it?

I'm trying to have an extra option to Membership levels, pay just for one specific post/page.

Suggestions maybe?

thanks.

• Damir
    • New Recruit

While I'm here can you help me setup the plugin to get results I need.

1. I have one single membership level, it is paid level

I don't want to allow free registration, only membership registrations but your registration shortcode still allows people to register for free.

How can I get this?
    Registration ONLY with membership payment?

thanks.

• Damir
    • New Recruit

Also when user registers then confirms email they are taken to account page but no option to buy membership?

Is there a way to make this more easy?
    User comes to protected content post/page, they see buy membership button, they click on it and are presented to make a payment and then are logged in if payment successful?
    No registration first, it's too complicated and confusing, besides I don't want to allow free registration only memberships.

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Damir

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

Just curious if I could run both plugins, Pay Per View and Membership Pro without any major errors.
    I'm sure there might be conflicts as they would fight over control of the content.
    Have you guys tried it?

The Membership plugin doesn't protect any content until you actually set it do so. You need to assign memberships to the posts/pages (or other content) that you want to protect or use Membership 2 Pro shortcodes to protect parts of the post/page.

Whether they will "fight for protection" or not? That depends on the setup. If you use Pay Per View shortocde to protect post/page that is not protected at all by Membership 2 Pro or is protected by its protection rules instead of its shortocdes - that should be fine. If you put PPV shortcode inside the content that's already inside M2P shortcodes (or the other way around) - that's not an expected scenario so it might cause issues. It might work but it would have to be tested first.

I don't want to allow free registration, only membership registrations but your registration shortcode still allows people to register for free.

If you only have a single membership and it's set to be paid - and there's no "Default"-type membership enabled - the plugin will require users to pay to get access. To be specific: when a user will go to registration, the plugin will first ask to sign up for the membership, then go through the registration form (which is necessary as there must be a user account in order to apply membership rules) and make payment. Technically, it is possible that user will skip payment step though. In such case user will have account without making payment but it will only give that user access to unprotected content, they will not be able to access any content that is protected with the Membership 2 Pro memberships or protection rules.

Is this what you're asking about our there actually is some explicit option to make "free registration"?

If so, that would mean that there's either something that is not configured properly or there's some other plugin (or some theme feature) that's overriding default Membership 2 Pro behavior and I'd need to check it. In such case would you please enable support access to the site so I could take a closer look? To do so, please go to the "WPMU DEV -> Support" page in your site's back-end and click on "Grant Support Access" button there, then let me know here once it's done.

Also when user registers then confirms email they are taken to account page but no option to buy membership?

Yes, this happens, unfortunately, though it should not. It's a bug and we're already aware of it, our developers are looking into it to find a fix so I believe one of the upcoming updates should include the patch for it.

As for now, it would be recommended to actually disable the confirmation option in "Membership 2 -> Settings -> General" to simplify the process, especially since the membership on site is paid so the payment would also serve as a kind of "confirmation".

User comes to protected content post/page, they see buy membership button, they click on it and are presented to make a payment and then are logged in if payment successful?
    No registration first, it's too complicated and confusing, besides I don't want to allow free registration only memberships.

You can edit "Protected Content" page and/or protection message for the membership and instead of its current content use a shortcode there:

[ms-membership-buy id="123"]

where "123" would be an ID of your membership (the same number as used in protection shortcodes).

This will show a "buy" button instead of the login/register form and after clicking that button visitor will be taken straight to the registration form and after that to payment form - skipping the membership selection step. However, it's not possible to skip the registration process if a user is not an already logged in user.

The Membership 2 Pro plugin must be able to identify the user properly and for this a user account is necessary. An account cannot be created without user giving any data and the payment gateway "connection" is simply not enough for this. So the simplest process possible would be:

- visitor opens a page and since it's protected, a protection message shows up
    - this message includes the button (as explained above) to buy membership so visitor clicks on it
    - visitor fills in the form and submits it (for registration)
    - makes payment
    - is taken to a tank you page from where they can go anywhere, this time seeing any protected content.

Please note: this will only work that way upon registration. If a person that's already a member will visit protected content, then if they're logged in, they'll just see it. IF they are not logged in, they'd have to login - if you keep the login form in protection message (so you only add the "buy button" isnstead of replacing the login form with it) they'll be taken back to this content after logging in.

Kind regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.