Membership problem

I've installed membership and now when you click on the registration button, instead of a sign-up, the message is that Registration has been disabled even when not disabled in the network settings. If I disable in network settings - The register button disappears.
I have 2 active levels that are both free: Visitor, Member (free) and 1 inactive level for future:stuck_out_tongue:remium (fee)
1 active subscription: Basic for Members (free) and 1 inactive Premium for Premium content

I have the stranger settings to Visitor and Use subscription set to Basic.
I initially did not create a Registration page because your instructions in the Please Note said that if you don't want to offer paid subscriptions on your site then you don't need to create a registration page. However, I got the message that the "Registration was Disabled" - so I created a Registration page with shortcode [subscriptionform] and disabled the registration at the network admin. In this scenario, I don't get the registration button. What could be wrong here and what is the best approach for structuring this more for the future than today?

• DavidM

Hiya antKat,

In saying you don't get the Registration button, do you mean you're not seeing a way to get to the next step of the registration process, or to the completion of registration?

Also, I'll take a look with the installation instructions there as that may need to be updated. I'll get that verified, but I believe the registration page is now a requirement as compared to past versions. That may just answer your second question in itself.

Thanks,
    David

• Barry

I've installed membership and now when you click on the registration button, instead of a sign-up, the message is that Registration has been disabled even when not disabled in the network sett

This sounds like your users are going to the WP registration page and not the one you have set up as the Membership subscription page (the one with the subscriptionform shortcode in it).

Can you confirm the URL that you are seeing this message on is the page you created with the shortcode in it?

• antKat

David & Barry,
    Prior to installing and activating Membership, the network was set to allow both sites and user accounts can be registered. Following the directions with the Membership install, I went and disabled the allow registrations. However, when I did this, the login screen no longer has a link to register. If I go back and allow registrations in network settings, the register link reappears but it redirects to the original wp-signup.php rather than the new register page created for membership.

• DavidM

Hi antKat,

It's true, the login page wouldn't display the option to register under the circumstances, but perhaps you could use a plugin like Theme My Login to bring that to the front-end where you could easily customize it?
    http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/theme-my-login/

Did you have other concerns regarding the registration though? I wasn't sure if the crucial issue was the registration option upon login?

Thanks,
    David

• antKat

David,
    The Register link is not just removed from the login page but also the Register on the site itself (which I had been using a menu plug-in for) . I can understand that the membership plugin is taking over registration, but it seems very odd that the plugin would not have a replacement for this functionality (or mentioning this in instructions) and that I'm supposed to add another plugin. I can get Theme my login for the login page; what do you suggest for the main site?

I don't know what other issues or conerns I will be running into because I have not yet seen what the registration page with the [subscriptionform] looks like. My sign-up page included other plugins such as my logo, password on sign-up, email login, blog-type along with the standard option of both registering as user and site. I hope that all of these will still be functioning - but won't know until I have register link that calls up the new membership registration page.

• Barry

The Register link is not just removed from the login page but also the Register on the site itself (which I had been using a menu plug-in for) . I can understand that the membership plugin is taking over registration, but it seems very odd that the plugin would not have a replacement for this functionality (or mentioning this in instructions) and that I'm supposed to add another plugin.

The idea is that you sell your subscriptions and place your own jazzy looking "sign up here for x per month" links and images all over the front of your site and the protected content pages to direct people to your new registration page.

Have a look at http://www.izzyvideo.com/ and http://pro.gigaom.com/

• TamahomeJenkins

I was having the same problem as the OP. I wanted to use the WordPress default registration page, but every time I would click register, it would say, "Registration is disabled." This is despite the fact that registration was enabled in WP, and that if I disabled the Membership plugin, registration was enabled again.

The problem was in defining the access level for strangers. If you have it setup in WP's default settings that strangers can register and create new sites, then you can't put Blog Creation in the negative rules. When I moved Blog Creation (which I mistakenly thought meant blog posts as opposed to sites) to the positive rules section, it worked for me.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.